Security with Thai Internet banking

robsamui

Hoping for some advice by people who know more about things than I do!

I paid for an item with my BKK Bank debit card a few days ago. It was the only transaction I used the card for on that day, and it showed up on my online transactions. But the (Thai) company say they didn't get it.

I contacted BKK Bank head office in Bangkok, and to 'confirm my account' they wanted me to give them my debit card number in full and also my ATM PIN number!

I was alarmed and asked the girl if the line was encrypted. She had no idea what I was talking about. I asked her what security was in place - her answer? " Don't worry, you do not have to speak it over the phone, but tap out the numbers on your keypad".

Am I alarmed over nothing? Over-reacting?

Or is it as I imagine - a very worrying situation?

Edited by robsamui

Not uncommon for a bank or credit card company to ask for your card number when you call their help line for assistance....and also not uncommon to enter your PIN number via the phone keypad. This confirms you are the owner of the card. Normally, you are just listening to/following a voice interactive system, but as some point if you press a selection to talk to a live person you will be talking to a rep.

When using Bangkok Bank phone banking for example and say you want to change a limit on your debit card, like purchase and/or cash withdrawal limit, you would need to enter your card number and PIN.

Now, if someone "calls you" saying they are a bank rep then, no, don't give them that info.

Edited by Pib

Not uncommon for a bank or credit card company to ask for your card number when you call their help line for assistance....and also not uncommon to enter your PIN number via the phone keypad. This confirms you are the owner of the card. Normally, you are just listening to/following a voice interactive system, but as some point if you press a selection to talk to a live person you will be talking to a rep.

When using Bangkok Bank phone banking for example and say you want to change a limit on your debit card, like purchase and/or cash withdrawal limit, you would need to enter your card number and PIN.

Now, if someone "calls you" saying they are a bank rep then, no, don't give them that info.

Or if you are asked over email.... for PW or Pin... do not give it out ...

BKK bank send out messages about that a few times a year...wink.png

I contacted BKK Bank head office in Bangkok,
I was alarmed and asked the girl if the line was encrypted.

Are you writing about a phone call or what?

I would also be quite confused if you asked me this question facepalm.gif

In the end the answer is no.

Legalized or Illegal/criminal "wire" tapping is always possible.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Also not uncommon when you get a new credit/debit card that in order to activate it you call a certain number that came with the card where you enter your card number, the security code, and then select/change your PIN. All done by pressing those little buttons on the phone....all done over the phone lines. Can phone lines/calls be tapped? Sure they can, but the chances must be extremely low otherwise banks/card companies would have stopped using phones for any sensitive banking long ago.