Where are the best Isaan restaurants in Pattaya

TSF

Looking for slightly upmarket NE food in Pattaya, preferably around Sth Pattaya. We eat Isaan often but usually at little street stalls/stands/carts, so I'm looking for more upmarket restaurants, preferably a garden restaurant with a good selection of various dishes and cold beers.

I'm sorry that I cannot make a suggestion but I love Isaan food too. Just wanted to mention that you might search the Pattaya Mail website since I'm sure an Isaan restaurant has been reviewed by Ms. Terry Diner or there may be Isaan restaurants found in their ads section.

Good luck.

TSF

There's a food stall on the South Pattaya Rd. approx. 100m after the big temple on the left side (coming fr. 2nd rd.).

Very hard to describe where it is. don't have name so well hard !!!! will try.

maybe more people will help.

Coming into pattaya, from north end on Sukhumvet,

This is well before you get to Naklua junction for say Banglamung post office.

Go past some of the big car dealerships on left,

Keep an eye out for a big temple on the right, think there is only one up there.

start now to look on the left, for a very small restaurant with a Bamboo roof.

about 15 tables all outside, cooking out front, drive very slow or you will miss it.

but you will see it.

Food is cheap and ok, cold beer, yes, your lady will like it.

the place is new'ish, so the food quality is good. ( for Issan ha ha)

You will know its is the right place, it has a small stage in it, for the owners Thai band to play on.

owner plays as well.

i only go in the afternoon, don't want a band,

Lots of Thais go there for lunch, 15:00 is a great time.

Sorry i cant help more.

Will try get name from lady Chang tomorrow.

Edited by onemorechang

I'm sorry that I cannot make a suggestion but I love Isaan food too. Just wanted to mention that you might search the Pattaya Mail website since I'm sure an Isaan restaurant has been reviewed by Ms. Terry Diner or there may be Isaan restaurants found in their ads section.

Good luck.

I actually spent most of yesterday surfing online, found numerous reviews and looked places up on Google maps. Most reviews I read were for places that no longer exist - where there was a nice little Isaan restaurant a year ago, today is a huge building site...lol

So many "old" reviews on the Net. Look up a restaurant or hotel and you get reviews from 2010. 9 times out of 10 the place no longer exists.

But thanks for the Pattaya Mail tip, I will look there.

TSF

There's a food stall on the South Pattaya Rd. approx. 100m after the big temple on the left side (coming fr. 2nd rd.).

Thanks markus, my tirak knows that one and gets stuff there often, however, we're trying to find an upmarket restaurant.

Very hard to describe where it is. don't have name so well hard !!!! will try.

maybe more people will help.

Coming into pattaya, from north end on Sukhumvet,

This is well before you get to Naklua junction for say Banglamung post office.

Go past some of the big car dealerships on left,

Keep an eye out for a big temple on the right, think there is only one up there.

start now to look on the left, for a very small restaurant with a Bamboo roof.

about 15 tables all outside, cooking out front, drive very slow or you will miss it.

but you will see it.

Food is cheap and ok, cold beer, yes, your lady will like it.

the place is new'ish, so the food quality is good. ( for Issan ha ha)

You will know its is the right place, it has a small stage in it, for the owners Thai band to play on.

owner plays as well.

i only go in the afternoon, don't want a band,

Lots of Thais go there for lunch, 15:00 is a great time.

Sorry i cant help more.

Will try get name from lady Chang tomorrow.

Cheers chang, a bit far away from us (Sth Pattaya) but I'll keep it in mind.

I find it strange that there doesn't appear to be any upmarket NE restaurants in Pattaya. I've lived in Pattaya for many years, get around the place all the time, and have never seen nor heard of such a restaurant...street stalls/stands, little shophouse restaurants...plenty of those places around but no real nice upmarket places.

I lived in HatYai back in the 1990s and we went often to a large NE garden restaurant with lights dangling in the trees, a huge selection of NE food, excellent service. Same when I lived in Bang Saen, there's a fantastic NE restaurant near the rear of the Laemthong shopping center. When I lived in Bangkok upmarket NE garden restaurants were all over the place.

But Pattaya?

I find it strange that there doesn't appear to be any upmarket NE restaurants in Pattaya. I've lived in Pattaya for many years, get around the place all the time, and have never seen nor heard of such a restaurant...street stalls/stands, little shophouse restaurants...plenty of those places around but no real nice upmarket places.

Correct.

If you are in Naklua, you could try Somtam Pa Praphai which is very popular.

http://www.pattayaconcierge.com/specified-place/somtam-pa-praphai-pattaya/200800000158/restaurant/

I lived in HatYai back in the 1990s and we went often to a large NE garden restaurant with lights dangling in the trees, a huge selection of NE food, excellent service. Same when I lived in Bang Saen, there's a fantastic NE restaurant near the rear of the Laemthong shopping center. When I lived in Bangkok upmarket NE garden restaurants were all over the place.

But Pattaya?

fresh bananas in South.

There was a similar thread started some years ago. Maybe the recommendations are no longer useful.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/338713-looking-for-issan-food-restaurant/

You might check the rather large menu at Samsakdi's restaurant. Not exactly a "high end" and not an Isaan restaurant, but I expect you might find some of the dishes you're looking for there.

somsakdi-s-by-night.jpg

post-145917-0-56375900-1462517616_thumb.

Name is something like 'ja toy'.

Off soi 8 Threpasit, past the big Pommy farang bar on the left, on a corner selling chicken and kawneo.

Go down that soi to the left about 2 km and on the right is a wooden place with indian heads old jeep etc. Like a collectors place.

Beer needs ice. Order dishes by chilly percent. For kn Isaan about 80 to 100%, for farang, hot stuff is about 10%.

Been there for years and always get good food.

Dont worry about the boy girls serving as they've been there for years as well.

But Pattaya?

fresh bananas in South.

So that's the reason, I been wondering for years, now I know....:-)

There was a similar thread started some years ago. Maybe the recommendations are no longer useful.

You might check the rather large menu at Samsakdi's restaurant. Not exactly a "high end" and not an Isaan restaurant, but I expect you might find some of the dishes you're looking for there.

I actually found that thread yesterday when I was searching, but I did Google street searches and I think most of the restaurants mentioned in that thread no longer exist.

Correct.

If you are in Naklua, you could try Somtam Pa Praphai which is very popular.

http://www.pattayaconcierge.com/specified-place/somtam-pa-praphai-pattaya/200800000158/restaurant/

Thanks, that one does look promising. It's a bit far away but I'd like to go take a look nonetheless.

There's an Isaan restaurant in a shophouse in the soi that runs next to Tuk Com, we're going to take a look this evening, if that's not to our liking there's one on Pattaya Nua just down a bit from Tesco.

While being up the scale from street stalls & carts neither are really what I'm looking for, but we'll take a look anyway.

Sukhumvit south, in Najomtien turn left into Hua Yai at traffic lights. About 1km on left huge Isaan restaurant, drive in to big parking. 2 floors, wooden construction. Don't know name but can't miss at night due to lights. Ate there once. Dancing shrimps. Sick the next day. Must be authentic.

Name is something like 'ja toy'.

Off soi 8 Threpasit, past the big Pommy farang bar on the left, on a corner selling chicken and kawneo.

Go down that soi to the left about 2 km and on the right is a wooden place with indian heads old jeep etc. Like a collectors place.

Beer needs ice. Order dishes by chilly percent. For kn Isaan about 80 to 100%, for farang, hot stuff is about 10%.

Been there for years and always get good food.

Dont worry about the boy girls serving as they've been there for years as well.

I'm told it's called, "Jar Toi".

And it's the best place around for Issan style food (very spicy)!

As mentioned above the small Soi on the left is on a right hand bend a few hundred yards after the P&J pub.

Excellent food, and it's a bit like going back in time with the decor.

Word of advise, use mozzy repellent.

While being up the scale from street stalls & carts neither are really what I'm looking for, but we'll take a look anyway.

Have you tried any of the Thai Pubs on/off 3rd Road ?

Not Isaan specific, but many have excellent Som Tams, Laabs, Nam Toks etc.

Our favourites are, Pluag Mai and Khon La Fan.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/-PLUAG-MAI/266540753373781?fref=ts

http://gis.pattaya.go.th/pattaya_social/en/more_color_inside_detail.php?id=PO0000010366&SubCate=4

https://www.wongnai.com/restaurants/83709aH-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9D%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99/reviews

I actually found that thread yesterday when I was searching, but I did Google street searches and I think most of the restaurants mentioned in that thread no longer exist.

Probably not. Somsak takes Thai dishes and adulterates them to western tastes. It's like eating at a Thai restaurant in Northampton... except it's hotter (climate).

We ate last night at our usual little Isaan cart on Soi Ko Pai. Very cheap and food is pretty good. 2 X somtums, 2X khao neio, 1 X larp pla duk, 2 X pla tu yang, plus a free plate of fresh vegis cost 200Bt. They don't sell beer so BYO from the nearest 7/11. Guess we'll just stick with that for now.

Any you guys have a Thai wife looking for a good business idea then open an upmarket Isaan garden restaurant in Pattaya. Dangle all the pretty lights in the trees, put in some decent garden furniture, have a good selection of Isaan food and a good range of beers....won't go wrong, I'm amazed such a place doesn't exist already in Pattaya.

Any you guys have a Thai wife looking for a good business idea then open an upmarket Isaan garden restaurant in Pattaya. Dangle all the pretty lights in the trees, put in some decent garden furniture, have a good selection of Isaan food and a good range of beers....won't go wrong, I'm amazed such a place doesn't exist already in Pattaya.

They do exist, they are just not Isaan specific as you are requesting.

Edited by TaaSaparot

Not up-market but very good I believe a couple of doors down towards Pattaya tai from The Road Machine motor cycle shop on 3rd road............almost opposite "The Village"