Birthday Bags Left in Singapore, Says Celeb Accused of Tax Evasion

webfact

Pictures in front of orphans. How low can you really get? bah.gif

Not much I would presume. Staying in the public eye is all about acting. She is a young good looking actress and must make hay while the sun shines. Edited by elgordo38

At the risk of insulting bimbos, could she not make their ideal poster girl?

What a shameless display. Will people really believes it says anything good about this person?

Of course they will believe her.... She's rich so she can afford to leave hundreds of thousands of baht worth of bags on the floor at the airport.... Right? Jeez, I'm not rich and I throw money away daily while I am here...

Hahaha, your comment reminded me of this:

expat-in-thailand-c83a456b02fa61637c95ef

On another note, it would be interesting to know if she actually even bought the bags in the first place, and just wasn't showing off with someone else's empty shopping bags...

Is customs duty payable on luxury goods for personal use? I wasn't aware, perhaps neither was she.

Anyway, on the scale of things, hardly worth all the outrage.

Good question....actually many people are confuse whether or not personal use item are taxable when brining into the country. Please refer to the following info copied from Custom Department website. Also, every country have different threshold. Cheers

Duty Payment

If you are bringing in with you the items with total combined value more than 10,000 baht, these items are subject to import taxes and duties. A flat rate of duty will be applied on the dutiable items provided that:

The dutiable items are intended for personal use;

They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes;

The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; and

Passengers are able to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

The dutiable items of which the quantity exceeds those allowed for personal use and/or the total value exceeds 10,000 baht or intended for commercial use (including those of which value is less than 80,000 baht) are subject to applicable taxes and duties. Please contact the Passenger Inspection Sub-Division for the payment of taxes and duties. In case where the value of the dutiable items exceeds 80,000 baht, such items will be sent to a warehouse for formal import Customs procedures. The goods are held under Customs control until a formal import Customs procedures processed at the Customs Formalities Subdivision has been completed.

Based on the above ... Although she claims it was her birthday gift, however the 7 Hermes bag definitely cost more than 80k baht.. Therefore she is subject to pay duty for all the items (not exempted from duty) she purchase in oversea are subject to custom duty upon arrival .. Now the question is whether or not did she really left all the Hermes in SG as she claims? Hehe.... :P

So anyone living in Thailand who buys, say, a watch in Singapore that cost over 10,000 baht is expected to declare it at customs and pay tax?

And does anybody actually do this rather than just put it on their wrist and walk through?

Haha..I will usually wear the new items that I bought and keep the old ones in my luggage when i returned from oversea. For any new shirts and pants, I will throw away the receipts , the price tag and etc... For gadgets, I will throw away the box and only keep the receipts for warranty purpose... Ops... I am a cheapo... :P

So anyone living in Thailand who buys, say, a watch in Singapore that cost over 10,000 baht is expected to declare it at customs and pay tax?

And does anybody actually do this rather than just put it on their wrist and walk through?

Haha..I will usually wear the new items that I bought and keep the old ones in my luggage when i returned from oversea. For any new shirts and pants, I will throw away the receipts , the price tag and etc... For gadgets, I will throw away the box and only keep the receipts for warranty purpose... Ops... I am a cheapo... tongue.png

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone does. Including all the hypocrites attacking this girl in this thread.

I'm a celeb, well I think I am, so i can say anything and it will be accepted.

Forget the posing with orphans shouldn't she become a Buddhist nun ?

Then quit before her head is shaved.

Well she is all dressed in white to show how pious she is.

It didn't take them long to come up with this story and then arrange a suitable event for the press conference.

She could always do "a Chalerm" - pretend some Singaporean rich business woman friend really owns them and she's just bringing them back to Thailand to look after them for her and is allowed to use them. Worked out o k for him and he's not even a soap star.

Haha..I will usually wear the new items that I bought and keep the old ones in my luggage when i returned from oversea. For any new shirts and pants, I will throw away the receipts , the price tag and etc... For gadgets, I will throw away the box and only keep the receipts for warranty purpose... Ops... I am a cheapo... tongue.png

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone does. Including all the hypocrites attacking this girl in this thread.

Judging everyone by your own standards?

Maybe she should ask the customs to confirm if Ms Yingluck paid customs duties on all those pearl necklaces (I think it was 20 new sets) she was photoed buying in China when went to see big brother?

Or if they will accept they bags are owned by a friend and she's just going to look after them and use them while she does, like Chalerm and his Rollers and Bentley?

Seems she's not as high up the greasy pole as she thought.

The customs inspection at Swamp is very lax. I think there are a few reasons for this. First is that a decent customs inspection would create terrific lines and delay. The second is that the rule makers and hiso Thais roll an ungodly amount of goods through Swampy without paying the tax.

I am of the opinion that she never bought all that stuff at all.

Judging everyone by your own standards?

No, judging by human nature.

So you would definitely declare a 10,000 baht watch and pay the tax? Or would you rather just lie to us?

Hm.. First of all I did admit that I am a cheapo.. But if the immigration officer wants to tax me on the things that I purchased in oversea, I will pay the duty ..and I believe most people would do the same by paying the duty.. At least we will not post the photos of the luxury item and later claiming that we had never brought the item back so we should not be tax .. And we also never use the orphanage to gain sympathy .. And this is the reason of the discussion here ...

Hope you can differentiate the difference now...

Hm.. First of all I did admit that I am a cheapo.. But if the immigration officer wants to tax me on the things that I purchased in oversea, I will pay the duty ..and I believe most people would do the same by paying the duty.. At least we will not post the photos of the luxury item and later claiming that we had never brought the item back so we should not be tax .. And we also never use the orphanage to gain sympathy .. And this is the reason of the discussion here ...

Hope you can differentiate the difference now...

The orphanage thing doesn't bother me at all. That's just PR, which is always manipulative. At least she shows contrition. And the kids probably had a good day.

The tax issue is more interesting, and probably even less immoral. Shopping is the reason many people go abroad isn't it? - to buy luxury goods that are cheaper than in Thailand? I really doubt they are expecting to pay tax on all their purchases back at the airport, thereby rendering them the same price as everywhere else.

No doubt a lot of people (including me) don't know the rules in detail, and given that the rules are quite arbitrary and cumbersome (such as "items [over 80,000 baht] will be sent to a warehouse for formal import Customs procedures"), even the most upright people will not voluntarily declare things that by no means can be proven to be freshly purchased.

Edited by ddavidovsky

Pictures in front of orphans. How low can you really get? bah.gif

Not much I would presume. Staying in the public eye is all about acting. She is a young good looking actress and must make hay while the sun shines.

"........... good looking actress and must make hay while the sun shines."

That's right and when the sun goes down she rolls in it.wink.png