How to smoke bacon?

Kenny202

I use salt if you, here 'glua met' (coarse salt) does the job.

Need a little bit of saltpetre if you don't want the meat to go brown.

I mix this up and pump the pork and leave for, say, 5 days in the fridge, immersed in the solution.

I add a few more herbs immediately after pumping. The needle of the suringe may get blocked if the herbs are in the mixture first.

Send a private one to me if you want my full recipe.

Does anyone know where to buy the curing salt in Pattaya?

In Soi Khao Noi at Royal Group!!!

http://www.royalgroupthailand.com/find-us.html

Wood chips you can buy also in HomePro, HomeWorks in the near of the BBQs.

Many thanks smile.png

Welcome!!! :-)

But I not use it anymore. My favour is now sea salt!!! I bought a 5kg bag at Makro for 70-80 THB!!! Work almost the same.

So or so you must keep the meat in the fridge. So it's no problem.

For a smoker you can look in the street where they build this one fot Thai kitchen:

post-70931-0-19728100-1443371852_thumb.j
post-70931-0-76517700-1443371808_thumb.j

I paid 3.500 THB for this big one. For me it is to big but some friends come smoke their meat too. So it's ok!!!

Edited by snowgard

Put the charcoal brickets in your kettle as usual. Soak Hickory or Mesquite wood chips in water for at least 1 hour and put on top of charcoal. Fill a small metal bowl with apple juice and place on shelf above the wood and coals or, if you do not have a second shelf, put on a small grate on top of the wood.. Use pork belly and put on highest level of kettle. Cold smoke for a least 1 hour and you will have some very delicious apple smoked hickory bacon. If you like sweeter bacon you can rub a small amount of brown sugar or honey on the pork belly prior to smoking.

Wet wood chips do not burn. They smoke. If you can find apple wood, all the better. I smoke my chickens, bacon, sausages, steaks, and pork ribs the same way using different wood for the varying tastes. I finish my steaks and pork ribs on a hot grill after smoking.

Edited by Guy360

Thanks for that. No I'm Aussie so sweet bacon or bacon served with pancakes syrup etc not my thing. It's curing really nice though and firming up. I like the sound of Tamarind wood for smoking. It's a fruit tree so should be suitable. Might use sawdust on a metal tray over the coals smolder away slowly. Thanks all for Ur help

I use Mango wood in Chiang Mai and everyone ( Thai and Falang ) want me to start business selling bacon and jerky-- not going to happen...

Thai's LOVE jerky I have seen a Thai woman ( relative ) eat a 4 pound bag in one sitting

I know the Pattaya BBQ Place sold Hickory Chips for Smoking on BBQ's. Also a Smoker Box which is where you put them in on low heat and soon they smoke up. But depending on the size of your BBQ you might need a couple of those. To keep them smoking for 4 hours, you will also have to replace them a few times. You might want to try that to see how the goes for you first..

I mix this up and pump the pork and leave for, say, 5 days in the fridge, immersed in the solution.

I add a few more herbs immediately after pumping. The needle of the suringe may get blocked if the herbs are in the mixture first.

I'm interested too.

So why not just post your recipe here?

You do not need Saltpetre for general cold cure bacon. Saltpetre should only be used for meat like salami etc. that is slow cured. I.e. more than about a week.

Prague powder No. 1 is safer for straight bacon. Look up Nitrates and Nitrites, after reading some of the worries about cancer, it might be better to just use salt.

You do not need Saltpetre for general cold cure bacon. Saltpetre should only be used for meat like salami etc. that is slow cured. I.e. more than about a week.

Prague powder No. 1 is safer for straight bacon. Look up Nitrates and Nitrites, after reading some of the worries about cancer, it might be better to just use salt.

See the dry cure recipe that I posted above. It uses only salt, sugar and flavourings and makes very good bacon.

What about using a few of those black charcoal peices they use here? It's hardwood and smokes up

That should stink it up good.

Try some water soaked tamarind wood chips. Or you can spend a fortune at HomePro for mesquite or hickory chips.

How much are the wood chips at Home pro? Do they have sawdust?

But what do you do and how do you light them? Just make a little fire and wait for it to die down before putting meat in?

How would I burn water soaked wood? Clearly I don't have a clue

You can do a small amount simply using some wood chips in a wok or large pan on the stovetop - Put the wood on the bottom of the pan, place the meat on a rack above the wood and increase the heat until the wood smokes. Cover with a tight fitting lid for about 30-40 minutes. (If you use this method you can try different woods in the small batches until you find one that works for you)

That actually sounds like a great idea! I wonder if the missus would mind me smoking up the kitchen like that :-(

Well I just finished a 7 day cure on my first bacon. Basically used a rub cure of

1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup of salt and 2 tsp Prague #1. Rubbed all over and left in the fridge in a zip bag for 7 days turning every night. I didn't really select a great cut in hindsight. Was hacked to death with an axe like most meat here. Im going to smoke it today but I cut a few slices off this morning and grilled. Was nice, didn't firm up as much as I expected. Maybe that will happen after I smoke it.

I think if I do again I will up the salt and forget the honey, I think brown sugar has more flavour and with the honey too sweet. I didn't use any spices or garlic etc. Im Aussie so I prefer a nice salty pork / ham type flavour. I am remembering why I didn't eat much bacon in Australia though. Feeling a bit heavy and I think my heart is stopping regularly :-( Id post some images but cant seem to work it out?

Do I need to add the pics to say photo bucket then copy the link or can you paste photos into the reply?

Edit: Worked it out. You have to post the reply, then edit to add the files?

post-225098-0-34987700-1462337538_thumb.

post-225098-0-05244800-1462337539_thumb.

post-225098-0-82467400-1462337539_thumb.

Edited by Kenny202

This is the bacon after smoking. Very happy with result. Put a couple of charcoals one side of my kettle bbq and put some semi green tamarind wood on it. Put the slab on the other side about 4 hours. Really nice

post-225098-0-03950000-1462453551_thumb.

post-225098-0-05643200-1462453552_thumb.

post-225098-0-17826000-1462453553_thumb.

Edited by Kenny202

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/29/2016 at 10:28 AM, Kenny202 said:

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

Mustard

2 tsp prague powder

Rub all over pork and in zip lock bag. Turn daily for 7 days

Please don't tell me I'm going to kill myself :-(

This appears to be an excessive amount of Prague Powder.  1/2 tsp. would seem about right.

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy i found this thread,we are just experimenting with smoking bacon.

I built a smoker from things we had laying around and after a few changes we came up with

something that makes smoke for about 8hours.

We have used it now a few times and it seems to work well.

The bacon tastes very nice.

The concept is cold smoke and the pork we did today was in there for around 6 hours.

The bacon was cured for only one day because the first time it was too salty for our taste.

We fry it before we eat it so it is cooked well.

Are there any changes we should make?

20161215_145953.jpg

20161217_165532.jpg