What has happened with Dentists and sedation

cmth

I am one of those people that must have gas or sedation during any dental work. You can't even clean my teeth without it. I had a filling come out today and not one dental clinic or hospital will do Nitrous Oxide or any kind of sedation. I know this used to be available because one of my friends needed it as well and it wasn't that long ago. Maybe a small dental clinic I could understand, maybe you could convince me why a larger dental clinic may not offer it but I can not fathom to guess why a hospital would not provide this service.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already checked with them. It would probably be a shorter list if I posted the places I haven't contacted instead of the ones I have. It amazes me at how some of the simple, easy things are so hard to accomplish here sometimes. I know it was available within the last year but it seems to have vanished. Clinics that have offered it in the past are no longer doing it.

Avoid any dental clinic which offers "sedation"

Such techniques should only ever be used within a hospital environment.

If no hospital dental department in Chiang Mai will accept the very real risk associated with providing "sedation" you should go to one of the major

Bangkok hospitals/dental hospitals where such a service would be available.

Just answering the OP's question, the rest is up to him.

If no hospital dental department in Chiang Mai will accept the very real risk associated with providing "sedation" you should go to one of the major

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nitrous Oxide is available in almost every Dentist in the US, even the small offices. Light "sedation" is available, in office, at most medium to large dental clinics. IV sedation is reserved for the large clinics, but still not a hospital environment. My ex was a PA for an Anesthesiologist for many years so I am well aware of any risks involved. If we want to scare monger, even receiving an inoculation, injection, or minor cut can be fatal under the wrong circumstances.

Nitrous oxide is A joke.Had it used in 1969 for A root canal.It works but what I recommend is Sodium Pentathol.Wow and Wow.

You won't even recognise that your in A dentist chair.It's not the cheapest.But it's the best thing I have ever encountered at A dentist office.

Nitrous oxide is A joke.Had it used in 1969 for A root canal.It works but what I recommend is Sodium Pentathol.Wow and Wow.

You won't even recognise that your in A dentist chair.It's not the cheapest.But it's the best thing I have ever encountered at A dentist office.

Thanks, but I would prefer to stay away from the barbiturates.(Not that I am given a menu of sedation medications). Nitrous Oxide is plenty sufficient. Anything that is in the lethal injection recipe would not be my first choice.

You can't get sodium pentathol in a dentist chair in Thailand, you need to push them to make sure they give you enough local.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nitrous Oxide is available in almost every Dentist in the US, even the small offices. Light "sedation" is available, in office, at most medium to large dental clinics. IV sedation is reserved for the large clinics, but still not a hospital environment. My ex was a PA for an Anesthesiologist for many years so I am well aware of any risks involved. If we want to scare monger, even receiving an inoculation, injection, or minor cut can be fatal under the wrong circumstances.

I am saddened to learn that US dentists are prepared to take such risks .

Enjoy the content of the links

http://www.cricklaw.com/docs/Death_in_the_Chair_Article.pdf

Such risks...? It is much safer be administered N2O at a dentists surgery than it is to drive there,

I am saddened that you are scaremongering to the point of paranoia . blink.png

Edited by aussiebrian

Are you sure you are telling the truth? When was the last time you had Sodium Pentathol? You wouldn't lie to us now would you? Hmmm What, no laughing gas? cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Here is another link to the crazy risks people take. Enjoy.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/12/09/a-deadly-ritual-5-men-who-died-from-shaving/

This was the "cocktail" I was administered when I had my wisdom teeth extracted in the USA when I was about 18 years old. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0030422052900728

After I woke up the dentist handed me the bill and I wrote him a check. I went home and slept for about 12 hours... About 4 days later I got a telephone call from my bank asking me if I had in fact written a check to a ".......D.D.S." to which I replied yes and what was the problem? They said the writing was really strange and they did not recognize my signature....

Edited by elektrified

I always opted for light sedation when visiting my dentist in New Zealand because of a fear of injections and it was administered in the vein on the back of my hand, from a very small syringe.

Would love to find somewhere in Phuket which does this or similar (nitrous oxide) because of the huge problems encountered after visiting a dentist in Chalong who carried out bridge work and had me in pain for months, now years, not to mention the fear and pain of undergoing multiple injections in the chair for hours on end.

Sympathise with the OP.

During my last operation at CM RAM I was put under by an anesthetist who used a Gas.

On the table, surgeon waiting, a lady anesthetist said 'Just like oxygen', placed a clear mask over my nose and mouth and it was literally two/three breaths and next I was waking up in recovery room.

No idea what gas she used, tasteless and odorless, no ill effects, just B5,000 anenthestist's fee.

john

I start having stomach turning events the moment I see a dentist chair. No dentist has ever caused me any pain, psychological I understand.

Suffering is part of the health care paradigm here.

Ridiculous, pointless comment.
The concept of dukkha is a part of the health care philosophy here IMO. Why do you think there is so little in the way of pain and anxiety medication used in the health care system here?

Why do you need laughing gas or a truth drug?

Procaine/Novocaine will do the job!

Novocaine will numb the area around the procedure if dosed and administered properly, and the recipient has a "standard" response to the Novocaine. However, not everyone has a "standard" response. The effectiveness and dosage of any drug is different for every individual. I happen to not be in the "standard" category. If you are willing to have someone with a power drill inside of your mouth without the full benefit and numbing effect of Novocaine, then more power to you. I, however, am not and would not expect anyone to go through unnecessary pain or discomfort when it is so easily avoided.

During my last operation at CM RAM I was put under by an anesthetist who used a Gas.

On the table, surgeon waiting, a lady anesthetist said 'Just like oxygen', placed a clear mask over my nose and mouth and it was literally two/three breaths and next I was waking up in recovery room.

No idea what gas she used, tasteless and odorless, no ill effects, just B5,000 anenthestist's fee.

john

I start having stomach turning events the moment I see a dentist chair. No dentist has ever caused me any pain, psychological I understand.

Was this a dental procedure? I have spoken with CM RAM in depth and they are telling me that they do not provide any sedation or gas for dental care.

Thanks for the link. I will check with them and update the post. Many of the other clinics I have contacted still show this as available on their website but will tell you it is not when you call. Let's hope this one is different.

I was able to contact this clinic today after several tries. It appears that they do offer Nitrous Oxide (according to the person who answered the phone anyway). The problem lies in the fact that Dentist is not available until the 20th.