Isaan farang burger 'King' and his charming 'Prince' go viral!

webfact

if it's lowkey a lot is possible if you are respected in the area u're operating. BKK officials can't be bothered with some lone guy in the sticks selling let's say pancakes. there used to be (probably still is) a great noodle restaurant in satun operated by a farang and his thai wife. many local officials had lunch there, they liked the guy, they liked his noodles, everybody happy. doing the same on samui or somewhere touristy is another story of course.

The Sticks???

Are we talking about the same place?

Udon is packed with farangs and traffic. Although not as bad as Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Shucks...our bamboo hut even has a roof on it.

Certainly not the sticks.

Edited by slipperylobster

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling vegan food to Thais. Good luck with that

Look for this sign when ordering vegan food in Thailand.

Plenty of vegan restaurants in Thailand aimed at Thai customers.

vegetarian-dishes-thailand.jpg

it's called ahaan jeh and there is a festival each year (9 days)...

in phuket it's the festival where they put knives and sword in their cheeks.

more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Emperor_Gods_Festival

if it's lowkey a lot is possible if you are respected in the area u're operating. BKK officials can't be bothered with some lone guy in the sticks selling let's say pancakes. there used to be (probably still is) a great noodle restaurant in satun operated by a farang and his thai wife. many local officials had lunch there, they liked the guy, they liked his noodles, everybody happy. doing the same on samui or somewhere touristy is another story of course.

The Sticks???

Udon is packed with farangs and traffic. Although not as bad as Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Udon is a province too with loads of... sticks coffee1.gif

The article nowhere states the guy is in the middle of Udon city (does it?)...

Protected job for Thais only, he's breaking the law and could be arrested any day now, pity.

Curious how the foreigner girls are bartending and gaining employment as wait staff at the Hooters @ Pattaya?

Stories like this just show what a strange view of the outside world many Thais have. Majority here must think that every western foreigner must be so rich or they have magically filling banking accounts.

WHAT!!!

So you don't have a money tree? I bought mine over here from home, but it took a while to get it to grow baht leaves instead of Dollars, but with perseverance and some engenuative cloning.......

Protected job for Thais only, he's breaking the law and could be arrested any day now, pity.

Curious how the foreigner girls are bartending and gaining employment as wait staff at the Hooters @ Pattaya?

Not really curious, not new, been going on for 15 years or so, I s'pose they learnt from the Russian girls who started working in the first Russian Bar in Soi BJ around the turn of the century.

"Working, officer? Working? Frankly I'm outraged by the suggestion. My son here is a young entrepreneur and the business is his alone. I'm merely assisting his education and ensuring that no harm comes to him".

[With acknowledgments to the Pink Panther, and whether it's the beggar or the monkey who's collecting the money].

Does he have a WP and the appropriate qualifications to teach?

Thank you social media for possibly ruining this mans life.

Get it straight We are all responsible for what we do in life He chose to break the law It is NOT social media that ruined his life He may have

ruined his life by not abiding by the law.

Did your bushy moustache quiver with sheer indignation when you wrote that po-faced sanctimonious bilge?

Edited by Merylhighground

What's with the nonsense reference to "respected"? Do those making the remark seriously believe some impoverished foreigner operating a food cart is "respected'? Money, position, physical accoutrements, uniforms, titles all equate with respect in Thailand. Operating food cart does not.

Stories like this just show what a strange view of the outside world many Thais have. Majority here must think that every western foreigner must be so rich or they have magically filling banking accounts.

We do. It's called a pension.

Every Sunday on walking market Lamai 2 or 3 westerners are selling food on the street, last week someone I had never seen before was looking totally relax selling kebabs, he was with a Thai wife but did all the job himself.

Every time I wondered how is it possible so deliberately in Samui, but may it is not and then it does not last very long??

100,000 views and 36,000 shares on the internet is not what i would call "lowkey" ( low key ).

The Ministry of Labor is losing face over this.

All publicity is not good publicity here in Thailand.

I would guess his days are numbered.

"A picture of a foreign man and his son selling burgers went viral on Facebook yesterday. "

If he's successful, expect 20 Vegan Runners Cafes, operated by Thais and using an exact copy of the sign, to open up right next to him.

.....AND with a smile wai2.gif

Hope they are licensed to sell, else all hell will break lose. Jail and after that deportation.

Yeah yeah yeah and dead penalty and torture and skinned alive ?

All you need is one jealous local person who reports it in. The foreign guy loses his little business, and locals take over the entire idea.

No, all you need is some well meaning fool to post that you are violating the law, and have it viewed 100,000 times on the internet.

Yes, the Thai government is monitoring posts on the internet

The new government's interest in what people post on the internet is a big news story this week...on the internet, including this site.

Thank you social media for possibly ruining this mans life.

Get it straight We are all responsible for what we do in life He chose to break the law It is NOT social media that ruined his life He may have

ruined his life by not abiding by the law.

Bwaaaah, do the law abide by the law...?

thumbsup.gif I will remember this one smile.png

Predictably, this has attracted bristling indignation amongst the usual suspects on here..........amusing that they get so worked up about a foreigner who has actually got the gumption to do something other than sit on his arse all day whinging..........jealousy is a terrible thing fellas :)

It is common knowledge that there are many restrictions on what jobs a non Thai person can have in Thailand.

You are expected to either be qualified to work one of the approved , but limited number of,professions available to foreigners, or have another legal source of income.

If you do not meet the financial requirements to be here...

You should not be here!

What kind of visa does he have?

Has he been falsifying his income statement when renewing his extension of stay with immigration?

People who do things like that cause us all to be scrutinized more closely when we are dealing with immigration and the Ministry of Labor.

I do not view them as brave heros.

Predictably, this has attracted bristling indignation amongst the usual suspects on here..........amusing that they get so worked up about a foreigner who has actually got the gumption to do something other than sit on his arse all day whinging..........jealousy is a terrible thing fellas smile.png

yep, they get a little tingle thinking they can predict this guys future, or even blame him for some unknown problem they have or are going to have. good for them, everybody has to have some kind of life

Edited by phycokiller

The Sticks???

Udon is a province too with loads of... sticks coffee1.gif

The article nowhere states the guy is in the middle of Udon city (does it?)...

Yes. And I drive across the whole wild remote province of Udon in 90 minutes.

lol. Have to use carabao and foot trails...as there are no roads.

Just kidding. Lots of small towns he might be holed up in. I saw a hamburger guy operate in Ban Chen Yuen...just about 10 kilometers west of the City of Udon. He hits all the suburbs. Had a motorbike and sidecar. I even bought one from him. There are many places without a Tesco. Nice to have him.

live and let live.

Edited by slipperylobster

Reminds me of the The Farang Yum Woonsen Vendor Of Bangkok

What a lovely story. Thankyou for that video. There is more to a book than its cover. This man is obviously in love with his wife and doesn't care for money just to get by and stay next to his wife. Great story.