Getting The 5 Year Licence

thaigene2

Anyoen know (with any certainty) what happens if your one-year licence expired 2 or 3 years ago? Is there a limit on the period of expiration? Will they only give you a 1 year again - or worse make you take the test?

Today, I discovered my one year licence expired over one year ago ( I had thought it was good for three years). I'm told by my Thai family that I should bring my passport and another doctor's certificate to renew my licence. Unfortunately, the clock starts again and I can only expect another one year licence. However, next year upon expiration I can apply for a three year licence. They're not sure about test and feel it may be up to the local govt office. The only test I recall was for sight, color blindness and braking reaction time. This licence expiration is relatively new as they all have licences which never expire!

Anyoen know (with any certainty) what happens if your one-year licence expired 2 or 3 years ago? Is there a limit on the period of expiration? Will they only give you a 1 year again - or worse make you take the test?

With me, it was about five years expired, had to take the entire test, but was then issued with five year license.

Mike

It's a strange thing here but your first one year license MUST be expired before they will give you the five year license. I have no idea how long it can actually be expired. If you have a valid license from your home country I don't think you have to take the test other than the eye color chart. At least that was my experience.

Okay - so here's the report on what happened

Took half a day. My one-year Thai licence expired more than 3 years earlier. I had to do two colourblind tests, a reaction test with a 'gas' peddle' and brake peddle. Then they took me to the written test room! No!! I said..I already had a Thai licence...I kicked up enough fuss - in English - that they decided to forget that idea and instead made me sit through a one-hour video (in English) on Thai traffic safety, laws, etc. Actually the video was ok - a good refresher.

I was told that if over 3 years expired that a re-test would be required.

I received a five year licence (6 actually for some reason) the cost was 555 baht.

The motto, I guess, is that like your Visa and passport, don't let your licence expire.