Cleaning Jewelry

marksk

Use gin. It's what the British royal family uses, and they've got a lot of jewellery to keep sparking.

Not Bombay Blue Sapphire though, that would be a shocking waste! ohmy.png

Indeed. They did try using it once, but the Queen Mother finished the bottles before they could be used for the jewellery.

Be careful with Potassium cyanide, it's quite toxic, a lethal dose in humans being about 250mg, roughly a quarter of a tsp.

And death is prolonged and agonizing.

My Father witnessed one of his chemistry students commit suicide in front of the class by downing some potassium cyanide. Unlike the movies where the victims of cyanide poisoning slip quietly into a deep sleep, this student thrashed violently for ages before it finally took effect.

Be careful with Potassium cyanide, it's quite toxic, a lethal dose in humans being about 250mg, roughly a quarter of a tsp.

A chemistry professor and Manchester University many years ago told an anecdote about a time he was a young researcher in a lab where there was an accident with a cyanide reaction. Of the three people in the lab, one died, one went mad, and the third became Professor of Chemistry at Manchester University.

A chemistry professor and Manchester University many years ago told an anecdote about a time he was a young researcher in a lab where there was an accident with a cyanide reaction. Of the three people in the lab, one died, one went mad, and the third became Professor of Chemistry at Manchester University.

Or the same person eventually did all three.

i spent years mining placer gold and having it made into jewelry before selling it.

i found that soaking the gold in a spray cleaner like fantastic or 409 for 24 hours removed all of the dirt and tarnish from it and made it beautiful.

Ah, why not use toothpaste and brush? Or, toothpaste and baking soda? I have always found they work nearly as well.

Use toothpaste and brush, better still, use sand paper and a wire brush. You dont want shiny jewelry, it makes it easier for the thieves to see.

P.S. I know an idiot that used toothpaste and brush, hes know as Sandgroper2

Edited by sandgroper2

Isn't potassium cyanide used in gold mining to dissolve gold from rocks? Can someone explain, please, why one would want to clean your gold jewellery with something that's going to dissolve it away and, presumably, make shiny gold matte?

Ultrasonic cleaners are dirt cheap and work ok. I would be avoiding chemicals at all cost.

OP, why don't you trust the stores to do it for you? They have been successfully cleaning jewelry for millennium.