Marriage Affidavit Translation

Karlo

A word of advice for anyone needing translations for an affidavit to marry a Thai. We made the mistake of getting our affidavit translated at my wife's university where she works as they provide commercial translation services which are in fact more costly than those provided at the Thai Consul in Bangkok. We decided on using her university translation service on the basis it would save us time and hassle at the Thai consul as we wanted to go through the fast track process and get it all completed in under 5 hrs. It was a big mistake as when we submitted our paperwork with translations at the consul there were a number of errors, some which were the structure of the sentence. To be honest I think mostly the errors were a ploy to get us to use the local translation service in the consul building. So my advice is get any translations carried out at the first floor of the consular building at only approximately 400 thb per page. As they know what's exactly required and will ensure you get approval. But having said that we when we got the translation completeted and passed at the consul and then went to the amphur to get married. The official at the amphur pointed out that the translated affidavit had the wrong year, but luckily she amended the date and everything went smoothly.

Any of the translation shops around the embassy are accepted readily by the MFA, if they offer to get it stamped and posted to you then they are professionals that use the MFA on a daily basis and their documents are accepted probably without much checking even.

The people that are having problems seem to be the people who want to spend hours at tha MFA and present their documents in person. It would not be surprising if the MFA officers were a bit like immigration and try to be as awkward as possible when face to face with a farang.

HL

If you think that is a link to the "Thai Consul in Bangkok" you are very sadly mistaken.

For you information any translation I want done it is done by a certified translator (which I doubt the one you used was) and then sent to the MFA (NOT ""Thai Consul in Bangkok") for certification. I have never had a problem.

I suggest next time you want something translated you use a certified translator there are many to be found in Bangkok.

• 1 month later...

Any of the translation shops around the embassy are accepted readily by the MFA, if they offer to get it stamped and posted to you then they are professionals that use the MFA on a daily basis and their documents are accepted probably without much checking even.

The people that are having problems seem to be the people who want to spend hours at tha MFA and present their documents in person. It would not be surprising if the MFA officers were a bit like immigration and try to be as awkward as possible when face to face with a farang.

HL

I keep reading about using the translation shops to handle the MFA stamp as well. Is that 100% legit? Has anyone used any of those services they'd recommend by name?

HL

I keep reading about using the translation shops to handle the MFA stamp as well. Is that 100% legit? Has anyone used any of those services they'd recommend by name?

The translation shops don't do the stamp themselves....lol....they send their representative to the MFA with a handful of translations and get them officially stamped and then post them to your home address.

HL

HL

The translation shops don't do the stamp themselves....lol....they send their representative to the MFA with a handful of translations and get them officially stamped and then post them to your home address.

HL

Cool thanks. I wasn't thinking they did forged stamps or anything, but I wasn't sure if the person in the affidavit is required to be at the consular office in person or not.

I got the translation company to do the MFA process. I didn't want to get married instantly, and preferred to let the translation company take the stress.

I used Express Translations in Mahatun Plaza, just a few steps from BTS Ploen Chit and close to the British Embassy. They are good and reliable.

http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6&id_lang=1

I got the translation company to do the MFA process. I didn't want to get married instantly, and preferred to let the translation company take the stress.

I used Express Translations in Mahatun Plaza, just a few steps from BTS Ploen Chit and close to the British Embassy. They are good and reliable.

http://www.expresstranslationservice.com/cms.php?id_cms=6&id_lang=1

That's the shop I ended up using as well and I'm waiting to receive the documents in the post.

If you think that is a link to the "Thai Consul in Bangkok" you are very sadly mistaken.

For you information any translation I want done it is done by a certified translator (which I doubt the one you used was) and then sent to the MFA (NOT ""Thai Consul in Bangkok") for certification. I have never had a problem.

I suggest next time you want something translated you use a certified translator there are many to be found in Bangkok.

It's the Department of Consular Affairs, why be so pedantic?

• 1 year later...

Archived