Re-entry Permit - Photo Needed

mamastar

I know re-entry has been covered in a previous thread somewhere, but wanted to add my experience. Having looked at the AOT website, saw a photo shop listed. Tried to call both immigration at the airport and AOT, but was unable to confirm.

Having arrived pretty early just in case, asked at an AOT information desk, and was told I could get a photo taken once I checked in. Just before check-in, asked at yet another AOT information desk, and was told that nowhere in the departure section would I be able to get a photo taken. I was handed a map, and told to take a taxi to a local market in hopes of finding a photo shop. Having checked online and asked at the AOT desk, and confirming that I WOULD be able to get my photo taken, and at 8pm discovering that I would NOT be able to, I was rather irate and unhappy at the possibility of either losing my non-immigrant visa, or missing my flight as a result of this.

Badgering the AOT desk repeatedly, and complaining that this was their responsibility for giving me the wrong information, the lady at the AOT desk finally and rather unhappily took me all the way through the airport and to arrivals, where I managed to get my photo taken. Another gent also managed to come along without even having to ask AOT to do this for them (he just turned up and said he'd forgotten his photo), and was rather puzzled, until I chatted with him and discovered that he was flying first class.

Unsure if it was in revenge for making her do this, but was made to wait half an hour at immigration for my re-entry permit. Managed to make my flight with not too much time to spare.

To give AOT credit, the lady was very kind to do this, and I was able to catch my flight AND keep my non-immigrant visa. They should install a photo machine at departures as well, and this would be avoided.

So, basically what I would like to say is, you need to take the photo with you, as you can't get it at the airport. (Unless like I did, you badger them enough. But waaay too much hassle, and took ages.)

BTW - immigration section is right before you show your passports, after you walk in and show your receipt for airport tax.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding - Immigration office is where you get the re-entry permit in the new airport?

Yes - there's an immigration office at the airport. However, unlike at Don Muang (seemingly, as never flown out of there) it's past the gate, where you show your ticket and receipt of airport tax.