Ow Travel And Long Term Visas

On my last two trips travelling from the US to Thailand the airline staff checked to make sure my return flight and visa length corresponded. That is, I was not allowed to get on the plane unless my return date was within the length of time covered by my visa.

Now I am planning on travelling to Thailand on a one year visa. Can I now go on a OW ticket or do I also have to have a return ticket in this case?

The airline should have only been checking that you had a visa as there is no requirement that you have return travel within dates of a visa. The requirement is that if you do not have a visa you must have return travel within the allowed visa free entry period.

You should not need a return ticket but you can confirm this with airline if you have any doubt. They could be marching to their own drummer. :o

I fly United Air lines, and they always check to make sure you have a return ticket. Not sure on the other airlines. Just think its the US airlines that require a return ticket or even ask if you have one.

I fly United Air lines, and they always check to make sure you have a return ticket. Not sure on the other airlines. Just think its the US airlines that require a return ticket or even ask if you have one.

No, basically all airlines check and require either a visa or in lack of it a ticket

with a confirmed return- or onward travel date within 30 days. (For qualified Nationals)

In my own experience, I travel to Bangkok abt. 15 times a year, always on the last voucher ending in BKK and show a p/port without visa. Abt. 50% of all check-in staff ask me for a visa (which is in another book). Guess the other 50% are just too busy. I use CX, SQ, TG, LH and AF.

The Thai immigration does not really challenge you and admits you on the visa-exempted entry up to 30 days (if qualified national) but bear in mind, if for whatever reason entry would be denied, the airline has to fly you out and has to pay a fine.

I buy a return ticket BKK-USA-BKK every year. I have yet to have any airline staff ask to see my visa upon check-in in the US. I have flown EVA and China Airlines, this year I fly United. Will see if they give me any problem or not.

sbk,

With your visa you should not have any problems with United Airlines, they will just ask to see your visa. I do 4 or more trips to the US each year, as long as the visa is current , no problem with the return (no return ticket required): since this is our starting point.

I have made 4 trips since January and every time United wanted to see my visa. This is flying out off LA, San Franisco, and Portland. Last year in Frankfurt flying Thai, they wanted to see my visa since I was returning to Thailand.

I have had Northwest ask me about visa but I tell them I am travelling onward to other countries after arrival here, which is true. They did not probe any farther just wanted to make sure I knew thai visa requirements. Also, from US you get no discount buying a one way ticket over an r/t. in fact a o/w may be more expensive