Free sim card at the airport

millmann

I have not seen any free SIMs at the jetbridge or at the Immigration desks for a while.

I think it may be a bit random, depending on which carrier is doing a promotion.

You might check at the various phone carriers counters after exiting baggage claim/Customs. They might be doing something low-cost or free.

Edited by mgjackson69

Neither have I seen such lately. I suspect that the fact that you need to have your passport registered to your SIM card before it even activates now makes this kind of freebie offer not practical.

Naked SIMs are just 50B in any 7/11. Almost nothing.

People at operators booths in the airport will push you towards the special "tourist SIM" bundles they offer for a few hundred bahts that include talk time and internet data. Whether these are good for you or not is your choice.

Edited by Lannig

A word of caution : if you get a free SIM, do keep the package with the bar code.

Recently I have been unable to register my passport and therefore activate a new SIM because I hadn't kept it For a new SIM that has never been used, they do need the barcode on the package to process the registration. They can't get the information from the SIM itself, apparently.

The SIM I had was bundled with a smartphone, with very limited packaging and just glued to the phone's box. I had carelessly destroyed the shrink wrap plastic with the barcode sticker...

I eventually had to buy another SIM. Not a big deal (50B), just a bit of frustration.

When you buy a new SIM (as opposed to getting it for free or having it come bundled to a phone) the registration is done at sale time.

In September 2014 were still free sim cards at the airport. But since happened this law with the registration of the passport or ID, reason why I asked this. I had a sim card but I haven't charged it for a while, so they cancelled the number and gave it to someone else

Edited by millmann

The free DTAC SIM's were a little odd regarding the registration....very odd actually. I decided to use one of the free ones I picked-up and put it in an old, spare phone. There were activation instructions with the packaging that were simple and involved a call to an operator; That done, I was in business, no passport number asked for, no nothing. (This was almost a year since the passport requirement had been enacted. I was puzzled but..OK.

When I tried to top the SIM up via an ATM;.. no go. Transaction wouldn't go through. Later I stopped by a DTAC office. The clerk looked my number up, clicked the keyboard a few times, credited the 100 baht to the number and handed the phone back to me. "Don't I need to register this?" I asked as I tried to hand her my passport. "No need" she said, "Already register" and there she showed me on the computer screen some Thai name I had never seen before registered to my SIM.

Go figure.

Weird indeed! can you use it now? and can you refill it?

No, I let it lapse. I already have a 2nd SIM in my daily driver that I rarely use. I needed a 3rd SIM like I needed a 3rd foot.

It was just curiosity really.

When someone is handing out free SIMs on arrival, once in a while I will take one, to help the young lady meet her "quota" so to speak.

I have one SIM that I use here, the same one (ok, the same number, I think I am on the third physical SIM) since 2004.

Sometimes I will use the freebies, or give them to one of the nieces/nephews to use.

Freely available at Chiang Mai Airport as you leave the baggage hall.

I take one every trip and bin it when I leave, (last one 2 weeks ago) 30 secs registration, all they do is take a photo of your Passport and the sim card together. No forms, no questions, no immigration etc and no problems topping up at 7/11.

Neither have I seen such lately. I suspect that the fact that you need to have your passport registered to your SIM card before it even activates now makes this kind of freebie offer not practical.

What makes it not practical, when everyone - EVERYONE - needs to have their passport (or ID card for locals) at the airport and it can be used there and then for activation. i can't think of anywhere more practical.

What makes it not practical, when everyone - EVERYONE - needs to have their passport (or ID card for locals) at the airport and it can be used there and then for activation. i can't think of anywhere more practical.

It would still need someone actually entering that information, as opposed to just giving you a SIM and a smile.

Dtac SIM cards do not need to be registered when purchased at the airport. I tired to hand the lady my passport and she only goes "no need". It's month 3 now and it my card is still working.

And yes, technically the cards are "free". Normally a SIM card is 50 Baht but at the airport you just buy a package (data or normal topup) and that's all you pay, no charge for the card.