German woman suffers broken nose after attack in Ayutthaya historical park

webfact

Most news stories say that the police are examining CCTV... Are there really that many CCTV's in Thailand? I've lived here for more than 10 years and can't say that I've noticed CCTV's... Even if they are installed, how many of them actually work, and have film/video, 1%?

Yes, another reason not to wear a stupid Chang vest in public that shows your unsightly shoulder and back hair.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly we hear of so few of these common crimes that happen all around the world .

Countries such as Thailand under military rule are seeing their economies suffer.

There is no question it makes it far more desperate and dangerous

This sort of assault has being going on for a lot longer than the current govts period of rule.

There is decapitation in some countries for being a christian, crime is in every country, USA is awash with it.

It would not surprise me if there are orders given NOT to report on these issues as it may have a negative refection on the country and hurt it's image.

Then there's the profits of tourist income that could be put at risk and we know just what is most important in LOS.

BTW I wonder if they will fine her 500 Baht for fighting? OK seriously who will be paying for her medical bills?

Now if the country had to pay compensation to victims of assault's I would imagine the BIB would be told to get off their ass and catch these thugs and gaol them for a minimum of one year gaol...

Lemme guess, australian taxpayers pay the bills for people who get attacked in Australia, especially foreign tourist. Where I come from, a tourist gets attacked, he/she pays the bill until the perp is cought. There is no alternative except insurance.

whistling.gifwhistling.gif Funny, i was just reading of some football fans in the U.K. who attacked a bus containing fans from another club.

it now appears that club has decided to ban their fans involved in the attack from attending their matches for LIFE.

post-248141-14630246128935_thumb.jpg

post-248141-14630246226416_thumb.jpg

post-248141-14630246422039_thumb.jpg

Everything should be in this Thai Airways magazine. Last month there was a "woman's guide to Thailand"

Should be advised not to flight when Thai guy is trying to snatch a bag because it might cause nose injury. Ka.

Sadly we hear of so few of these common crimes that happen all around the world .

Countries such as Thailand under military rule are seeing their economies suffer.

This sort of assault has being going on for a lot longer than the current govts period of rule.

There is decapitation in some countries for being a christian, crime is in every country, USA is awash with it.

-------------------------------

I didn't say that in my post above......but that was what i was thinking.....random violence is becoming the new normal worldwide.

If caught, the perpetrator will go to jail, and will not receive a 500 baht fine, as some people think.

Theft in Thailand, believe it or not, is a very serious crime in the eyes of the justice system.

However, even in the harsh conditions of the jails here, scum like this will just take it in his stride.

Behave well inside, get the sentence reduced by half, and on release he will probably re-offend in the hope that he will not be caught again.

Crime stats are way up in Thailand due the the country being under military rule and suffering economically.

Sure these crimes always exist and can be said to happen in all countries.

That doesn't alter the facts that its happening more frequently now in this particular Nation

It's a topic we increasing dwell on here now.

Rapes, murders, and assaults , two weeks ago it was elderly westerners bashed and hospitalised .

Last week a murdered disabled man by six attackers all Thai.

Thais involved with police connections might even walk.

Today an innocent German lady.

Luckily people were able to scare attacker away before it might have worsened.

Thailand has it apologists here.

So I recommend google or just browse this site.

Please cite your cirime stats reference.

Fat Mike that usually props the corner up ;)

Really, Thailand sustains another well deserved black

Eye for the tourist industry. If the a police allow these

Attacks to continue the remaining local Thais will be

Back to ridding water buffaloes .....Tourists will gladly

Take their money elsewhere.

Bloody nose sustained; let's not spin the truth here.

Regarding your unrelated, apologist, comment on crime in the USA: So what?

As to your first assertion: BS.

....'care bear' bs......

...all pretend.....

...doesn't seem they really give a damn......

...just numbers...volume....profit.....

...the local criminals are 'kept in check' as long as they can hit on foreigners....at will.....

I was reading that crime under the coup people have risen 72% overall.

Sexual assault has increased by only 17% but was always high.

Robbery and assault on a minor scale account for the sharpest increases.

Murder has risen .

I just read this on that particular subject.

As the source isn't permitted here BP

I am quoting another source below

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

Deaths of foreigners

A number of high-profile Westerners have died in Bangkok hotels including Hollywood actor David Carradine, The director of Tata Motors, Karl Slym, (British), and American businesswoman Wendy Albano.

David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, a backpacking couple from England, were murdered on the island of Ko Tao in 2014. In December 2015 the suspected killers were found guilty.[1] They face execution by lethal injection. In 2013 an American expat was chopped to death by his Bangkok cabbie with a sword. Murders are frequent enough that one writer produced a book called How Not To Get Murdered In ThailandThe author mentions the case of the murdered American Troy Pilkington and noted the contrasting dangers of both taxi cabs and public transportation.One of the issues with cabbies is their alleged drug use and abuse at the hands of Chinese organized crime network which often charge them high fee to operate in the city. The cabbies are typically poor farmers trying to earn money for their rural families.Whatever the reasons for their demise, indeed many of the deaths are confusing or have unclear causes, Thailand has remained popular for adventures.One young Brit, Christina Annesley, was found dead on Thai's Ko Tao. Musicians at a Thailand bar stabbed an American businessman to death in front of his son, there to celebrate his birthday with his family. Thai police arrested three of the musicians for the crime.

<deleted> are everywhere - pretty sure there's a per capita quota of about 5% per society.

The problem Thailand faces is that they've marketed themselves so heavily on the tourism?"land of smiles" angle that they've set the bar of expectations pretty high.

Would people be as shocked to hear about this happening in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos? I'm guessing not so much. But here the expectations that tourists have as to how they'll be treated (brought to you in part by the TAT) are almost too high.

Any negative incident will be magnified times ten. But, welcome to the hospitality industry (essentially this country's main. Be nice to the guests - especially when your economy is slated to grow less than every other country in ASEAN this year and tourism is your only real lifeline.

Do they filter the news? I spoke to a long time Dutch resident living on Koh Chang. He said on average two motocyclists are killed each week on Koh Chang. How many are reported???

Most accidents don't make the news. Thailand is #2 in the world for road casualties, yet only a handful anyone hears about. The media can't possibly cover everything that happens, not to mention, they are Thai and are only going to work so much.

As the Thai economy continues to deteriorate and household debt mounts, low income and indebted people will especially become desparate for survival. As given by the government that there is virtually no unempolyment opportunities, crime provides a quick solution. The superficial causes of violent theft crimes may seem unlimited and unrelated but their common factor is not the wealthy (who use more sophisticated means of theft) but the low income/indebted people who commit them.

TheJunta government has begun to explore financial safety nets - enacting one type that will be effective a decade or more in the future and limited low income housing now being built only in Bangkok. But otherwise there is really nothing immediate that people can fall on for support. Leave the country for work and one competes against other ASEAN workers.

Seems to happen more and more. Soon the news coverage of these incidents will not be enough motivation for the BiB anymore to really try to catch the bad guys. And then again... what if they catch the rat? An apology, a wai and back to farang mugging.

Yes, I've been thinking this also.

It does seem to happen more and more.

Crime stats are way up in Thailand due the the country being under military rule and suffering economically.

That doesn't alter the facts that its happening more frequently now in this particular Nation

Rapes, murders, and assaults , two weeks ago it was elderly westerners bashed and hospitalised .

Please cite your cirime stats reference.

Other thaivisa posters repeat it day after day, so it must be true.

No real figures, just the vibe of the content.

Pretty much like the falling tourist numbers, that are rising?

if i remember it was in ayuthaya, few years ago, a japanese woman was robbed and murdered... this german girl can feel very but very lucky.

I keep repeating, this country is really unsafe. For every violent assault or murder who made the news, you have certainly hundred that have been covered.

Edited by Bender

Ominously on this forum just yesterday it was reported there has been a huge spike in the number of cases of gambling addiction amongst young people in Thailand.

Maybe the number of cases of this kind of desperate crime will also increase as these young people look for ways to quickly find money to pay off their gambling debts?

My friends who had lived in Jomtien Beach for the last

Ten years had enough. They relocated to Costa Rica.

Cost of living is about the same as Thailand, warm weather.

Great food.

Anyone lived in Costa Rica ?? I will visit them over Christmas.

Thinking about doing the move too, Thailand is not what it was

10 years ago, but I guess no place stays the same.

Any helpful info, would be appreciated from someone that

Has lived there.

Edited by little mary sunshine

Great food.

Has lived there.

It's similar to Phillipines more than Thailand; anything not locked up is stolen.

Not smooth as silk

The grammar police are hovering, waiting to pounce on those that use "Apologist". Frankly, I can't think of a better word to describe those who think Thais, and the junta in particular, can do no wrong.

I will continue to use it with glee and hope that you do too.

Great food.

Has lived there.

It depends what you are after.

I do not feel in anyway threatened here, yes, it is not the same as 10 years ago, but where is ?

Over the years I have been here, I have made some great friends. It takes time to do this, and am I prepared to leave here and start all over again, on the other side of the world ? Not me.

I read about these crimes everyday on TV, then read the local, not national, newspapers in the UK, in my eyes, it is safer here.

If you did not read TV, and only read the national newspaper here, you would not see much crime reported.

I know nothing about Costa Rica, but it is now 2016, and I would guess there is probably as much localised crime there, as here, but it is not publicised in the media we follow.

If you do move, good luck, but in 10 years time you will be saying 'things aren't the same here as 10 years ago'.

This is TVF, the thread's about Thailand. Please stop trying to lessen the offense by comparing.

Correct Bluespunk. And many countries who are not under a military rule are seeing their economies suffer.

But some poster just can't help themselves and have lost touch with reality.

"Countries such as Thailand under military rule are seeing their economies suffer."

Ironic isn't it that Thailand is under military rule with the manpower and facilities to impose martial law, and still crime against both Thais and tourists is increasing?

Guess military rule is nothing to be concerned about, at least for the criminal element.