W800 Special Edition

BSJ

Some TVF posters seem to be in the know about things 2 wheeled. Any whispers from the good folk at Kawasaki about bringing in some W800 Special Edition bikes???

post-63954-0-06205900-1462195887_thumb.j

It has been in a couple of Thai motorbike magazines, so there is still a small chance it might come.

I think Kawasaki Thailand sees the success of Triumph and Royal Enfield and now will want its part of the cake.

I saw two at the last Bangkok Motorcycle Show in the parking area at Central World - they seem to have the proper plates. Perhaps they are available as a special purchase?

But hasn't the new Bonneville overtaken the Kawasaki now - they were so similar before the Bonnie was improved?

Might be a nice bike but retro doesn't do it for me when it comes to bikes. They just look like old pieces of crap.

Retro cars is different though. Don't know why.

I have the same feeling - think it's because I'm old enough to have ridden the originals, and they were pretty bad. When I see a pair of chrome clocks it reminds of the days when I was never sure if the damn thing would keep running long enough to get me home..... in the miserable, cold rain.

Might be a nice bike but retro doesn't do it for me when it comes to bikes. They just look like old pieces of crap.

I have the same feeling - think it's because I'm old enough to have ridden the originals, and they were pretty bad. When I see a pair of chrome clocks it reminds of the days when I was never sure if the damn thing would keep running long enough to get me home..... in the miserable, cold rain.
So are you the same person now and you expect the same technology, right?

I quite like Retro styling. The CB1100 is the best looking new bike made IMO. Classic 70's style with modern components. Most of the newer style bikes remind me of a transformer toy in the looks department. Retro performance - no. Retro style - yes.

I like retro styling too but off course in a modern package underneath, disks brakes- FI and so on.

I am not alone, just look how many Bonneville's have been sold after they re-made it. They re-designed it this year with water cooling (for future emissions limits) and more cc.

It's just about personal taste. I agree that retro style brings back memories of leaky greasy bikes that were temperamental to start. I get that this not everyone's reaction. But I am sure many agree with me too.

It's just about personal taste. I agree that retro style brings back memories of leaky greasy bikes that were temperamental to start. I get that this not everyone's reaction. But I am sure many agree with me too.
I accept what you say as I was also around during the oil slick & Lucas days but on a similar vein remember how unreliable many Italian bikes were then. I've had both UK & Italian oldies and most of today's 'so called' classics are just styling exercises with modern, reliable & efficient components.

As I've never owned something from USA, these comments do not relate to them (new or old)

I wonder why?

Not all of us wants to ride 300km/h sports bikes!

If the prices is right, they could sell a lot of them, the SR400 is just too weak and too expensive.

Ditto!

I remember when I was riding a mates W650 around a sweeper doing 75mph and thought that's got to be as fast as anyone can go....a few years later on my Z1 I did the same at 90mph!

I know this as my wife was looking over my shoulder both times! I sure as hell wasn't taking my eyes off the road!

It's changed now. There is a small tree and a power pole where the oncoming traffic came around the sweeper. And the sweeper just went through the 'B' double 'B' trailer and left of the new road in a nice arc with a good camber.

post-63954-0-89352700-1462527274_thumb.j

Riding now......I don't care about speed or holding the local street racer title. I just want to ride and enjoy!

Edited by BSJ

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2009 ER650n with under 10k on the odo. It's a good bike, excellent value for money, I like it but I don't love it. Thinking of getting a Street Twin or W800 if it becomes available.

I just can't stand modern bikes with all that plastic and futuristic designs. I would make an exception for the MV F3 though....sex on wheels!

I have a 2009 ER650n with under 10k on the odo. It's a good bike, excellent value for money, I like it but I don't love it. Thinking of getting a Street Twin or W800 if it becomes available.

I just can't stand modern bikes with all that plastic and futuristic designs. I would make an exception for the MV F3 though....sex on wheels!

My son agrees with you on the MV Agusta F3....and he rides a Aprilia!

post-63954-0-43790200-1464440362_thumb.j