Tickets for traffic violations in Thailand to be printed in English

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are people here so skeptical? I have been here for over 30 years and never once had a fine and yes I drive a car and used to ride a motorbike. It isnt really difficult to remain fine free, just stop thinking you can do as you wish and you wont get fined.

Same here. Fined once for not wearing proper helmet (bicycle helmet, which I had been wearing for last 5 years). Friendly copper. Showed me the official fine-rates on a plastified sheet. Pointed out that I could also be fined for not having ID nor DL on me (substantially more expensive than the helmet thingy which was only 200thb) but he let that go. I got the fine and went to police station to pay, where a female copper asked if i needed English assistance (not needed). So, no complaints here. Honestly it was a professional job and no positive discrimination for the farang (plenty of Thais were also fined at the same spot that moment)...

Exactly. I have been stopped by police and they have checked my license and the like but they have always been friendly and with everythng in order never had a problem

Why are people here so skeptical? I have been here for over 30 years and never once had a fine and yes I drive a car and used to ride a motorbike. It isnt really difficult to remain fine free, just stop thinking you can do as you wish and you wont get fined.

Let me guess, you also have never over paid for anything, never saw a cheating Thai, and your home was perfectly built using Western standards. ;-)

My house was but I supervised the build. No all the Thai's we have had to do any work have done what they were supposed to do.

BiB must all learn English then...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif don't make me laugh

Ive actually found most can speak passable english.... up until the point I start loosing my rag at them cause they are blatantly rorting me.... then its nothing but Thai from them but they are shocked when I reply in Thai as well.

I have been here 25 yrs as well but pulled over many, many times probably only 2-3 of which were legitimate. Riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk, a policeman jumped out of the bushes into my path and stopped me. Wrote a ticket which I assumed had something to do with riding on the sidewalk. No. The citation said that I had run a red light. The nearest red light was about 1 km from that spot and I did not come from that direction. Since it was written in Thai, I was unable to ascertain the bogus charge until I was informed by my wife to pay 1,000 Bt and forget about it. Hence, there is everything to be skeptical about when it comes to dealing with the authorities here.

I have been here 25 yrs as well but pulled over many, many times probably only 2-3 of which were legitimate. Riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk, a policeman jumped out of the bushes into my path and stopped me. Wrote a ticket which I assumed had something to do with riding on the sidewalk. No. The citation said that I had run a red light. The nearest red light was about 1 km from that spot and I did not come from that direction. Since it was written in Thai, I was unable to ascertain the bogus charge until I was informed by my wife to pay 1,000 Bt and forget about it. Hence, there is everything to be skeptical about when it comes to dealing with the authorities here.

Shouldnt have been on the sidewalk. I assume in your home country just like mine sidewalks are for pedestrians not motor bikes. You got what you deserved

I drive a lot and I've received exactly one traffic ticket in the last three years in Thailand and it was justified. I've been in the Netherlands for the past two months, driving carefully and actively trying to avoid getting any tickets and I've received two tickets so far.

Shouldnt have been on the sidewalk. I assume in your home country just like mine sidewalks are for pedestrians not motor bikes. You got what you deserved
In fact the idiot got off very lightly! I would think that in the majority of 'western' countries the fine for riding a motorbike on the pavement would at the very least be 5 times as much as 1,000THB, along with points on drivers licence and possibly even a period of disqualification.

As previously pointed out these prats think they can do what they like, safe in the knowledge that the fine they get will be a pittance. I've no doubt that they wouldn't dream of doing the same thing in their home countries. A 1000 baht fine to a low paid Thai worker is several days salary - whereas it does not even represent an hours work for the average westerner. Perhaps in the same way that there is dual pricing at NP's there should also be a dual fining system for foreigners - so that these arrogant idiots get hit where it really hurts them - in their supply of Chang vouchers.

Edited by Shadychris

Same for me but even longer. I came first in Thailand mid-fifties after going to be thrown out of Indonesia by Sukarno when I was looking for a place to hang my hat.

People writing the post should read in-depth what the article is about.

In this case they all overlook that the new traffic citation form is going to be a DUAL language form.

Absolutely no different than the Dual Language (Thai - English) PROXY FORM which I have been using in Thailand not for weeks, months but for decades.

Nothing wrong with this DUAL language Traffic citation Form and as for the BIB having to learn English it is totally ridiculous as with all Dual language form anywhere in the world people only gyrate to the language they are familiar with (their own).

Foreign vehicles "flood" into Thailand?? Probably better to print the forms in Chinese as I don't see many people driving from Worthing or San Francisco to Thailand.

New forms will, naturally, have a list of offences and appropriate fines. Amongst which will be:

1, Killing a Police Officer. Must buy a ticket to Malaysia

2 .Not wearing seat belt. Vehicle has no seat belts. Fine 100B

3. Killing several people. Voluntary Community Service if surname contains Na

4. Overtaking on inside lane. Fine 100B

5. Failing to stop at red traffic light. Fine 200B

6. Driving pickup with 20 passengers in rear. If Thai 10 B per person. If not Thai: Deportation.

7. Driving with No Licence. Fine 200B

8. Stopped on suspicion of offence on or after 26th of the month. Fine 500B to defray officer's expenses until pay day

9. Lost playing cards the night before, minimum fine for any traffic violation 200B .

How many tickets does each book have? Assuming they have 50 per book, that would amount to 1,415,000 tickets to be issued by August 1. I.e 14 weeks! That is 101,071 tickets per week, or 14,438 per day!!! The police will be busy over the next 3 months :-)

Business as usual, just gathering revenue, following standard practice.

Now you'll be able to read their 'trumped up' charges....before, it didn't matter, coz you didn't know what the fines were for. Now you can say "oh look, i've been done for knocking Somchai off his motorcy while he was 100 metres away".

What they also should do is to connect the fines to an online system so every fine will be reported directly to HQ. That would reduce the risk of corruption, and every driver that has been fined should be able to check the data of their offense online.

Edited by balo

In fact the idiot got off very lightly! I would think that in the majority of 'western' countries the fine for riding a motorbike on the pavement would at the very least be 5 times as much as 1,000THB, along with points on drivers licence and possibly even a period of disqualification.

As previously pointed out these prats think they can do what they like, safe in the knowledge that the fine they get will be a pittance. I've no doubt that they wouldn't dream of doing the same thing in their home countries. A 1000 baht fine to a low paid Thai worker is several days salary - whereas it does not even represent an hours work for the average westerner. Perhaps in the same way that there is dual pricing at NP's there should also be a dual fining system for foreigners - so that these arrogant idiots get hit where it really hurts them - in their supply of Chang vouchers.

I totally agree with you. They do things they know they could never get away with back home and then complain when they get a fine. Thailand doesnt need people like that. Many complain that they were fined for not wearing a crash helmet but back home they would be fined a lot more for not wearing one. They tend to forget that

Will the ones written in English attract the extra cost for foreigners ?

Should do as we have all been taught to drive properly and respect the laws. The Thai's have bad training so to some extent it is a fault of the system as much as it is the person.