Thai govt to promote qualitative agriculture & improve school milk

webfact

Govt to promote qualitative agriculture & improve school milk

BANGKOK, 5 May 2016 (NNT) - The Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister has vowed to promote qualitative agriculture between 2016 and 2017 to safeguard farmers against volatile conditions.

Speaking after a meeting with ministerial executives, Gen Chatchai Sarikulya commented that agriculturists should from now on pay attention to weather reports from the Meteorological Department so that they can be prepared for any changes in weather.

Gen Chatchai said the rainy season was likely to come in the third week of May after which time the planting season should begin. The minister stressed that agriculture in the upcoming season must be carefully planned to prevent damage similar to the one that farmers are experiencing.

The Department of Agriculture is charged with seeking and providing high quality seeds, and fertilisers to agriculturists. The Royal Irrigation Department has been assigned to educate farmers on water management to avoid the risk of water shortages.

Gen Chatchai has also ordered relevant bodies to improve the production and distribution of school milk to solve the problem of substandard products. He emphasised that cattle raisers would get better support, so that students can drink quality milk. The government would fix all the loopholes to enable the school milk project to continue in a transparent manner.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-05 footer_n.gif

"... from now on pay attention to weather reports from the Meteorological Department so that they can be prepared for any changes in weather."

Because the one thing farmers around the world have ignored since the beginning of agriculture....is the weather.

The problem with having the military occasionally run the government is that many of the Generals are not qualified. So every week they learn something, and then in typical fashion they turn around and repeat their new-found knowledge as if they were expert all along.

Thus, such pearls of wisdom as the above General dispenses:

- rain is expected to occur in the rainy season

- farmers should pay attention to weather forecasts

- planting should be planned around the expected weather

- and (because another topic was covered), the quality of school milk should be improved

Fortunately, we have NNT to duly repeat the wisdom.

Next week, perhaps we will get some timely advice on fertilizer and pest control. It all depends on the meeting agenda and what the General learns.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Most of the milk sold here. Is made from powder!

The school milk is pasteurized fresh cows milk not made from powder. However, the milk has to be standardized. So water has to be added if the fat content is above 3.5% or milk powder if the fat content/milk solids are too low. UHT milk is made from milk powder expect when the Government forces the UHT milk companies to take the fresh farmer's mil during the school holidays.

The problems with the "school milk" isn't just about it getting watered down, as someone posted above.

The problems I recall reading here on the subject involved students getting sick after drinking what was rotten or foul milk.

How it got that way, and who was responsible, of course was never publicly explained.

As for the OP article: talk, talk, talk is common. But any resulting actual action is rare!!

What is "qualitative" agriculture? I think it is the norm here as I find any figures given to be difficult to understand but I am not sure..

I'm glad you asked. It could be referring to the "Q mark" of quality given to "Good Agricultural Products"

Speaking of which:

'Q mark' rated fruits, veggies fail toxic residue tests

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/959397/q-mark-rated-fruits-veggies-fail-toxic-residue-tests

I haven't seen this being reported on in this forum. One would expect that anything resembling "qualitative agriculture" produce would not be sprinkled with dangerous levels of toxic chemical residues (11 of which are prohibited substances).

That article was posted on May 4th. This morning (May 6th) we get a response from the Department of Agriculture:

DOA hits back over chemical residue claims

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/960901/doa-hits-back-over-chemical-residue-claims

Pretty standard response from Thai officials. Farangs don't understand "quality" the same as Thais it seems.

How the hell are 100% of all red chillies samples loaded with chemicals? I thought those are one of the least fussy crops around..

What is "qualitative" agriculture? I think it is the norm here as I find any figures given to be difficult to understand but I am not sure..

I'm glad you asked. It could be referring to the "Q mark" of quality given to "Good Agricultural Products"

Speaking of which:

'Q mark' rated fruits, veggies fail toxic residue tests

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/959397/q-mark-rated-fruits-veggies-fail-toxic-residue-tests

I haven't seen this being reported on in this forum. One would expect that anything resembling "qualitative agriculture" produce would not be sprinkled with dangerous levels of toxic chemical residues (11 of which are prohibited substances).

That article was posted on May 4th. This morning (May 6th) we get a response from the Department of Agriculture:

DOA hits back over chemical residue claims

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/960901/doa-hits-back-over-chemical-residue-claims

Pretty standard response from Thai officials. Farangs don't understand "quality" the same as Thais it seems.

How the hell are 100% of all red chillies samples loaded with chemicals? I thought those are one of the least fussy crops around..

The first casualty of war (declared or not, external or internal) is the TRUTH!

And the best method of defense is to attack?

You're right - farang just does not understand. First world countries are just plain dumb! facepalm.gif