Whats it like living in Chatuchak?

alexpoker

Hey all,

Living in CM, Im considering relocating to BKK. However I would be travelling to CNX every week for a few days, which is why Im considering living closer to the airport.

Can anyone tell me what it would be like to live in Chatuchak area? It seems to look good. Theres a huge park, the market itself, seems like there are malls around there and the price for rentals seems quite low compared to if you were closer to Sukhumvit? BTS access seems fine too depending on where you find a rental. Its also close to Don Muang airport, which would make for less travel time.

Does anyone have experience living there and could you tell me if theres enough amenities like decent cafes and restaurants in the area?

How about travel time to downtown via MRT/BTS? How long does that take? Thanks

Thanks

Chatuchak and the district just south Lad Phrao are very fine areas to live in. I travel up Lad Phrao and Vibihavadi Rangsit Road almost every day and there are plenty of cafes, restaurants markets, malls, etc etc. Much better than living in the Sukhumwit farang ghetto.

Hi, I have lived at Lumpini Place in Ratchoythin which is near Chatuchak, good location with a Major Shopping mall and many good places to eat on the streets and Major has a movie theatre. it is close to the airport, close to Central World Ladphro, easy to get to BTS Mo Chit and the market. and not many western people around but that is changing now. The only downside at this point is the new BTS line is being built so lots of traffic jams. I think around this part of town there are many good areas to live and many condos to choose from. The other good point is from BTS Mo Chit it connects with the MRT underground from which you can get to the main BKK train station Hua Lampong. Also you can get to Bang Sue station where you can connect to trains in going south to Malaysia.

As said Central Plaza Lat Phao was the first shopping mall in Thailand and has been upgraded several times over the years and is still one of the most popular. BTS ends at the old Morchit Bus terminal and connects to MRT there so excellent transportation available - new Morchit for North bus service is also close. Latpaho Road has a great many new apartment units at reasonable rent - Latphao Road itself is very busy during rush hours (and most of day) but it normally moves.

The area is fine. A bit further down towards lower Lad Proa is ok too. As for the market.....lol.....it's only fun once or twice. If you live in close proximity, you will in no way find the market to be a benefit, but rather a continuing weekend nightmare due to the traffic.

Mo Chit BTS to downtown (Chit Lom, Ploen Chit, Nana, Asoke) takes about 30 min.

Going back about 2 or 3 kms in the direction of the city down Phaholyothin Road, the Soi Ari area is nice. Sort of eclectic with loads of great restaurants and probably more acceptable accommodation available. You would also have BTS and the La Villa shopping centre nearby.

It's terrible. The only place suitable for farangs in BKK is Sukhumvit around soi 4 area. Everything you'll ever need is right there.

With occasional guided trips to the Terminal 21 Food court ?

Terminal 21 is terrible. The cheesiest, most overpriced shopping mall ever.