Street motorbike racers jailed in swift Hua Hin justice

Street motorbike racers jailed in swift Hua Hin justice

hhh.jpg
Image: Manager Online

HUA HIN:— Swift justice has been meted out to dozens of young people caught racing their bikes on public roads in the Hua Hin area on Saturday night.

Adults have been jailed for a month with the parents of under 18s required to post 3,500 baht bail with the court with their children required to undergo three days of "traffic attitude adjustment" training. Bikes seized will be sold if they do not comply with the court order, reports Manager Online.

A total of 87 young men were arrested in the crackdown on the bypass with 78 bikes taken in. Local police chief Lt. Gen Chaiya Sriladecho said that 28 over 20s have been charged with offences ranging from driving illegally to negligent and dangerous driving and were jailed on Monday for a month.

Some 59 under 18s were ordered by the court to post bail of 3,500 baht before release and undergo three days of training at a juvenile facility in proper behaviour and correct driving techniques. The court ordered the seizing of bikes that could fall into the state's hands if the parents and youths did not comply with the court's orders within a month.

Bikes in the name of some parents, rental shops and others could be claimed at the court on presentation of papers and many had already been there. It was up to the court on a case by case basis to see if there were grounds to return any bike seized.

Parents could face further inquiries, police said, regarding allowing their children's behaviour and the local force intends to talk to bike shops in the Hua Hin area that soup up vehicles for racing in further efforts to stamp out street racing.

Chaiya said that the arrests on Saturday had been successful in curbing the illegal racers and bringing greater calm to the area's roads.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-04

I'm pleased to be able to congratulate the BIB for a good job. Well done, keep up the good work, because it is important, these young lads don't only kill themselves when the crash, they kill innocents as well.

A good start. Hope it lasts.

"Bikes in the name of some parents, rental shops and others could be claimed at the court on presentation of papers..." I could understand rental shops getting bikes back, but keep the others for at least a few weeks. Second offense suggest destroy the bike. No bike=no race.

A good start. Hope it lasts.

"Bikes in the name of some parents, rental shops and others could be claimed at the court on presentation of papers..." I could understand rental shops getting bikes back, but keep the others for at least a few weeks. Second offense suggest destroy the bike. No bike=no race.

Just a thought, but if the rental company rented the bike to someone without a valid driving licence, which it's unlikely that many of these racers possess, then the bike should be confiscated!

Kudos to the cops but ..

" ... undergo three days of training at a juvenile facility in proper behaviour and correct driving techniques"

I wonder where they will find people qualified to do the training? whistling.gif

Finally! Something that makes sense, but long long overdue.

Better now than not at all. Let's be thankful for that

Hard to find anything much to be thankful for here over the past couple of years or so ... if they (whoever is in charge) listened to the "people" for a change, a lot of this cr@p would stop very, very quickly. Alternatively, simply allow the "people" to dispense street justice on those doing wrong as the cops don't seem to be too bothered to do much most of the time if it involves any work at all.

Sounds like a really good start.

Needs to be expanded to cover more areas.

Needs to be done every month or two in different areas.

All bikes used in illegal street racing should be confiscated and sold at auction to benefit the local police i.e. pay for equipment and overtime :)

Hard to find anything much to be thankful for here over the past couple of years or so ... if they (whoever is in charge) listened to the "people" for a change, a lot of this cr@p would stop very, very quickly. Alternatively, simply allow the "people" to dispense street justice on those doing wrong as the cops don't seem to be too bothered to do much most of the time if it involves any work at all.

If you think things will change over night you are dreaming. Thailand doesn't work like that. But small advances are far better than none. Instigating vigilantes is not the way to go contrary to what you may think

It would be nice if they would do this in Phuket, too.

Chiang Mai to every city should get a turn at least on a crackdown. We really need it. This selective policing looks good in the press but is not a confidence builder and the RTP could sure use some of that.

Kudos to the cops but ..

" ... undergo three days of training at a juvenile facility in proper behaviour and correct driving techniques"

I wonder where they will find people qualified to do the training? whistling.gif

Your really reaching on that one laddie.

Thats no way to talk about our fashion plate police force.

A lot can be achieved once police officers are convinced that the consequences of not upholding the law are less desirable than the consequences of upholding it. I am sure other unrelated events in Hua Hin helped to convince everyone they needed to set an example in policing.

kudos to the BIB! Always make me both laugh and irritated when I see them racing about on supped up hairdryers. If you are going to spend money on a bike, at least make it worth while guys ..

kudos? well yes and no, the police need to stamp down on this illegal and dangerous activity consistently throughout the country to bring it to an end.

doesnt it strike you as strange that you offer kuods to someone for simply doing their job? by this measurement of kudos i would gain it all day, every day, i go to work biggrin.png

This is your reply to a story in which the police do something very positive?

Try again without knocking them.

Well done! A statement similar would be more fitting.