Motorcycle Insurance.

Liquorice

Last year I purchased a new Honda Click 125cc.

As part of the deal they included 12 months comprehensive insurance.

Now 12 months old, I've just re-taxed and got the compulsory government Insurance.

Firstly just what exactly does the government insurance cover?

Secondly can anyone advise on comprehensive policies. Where, who, price.

The compulsory insurance is a very basic third party insurance. First class (comprehensive) cover varies from insurer to insurer. Some will cover theft. Some won't.

This might help:

• First class insurance: Also known as fully comprehensive insurance: covers the vehicle, the life of the driver and any costs associated with injury to driver or passengers. Also covers third party property damage and liability
  • Second class insurance: Also known as collision coverage, and will cover repairs to any vehicles involved in an accident
  • Third class insurance: Covers the life of the driver, costs of injury to the driver and passenger, and third party property damage and liability

Thai insurance companies have a no-claims bonus structure on certain policies that will provide significant discounts after a year with no claims on the insurance. Some companies even permit small claims to be made without voiding the no-claims bonus.

Note: It is very important to know and understand an insurance company's accident procedures, particularly those pertaining to the scene of the accident itself. Find these out when taking out the insurance.

I use AXA, but you might be best to try a broker. There is an insurer that advertises here on TF, AA insurance, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/ but they never replied to my emails when I tried them.

Edited by phetphet

Thanks for the reply phetphet.

As I understand it the basic government Insurance would cover the injuries or damage to the third party in the event the accident was my fault?

What concerns me more is being covered for injury to myself in the same circumstances, which I'm guessing would be covered by 1st Class Insurance.

Any idea of costs?

Thanks for the reply phetphet.

As I understand it the basic government Insurance would cover the injuries or damage to the third party in the event the accident was my fault?

What concerns me more is being covered for injury to myself in the same circumstances, which I'm guessing would be covered by 1st Class Insurance.

Any idea of costs?

I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think my 1st class insurance for a new PCX with AXA was around THB5,500.

Obviously this will vary from broker to broker or insurer to insurer. You might get a better idea of a good insurance company by asking in the Insurance forum.

• 5 weeks later...