• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a monk.

a loan shark?

a murderer!

A loan shark? Where did you get that from? I've lent money to people many times, it doesn't make me a loan shark.

At least the monk acted like one or do you deny that?

I forgot, you only criticise others but you never react when somebody criticise your c#$%.

Edited by hanuman2543

He had been owed money by the farmer who he said was a football gambler. He had tried to get the money back on several occasions.

All this could of been avoided if he had just backed Leicester City to win the premier league at 5000-1 pre-seasonthumbsup.gif

My X Thai GF's brother was a drunk, had two kids which he never took care of, cheated and lied and everything else a scumbag would do. He became a monk and the family would lop down in front of him while he blessed them and acted like he was somebody. It turned my stomach ! After a few years gave up the monkhood and returned to his old self. Respect for that POS not me then or ever. Cloths don't make the man, it's the man that makes the cloths..., or something like that.

Sadly Thais got this hole monk thing all screwed up.

My X Thai GF's brother was a drunk, had two kids which he never took care of, cheated and lied and everything else a scumbag would do. He became a monk and the family would lop down in front of him while he blessed them and acted like he was somebody. It turned my stomach ! After a few years gave up the monkhood and returned to his old self. Respect for that POS not me then or ever. Cloths don't make the man, it's the man that makes the cloths..., or something like that.

Sadly Thais got this hole monk thing all screwed up.

Agreed. A "few years" of wearing robes for free feeds hardly make somebody worthy.

I have however had some interesting conversations with a couple of head monks who I do have a great deal of respect for. They have done quite a bit more than a few years, and been proactive in helping community. They were also able to give me some good advice, and made it memorable by making it funny. Not a bad effort considering their imperfect grasp of English.

Some of them are worth their clothes.. :)

"owed him money to death"? Must be a foreigner who wrote that.

You must be a foreigner sarcastically attempting to ridicule Thais by deliberately posting an incomplete quote.

The actual quote was, as you well know, "An angry monk took a scythe and slashed a farmer who owed him money to death...". Perfectly understandable although a couple of commas would have helped.

You could have made it even more ridiculous by just quoting "money to death" and then criticising that.

Yes - no need, and I've seen much worse use of English pass without comment. As we used to say in my neck of the woods - "Got nowt better to do!"

Edited by sambum

Obviously to become a Monk doesn't include a five year theology course , it's quite evident from a spat of Monk applicants that just about anybody can just wander in, whether you are religious or not .........................................coffee1.gif

"Obviously to become a Monk doesn't include a five year theology course..."

Obviously, but as Buddhusm is atheological, rejecting the idea of God, why would it require a knowledge of theology?

Money is their god. Slight update for ya...

What is a monk doing with money, let lone lending it, in the first place? blink.png

Donation jar?

Lottery numbers are a lucrative biz for the boys in orange. I love religion. Idiots paying clowns. Fantastic. ?

Obviously to become a Monk doesn't include a five year theology course , it's quite evident from a spat of Monk applicants that just about anybody can just wander in, whether you are religious or not .........................................coffee1.gif

Apologies up front, I didn't have enough emotional control to stop this little piece of pedantry... smile.png

Buddhism is not actually a "religion" and you can be buddhist regardless of your religious beliefs. So a five year theology course would be a little off the mark...

Having said that, the guy clearly wasn't following Buddhist tenants and will undoubtedly be de-robed (new word?) when he gets to jail.

"Buddhism is not actually a "religion" and you can be buddhist regardless of your religious beliefs"

This is arguably a western misconception (at least the first part of your statement). For example, Buddhism makes claims about what happens after death, describes laws of karma, and asserts (in the Pali Canon) that there are 31 planes of existence; it also acknowledges the existence of supernatural beings (devas) in some of these realms. These certainly appear to be aspects of religion even if there are no claims about how the universe came into existence nor are there 'gods' to pray to for divine aid (but don't tell that to my gf).

Apologies up front, I didn't have enough emotional control to stop this little piece of pedantry... smile.png

Buddhism is not actually a "religion" and you can be buddhist regardless of your religious beliefs. So a five year theology course would be a little off the mark...

Having said that, the guy clearly wasn't following Buddhist tenants and will undoubtedly be de-robed (new word?) when he gets to jail.

"Buddhism is not actually a "religion" and you can be buddhist regardless of your religious beliefs"

This is arguably a western misconception (at least the first part of your statement). For example, Buddhism makes claims about what happens after death, describes laws of karma, and asserts (in the Pali Canon) that there are 31 planes of existence; it also acknowledges the existence of supernatural beings (devas) in some of these realms. These certainly appear to be aspects of religion even if there are no claims about how the universe came into existence nor are there 'gods' to pray to for divine aid (but don't tell that to my gf).

You make good points and quite correct about the argue part of your statement. By one definition it is not a religion as it has no all powerful creator of the universe. By another definition "any pursuit followed with devotion" is a religion, by that definition getting drunk and bird watching would qualify for many.

I would argue that just because Buddhism has in part an unprovable belief system, which is part of your point, that doesn't make it per se a religion. Every human has some unprovable belief system and they can't all be classed a religion, take superstitions for example. I would also argue that Buddhism doesn't portray itself as "the one true faith" where all others will be "sent to hell" or some such. In fact there is a Buddhist movement to get the religions to find a common interest and stop fighting each other.

But then that is just my belief about definitions... :)

It isn't required to believe in all the unprovable stuff to "be Buddhist", so I just take on the stuff that makes sense to me and ignore the "nutty" stuff. It's a pity that the monk in question forgot the basics. Pity for the farmer that he forgot the basics too. <deleted>, when an angry person has a scythe in their hand don't stand still and abuse them even if they are wearing robes!!!!

More unbelievable stuff on these pages than 50 seasons of The Bill, Coronation Street, EastEnders and Dallas combined.

And it comes to you free, everyday.

More likely de-flowered ;)

Some people in the area we are clearly enter 'monkhood' as a working profession. One guy in a temple near us goes out every morning collects all the food and money then his wife comes around about 7.30 and he offloads bags of food and goodies to her. He chain smokes, has a nice smart phone and a lap top. If he flys to bangkok he books cheap seats and is given upgraded seats on board, and everyone he walks past wai's him. Easy life, and definitely not a monk.

And of course the locals are well aware of this fact as you are, and if that is the case, why do they tolerate this behaviour?

You make good points and quite correct about the argue part of your statement. By one definition it is not a religion as it has no all powerful creator of the universe. By another definition "any pursuit followed with devotion" is a religion, by that definition getting drunk and bird watching would qualify for many.

I would argue that just because Buddhism has in part an unprovable belief system, which is part of your point, that doesn't make it per se a religion. Every human has some unprovable belief system and they can't all be classed a religion, take superstitions for example. I would also argue that Buddhism doesn't portray itself as "the one true faith" where all others will be "sent to hell" or some such. In fact there is a Buddhist movement to get the religions to find a common interest and stop fighting each other.

But then that is just my belief about definitions... smile.png

It isn't required to believe in all the unprovable stuff to "be Buddhist", so I just take on the stuff that makes sense to me and ignore the "nutty" stuff. It's a pity that the monk in question forgot the basics. Pity for the farmer that he forgot the basics too. <deleted>, when an angry person has a scythe in their hand don't stand still and abuse them even if they are wearing robes!!!!

Our views are close. But I would add that it's not about whether one has an 'unprovable belief system' but what that belief system is about. I may believe in ghosts who can choose to make themselves visible or not, but that's not a religious belief. But as I soon as I get into what happens after death (existence of a soul, etc.), external foundations of morality ('cosmic/transcendental punishment' of some sort), powerful beings dwelling in other planes of existence, etc., I'm probably moving into the domain of religion. I also don't think belief in a creator-god is necessary in the definition of a religion... again, that's a very western notion. Jainism and some forms of Hinduism make no claims about how the universe came into existence. And it's probably no coincidence that they emerged in the same part of the world as Buddhism.

BTW, superstitions are not 'unprovable' in the strict sense. One could easily design a study to determine whether walking under ladders is associated with negative outcomes. In fact, in the 19th century, Sir Francis Galton (a relative of Charles Darwin), did some correlational and experimental studies on the efficacy of prayer and found no association/effect. [For instance, he had people pray over potted plants to see if that would extend their lifespans, and he looked at the lifespans of clergy and royalty].

Of course Buddhism is a religion, and as corrupted and idiotic as any other religion because we humans are involved and execute it. In essence religions are harmless and mean good even the pariah known as Islam. As long as science has no answers about the birth of our universe, pre-big bang that is, people will need spirituality to deal with their existence.