British grandad locked up in Thailand claims he was beaten, robbed and sexually abused in jail

webfact

Something not right here...

Three people not wearing helmets on the other bike with no lights on are involved in an accident with this single bloke, and he is the one facing charges?

Either the frenchies are being extremely litigious or this bloke isn't telling us something. The charges against him, though in Thai, should have been available to him. A translation could have easily been done.

Also nothing to stop him from pressing charges against the french if he is so in the right.

Not saying this guy didn't have a bad experience in jail, but something smells fishy about the story.

I agree that there are some key facts missing here. Based on my interactions with Thai officials, I'm inclined to believe he's being set up. I've even been extorted and threatened by teachers and school admin here, though, so I might be too inclined to think the worst of all Thai officials.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Frenchman involved in the crash returned to Thailand" and said that she had died of her injuries. So it seems that she died outside of Thailand. What proof do they have of this, and why are the RTP involved in a death, if there ever was one, overseas.

....manslaughter.....???

...wow.....apply 'the law' to a perverse degree .....to foreigners only.....and then everything is 'okay'.....

...in some psycho peoples minds.....

....anybody else got charged with manslaughter over the 'Songkran Slaughter'......???

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates.. What bother me so about this is that this guy is probably in jail just because he is a foreigner. I have read so many instances where death has occurred due to negligent driving yet, the Thai never seems to go to prison for it. A good example is this recent case where the guy drove 200 kph and crashed into the back of a car killing to students. I don't see him even looking at a charge for their deaths, only his bad driving. Pathetic to see double standards across the board with foreigners and Thai.

Kill 9 people in a mini van and your family is (connected) no worries, you don't even have to do your community service.

Run over a cop in your Ferrari and drag him down the road killing him and go on holiday's too Singapore.

Smash your merc into the back of 2 students car incinerating them pay your way out just fines for bad driving.

Why has his lawyer not put these precedents forward to secure freedom for this bloke?

Now if your a flang and you don't have video evidence proving innocence's and sometimes even if you do, you will need a lot of cash just to stay out of the monkey house... Welcome to the land of scams...

Insurance, have or no have, there's the difference.

There's no way to get an insurance for a motorbike in Thailand. You simply can't get it. On the issue of bail, only first class insurance for cars and also with the bail bond inclusion clearly stated in the insurance papers, you have insurance bail bond possibility. This is a good reminder of people driving cars to check their first class insurance if bail bond is included. But it's invalid if you are caught being drunk, in fact the whole insurance is.

Am I right in saying that the prisoners have to do there own cooking, maybe he was robed for his food

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Prisoners do not cook their own food, every jail has a kitchen, and nobody would steal cooked prison food. Jails have shops inside where an inmate is able to buy snacks, toiletries etc, the money is taken out of their account. There is money in jails but it is used for illegal activities such as buying drugs, gambling, etc. Prisoners caught with money get punished.

Therefore stealing is small time, sweets, milk, snacks etc but the majority of prisoners do not like prison theives and beat them up when they catch them.

If a foreigner behaves, follows the rules, he will be threated better than a Thai. Thai prisoners will only hit a foreigner if the foreigner chooses to be an outright ass*ole.

Money IS used in many Thai jails.

No, it is not. There would be no point.

All money, together with any other personal possessions, is taken from prisoners on their registration at the prison. It is held by the prison in an account in the prisoner's name to which additional money can be added by outsiders and any purchasing within the prison is debited from that prisoner's account. On release any funds in that account are returned to the prisoner down to the last baht.

There are no facilities at all in Thai jails that use cash.

You appear to know an awful lot about Thai jails hmmm laugh.png

I like this comment from him:

Driving at night, Dave said he collided with another bike, which didnt have its lights on, carrying three people who werent wearing helmets - a French man and woman and a local.

After being knocked unconscious, he was left with broken ribs and severe cuts and bruises. He said he nearly lost an eye in the incident and has been left suffering terrible memory loss.

But what the other do wrong him remember very good!!! lol

Also I am missing the part that the police informed the embassy about the accident wich they do all the time if a farang had a accident and stay in hospital.

And the police informed the embassy that they locked up a Brit!!!! The embassy look inside the case and help to find a lawyer ....???

Or do the british embassy nothing for help???

There was no report of Mr Black Belt being in that a accident...

Because he's freaking LYING!!!

I believe, he took off after the accident! As guilty people do..

My friend was hit by a car a few days ago, the police questioned witness, then they went to the hospital to question my friend...

So how in the hell does this guy cause that much damage and it was not reported?

He also said he turned himself in to the police..

Then has no concern, just relief when the police tell him there was no accident reported..

Apparently there was a report, they just didn't know his name, and was subsequently arrested..

"The Frenchman involved in the crash returned to Thailand" and said that she had died of her injuries. So it seems that she died outside of Thailand. What proof do they have of this, and why are the RTP involved in a death, if there ever was one, overseas.

Didn't you read the bail was set to 10 000THB and then later raised.

The police isn't issuing the amount of the bail bound, it's the court, read judge.

Am I right in saying that the prisoners have to do there own cooking, maybe he was robed for his food

Prisoners do not cook their own food, every jail has a kitchen, and nobody would steal cooked prison food. Jails have shops inside where an inmate is able to buy snacks, toiletries etc, the money is taken out of their account. There is money in jails but it is used for illegal activities such as buying drugs, gambling, etc. Prisoners caught with money get punished.

Therefore stealing is small time, sweets, milk, snacks etc but the majority of prisoners do not like prison theives and beat them up when they catch them.

If a foreigner behaves, follows the rules, he will be threated better than a Thai. Thai prisoners will only hit a foreigner if the foreigner chooses to be an outright ass*ole.

OK I don't doubt you, but I am sure I have seen in a documentary them cooking there own food maybe it was before, also I am sure I read in a book called "forgot you have a daughter" that she preferred prison in Thailand then the UK because she can cook her own food and felt like she had more freedom

Just thought if that was the case maybe it wasn't money he had stolen from him

This is not a poor defenceless granddad, he's a 7th dan karate expert. There's a hell of a lot more to this story and so many posters are so far off the truth it's funny reading your posts. I'm not going to give any further details, it's up to Dave if he wants anyone to post on his behalf. Some of you need to write crime stories & prison stories as you are great fiction writers.

Source please?

First, serves him right he should have been able to access 100,000 baht and got bail immediately, secondly I don't believe his story one bit he killed someone and is trying to blame them e.g no lights on a bike when they are hard wired to the ignition and they had no helmets, it doesn't mitigate his responsibility in their deaths if it's his riding at fault.

"Dave voluntarily went to a police station to tell officers he had been involved in the crash. He was told there was no record of the incident ...."

Does that mean: Whatever happens to you whatever is done to you in Thailand -

by all means avoid the police ?

Yes...in most cases the police are a self serving entity while the police can most definitely corrupt the truth and set things on a path going sideways and easily orchestrate your demise.

Just a reminder to all.

Cheers

"Dave voluntarily went to a police station to tell officers he had been involved in the crash. He was told there was no record of the incident ...."

Does that mean: Whatever happens to you whatever is done to you in Thailand -

by all means avoid the police ?

Yes...in most cases the police are a self serving entity while the police can most definitely corrupt the truth and set things on a path going sideways and easily orchestrate your demise.

Just a reminder to all.

Cheers

Even am looking and finding nothing about it ...

First, serves him right he should have been able to access 100,000 baht and got bail immediately, secondly I don't believe his story one bit he killed someone and is trying to blame them e.g no lights on a bike when they are hard wired to the ignition and they had no helmets, it doesn't mitigate his responsibility in their deaths if it's his riding at fault.

"e.g no lights on a bike when they are hard wired to the ignition "

Apparently, you've just arrived here. I cannot count how many times I see bikes with no working tail lights. Often, there are no working headlights either, though, sometimes, the drivers will get one of those flashlights that strap on the head. Often also, I see a bike with no tail light and the head light is so dim that you cannot see it except in your rear view mirror -- it doesn't even make a bright spot on the road. Then there's my favorite, the guy with no tail light and so much stuff in his front basket that the headlight is completely blocked and pointless. Seriously, have you spent a single day in Thailand?

Oh, and yes, not wearing helmets absolutely does mitigate his fault. There is a reason for helmet laws - helmets reduce the severity of injuries and the likelihood of death from an accident. A person of reasonable prudence would not go without a helmet. This is one of the very scenarios that we discussed in one of my law school classes when we covered the mitigation doctrines in torts.

My thoughts also, the picture is incomplete.

On the jail issue: I don't know if the rules are different elsewhere in Thailand but here in Chiang Mai, about seven years ago, a Brit we know was given 5 years in jail and he was housed strictly with foreigners and not with locals and all foreigners were treated similarly.

From what I have heard and been told foreigners are kept separate from the locals in jail. I have, thankfully, no personal experience so I cant speak authoritatively but that is my understanding. The BBC Panorama had a program on it a few years back and that was stated in that program as well

I do not believe 1 word of this.

I have been in a Thai prison, and i was treated with the greatest of respect.

Staff and prisoners went out of their way to help me.

He did wrong and is trying to disguise what he did with lies.

Be careful you don't get sued for libel for calling the man a liar In writing. You could end back in prison for not paying a judgment/lien after a civil action. Damaging a person's reputation on the Internet is pretty disgusting.

I believe the British granddad. After all, he is an old defenseless foreigner all by himself and Thai woman died.

As some of you have noted, when a Thai drives recklessly and kills innocent people, usually nothing of consequence happens but a foreigner

gets crucified every time.

Many of you laugh these events off believing it can't happen to you. You can stay here and wait your turn.

I am in this country not by choice. There is no doubt, level of violence and severe animosity towards foreigners has escalated dramatically over the years.

Even my wife said she is scared to go out.

We would feel safer and much more respected in another country as soon as my contract ends.

It wont happen to me....I dont ride motorbike or car.

Live under the radar

dont wear gold around

rent appartment

dont walk around tourist traps at 2am

dont confront Thais in angry or threatening manner

10+ years for me and still going strong.

Being on the opposite pole to your thinking, i spend a lot of my thinking how fortunate i am to live here.

best of luck for your next port of call, but unless its someplace not of this Earth, i fear you will soon find something to fear in the next utopia.

I have lived in El Salvador for 3 years and never heard of such barbaric events there nor did I feel unsafe walking around. Xenophobia

is non existent there. You will be safe hiding in your home until immigration comes banging on your door.

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates.. What bother me so about this is that this guy is probably in jail just because he is a foreigner. I have read so many instances where death has occurred due to negligent driving yet, the Thai never seems to go to prison for it. A good example is this recent case where the guy drove 200 kph and crashed into the back of a car killing to students. I don't see him even looking at a charge for their deaths, only his bad driving. Pathetic to see double standards across the board with foreigners and Thai.

Kill 9 people in a mini van and your family is (connected) no worries, you don't even have to do your community service.

Run over a cop in your Ferrari and drag him down the road killing him and go on holiday's too Singapore.

Smash your merc into the back of 2 students car incinerating them pay your way out just fines for bad driving.

Why has his lawyer not put these precedents forward to secure freedom for this bloke?

Now if your a flang and you don't have video evidence proving innocence's and sometimes even if you do, you will need a lot of cash just to stay out of the monkey house... Welcome to the land of scams...

There's no way to get an insurance for a motorbike in Thailand. You simply can't get it. On the issue of bail, only first class insurance for cars and also with the bail bond inclusion clearly stated in the insurance papers, you have insurance bail bond possibility. This is a good reminder of people driving cars to check their first class insurance if bail bond is included. But it's invalid if you are caught being drunk, in fact the whole insurance is.

Absolute and catagoric rubbish, i know of multiple farangs who have big bikes and are fully insured, key difference is these boys have bike licenses and have taken out appropriate insurance..do you really think they are going to drop Thb 400k + for the likes of a Ducati and not have insurance

Foreigners who live here should integrate more then they would know the way to avoid jail.

Complain about double standards. Do you speak fluent Thai? Do you know the way the system works? I do but to be fair, I've been here most my life.

Coming to live in a country, associating only with other foreigners, not giving a **** about learning the language etc and you deserve to be treated like 2nd class citizens as that is what you are.

In the land of smoke and mirrors nobody knows where the truth ends and the lies begin. Could be that the Brit is lying through his teeth or not. Could be that he simply didn't understand because of language problems (I know that one well) and ended up getting the wrong end of the stick (ouch!)

I'm afraid you are mistaken, as the following link from the insurance forum confirms, both government and private first comprehensive insurance is readily available:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824459-motorcycle-insurance/

I'm afraid you are mistaken, as the following link from the insurance forum confirms, both government and private first comprehensive insurance is readily available:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824459-motorcycle-insurance/

As always on TV big difference between "not being able to" and not wanting to pay...there are many who cant see the difference

Rubbish..... I have big bike insurance from Viriyah and it comes with all the bells and whistles

Oh come on...everyone knows this could not be true...this is Thailand...gentle people with big smiles...would not hurt a flea...much less an elderly farang...

My thoughts also, the picture is incomplete.

On the jail issue: I don't know if the rules are different elsewhere in Thailand but here in Chiang Mai, about seven years ago, a Brit we know was given 5 years in jail and he was housed strictly with foreigners and not with locals and all foreigners were treated similarly.

From what I have heard and been told foreigners are kept separate from the locals in jail. I have, thankfully, no personal experience so I cant speak authoritatively but that is my understanding. The BBC Panorama had a program on it a few years back and that was stated in that program as well

All Thai jails now put foreigners together with Thais. When only foreigners were together in one cell they had a bad habit of fighting with each other, so to stop that problem foreigners are in with the Thais these days. It also makes sure that all foreigners obey the cell rules, up and out at around 7.30 am, and absolute no talking, walking etc after 9 pm. Thai prisoners are made to encourage foreigners to obey the rules, so disobey a room leader and the offending foreigner will receive a beating from his fellow Thai cellmates.