Forget Donald Trump, Australia needs to worry about the Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte

webfact

Forget Donald Trump, Australia needs to worry about the Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte
Lindsay Murdoch
SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

A political hand-grenade has just being tossed into Asian politics

MANILA: -- Rodrigo Duterte's upset victory in the Philippines presidential elections will have serious consequences for how the region responds to China's aggressive claim to vast tracts of the South China Sea, one of the world's most dangerous flashpoints.

The arrival in Malacanang palace in June of a 71 year-old crime-fighting provincial mayor with no experience in dealing with complex foreign policy issues will alarm the Philippines' closest allies, including the United States and Australia, and threatens gains made through years of painstaking diplomacy with outgoing president Benigno Aquino on regional security and other issues.

It also threatens to shatter what little hope there was that the 10-member Association of South-East Asian Nations could remain united to stand-up to China on the South China Sea, where some US$5 trillion of trade passes each year.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/forget-donald-trump-australia-needs-to-worry-about-the-philippines-rodrigo-duterte-20160510-goqkyl.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2016-05-10

The world is getting interesting again.

Either I am growing older, and relatively smarter or now just anyone who sounds macho gets to run a country.

Intelligence was never a prerequisite to being in Office.

Anywhere.

I can tell you this....things are starting to simmer, not only in the mideast.

People in the Philippines were just fed up with their history of political injustices....

just as the people are in the USA...that want changes.

Change is happening quicker than it normally would. Britex, TrumpOmania, Duterte.

Not to mention rumblings in China, North Korea, Russia...and as always..the middle east (exponentially).

Now...don't tell me I am wearing tin foil and running around like a chicken about the sky falling...

Just think that the inevitable "It's now or Never...change this" is happening in too many places at once.

It might be a good sign.

Edited by slipperylobster

I'm happy for the Phils that they got a "real" president for once. Rody must be very careful as the establishment of puppets will want him to be eliminated.

Marcos was good (up to the end) about keeping thugs in line. Lets see if this guy can play the part.

My guess...people are going to start suffering from lead poisoning. Lots of them.

World over, the common folk are sick and tired of "same old, same old". Not withstanding the fact that there really wasn't a viable alternative, why else would they embrace Donald Trump the way they have?

I think this guy is great. He is a right in your face guy.He is the type that will clean things up and say screw political correctness let's get the job done. I hope he challenges China with the laying of the flag.

The world is getting interesting again.

Either I am growing older, and relatively smarter or now just anyone who sounds macho gets to run a country.

Intelligence was never a prerequisite to being in Office.

Anywhere.

I can tell you this....things are starting to simmer, not only in the mideast.

People in the Philippines were just fed up with their history of political injustices....

just as the people are in the USA...that want changes.

Change is happening quicker than it normally would. Britex, TrumpOmania, Duterte.

Not to mention rumblings in China, North Korea, Russia...and as always..the middle east (exponentially).

Now...don't tell me I am wearing tin foil and running around like a chicken about the sky falling...

Just think that the inevitable "It's now or Never...change this" is happening in too many places at once.

It might be a good sign.

And the sky is falling...

Gold buried in the back yard and a pallet of ramon noodles under the house. Woo-woo