Supreme Court adjourns fake Chinese rice deal trial to June 15

webfact

Supreme Court adjourns fake Chinese rice deal trial to June 15

13073000_10154153903928637_1542672191_o-

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders today adjourned the hearing of the first trial of 28 former state officials and individuals who included former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom accused in the controversial G-2-G rice deals to June 15.

Reason attributed for the adjournment was to allow more time for the accused to submit their written testimonies to the court before the trial opens.

The court allowed 30 days for written testimonies to be submitted by the defenders led by Mr Boonsong.

Five state agencies jointly filed charges against Boonsong and 27 others demanding competition of 26 billion baht for the damages caused by the fake rice deals with China.

The hearing today was made available for state witnesses from six state agencies to testify against the 28 accused.

Boonsong and state officials were accused by the Office of the Attorney General of corruption and malfeasance over the sale of rice on a G-2-G basis to China.

The court sets June 28 as the final hearing of state testimonies.

During the first hearing which was later adjourned, the court also warned state witnesses and defence witnesses not to give press interviews that could affect the justice system.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161240

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-27

Unfortunately criminals worldwide find ways to hide their activities and no better way is/was to align themselves to the political party that is/was in power. These people are pure criminals and should be jailed for their crimes. To make a political show of it is to dilute the crime. Just jail the bastards, end of story !

I will say it again regarding all of these criminal cases tried at the Supreme Court level: these criminal cases should be tried in a lower court. The Supreme court should not be used as a trial court, because that eliminates an avenue for proper appeal of a verdict. As it is now, the judicial system in Thailand is defective; and this mechanism for trials at the Supreme Court level raises the likelihood of abuse of power (by any faction in power).

I still don't understand this. Was rice stolen and sold from the stockpiles ? Or is the charge

because there was miss information, ie. we sold xxx tons to China but in reality nothing

was sold and moved. I understand the rice was not sold to a foreign government but

was rice stolen and sold to anyone ? Or was rice stolen and sold but no money paid to

government accounts. I really don't understand what fake G to G rice deals mean. sad.png

I still don't understand this. Was rice stolen and sold from the stockpiles ? Or is the charge

because there was miss information, ie. we sold xxx tons to China but in reality nothing

was sold and moved. I understand the rice was not sold to a foreign government but

was rice stolen and sold to anyone ? Or was rice stolen and sold but no money paid to

government accounts. I really don't understand what fake G to G rice deals mean. sad.png

It's a good question, and i don't know the answer but I suspect that this caused big problems because they told lies about the forthcoming sales of the stockpiled rice. Perhaps the covenants around the loans had already been breached and this was a fraudulent statement to avoid problems.

As I said, good question.