Indian robbed fellow tourists at Chiang Mai hotels and guest houses, say police

webfact

Indian robbed fellow tourists at Chiang Mai hotels and guest houses, say police

in.jpg
Image: Manager Online

CHIANG MAI:-- Police have arrested an Indian tourist who was thieving from other visitors to Thailand.

Chiang Mai police said that twenty five year Samnanee Jinnathalee's modus operandi was to rent rooms at hotels, guest houses and homestays then rob fellow tourists of their valuables at night, reports Manager Online.

He was caught Wednesday after robbing three German tourists at a homestay in the Thung Than Tawan estate in the downtown area of the city on Tuesday night. He had rented a room at the homestay then stolen electrical goods before getting in a taxi to another hotel where he stayed for the night.

He was traced next morning and found to be in possession of three computer notebooks, a mobile phone and 5,000 baht in cash stolen from the German tourists.

He was found to be on overstay since November last year and told police that he had turned to crime after he ran out of money.

He has been charged with stealing property in the hours of darkness.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-12

Samnanee Jinnathalee - poor quality tourist he.

Interesting charge, 'stealing property in the hours of darkness'; I believe the penalties are more severe than just stealing (that is in the daylight hours). I suppose the reasoning is that people might feel safer at night and that police are less likely to be called out with criminals playing for higher stakes - pragmatism!

I heard the same saying used by Southern Thais when referring to Muslims a good 15 years ago, so it goes around the diaspora.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Edited by haybilly

The punishment will be doubled because it happened in nighttime.

It is actually true that nighttime theft is a worse crime than the same thing in daylight.

To me, it is bizarre, theft is theft.

A Thai friend explained it to me. There is more chance that someone will be at home at night and as such higher chance of a confrontation with the occupants making it a more dangerous situation.

Under Thai law it is considered a more serious crime despite your ill-informed derision

I think my information is right and not uninformed.

Link for your unfounded statement

You can find proof of mine in the Penal Code Edited by hanuman2543

Under Thai law it is considered a more serious crime despite your ill-informed derision

No proof till now? That means your statement was a l$%e to attack me. As the self proclaimed expert on all Thai things here let me tell you you lost your credibility and your face.

Stealing during the hours of darkness...

Hmmmm...that sounds far more sinister than stealing during the hours of "Lightness"

Does a crime committed at night time result in heavier penalties...I wonder

Cheers

Stealing during the hours of darkness...

Hmmmm...that sounds far more sinister than stealing during the hours of "Lightness"

Does a crime committed at night time result in heavier penalties...I wonder

Cheers

Yes, believe it or not, it usually does.

I think you misunderstood. Hanuman2543 is correct, not being derisory or sarcastic.

The maximum penalty is usually doubled (or more) for a property crime committed during the hours of darkness.

I think you misunderstood. Hanuman2543 is correct, not being derisory or sarcastic.

The maximum penalty is usually doubled (or more) for a property crime committed during the hours of darkness.

He is the "know it all about Thailand" and is always picking on other posters. In the last some weeks he has proven without a doubt that he knows not much and is lying to attack other posters. He should know at least that he has lost his face.

havent stayed in a guesthouse/hotel recently that hasnt got internal CCTV.

cant see how one would get past even one such theft given that you also need to supply an ID to rent a room. doubt if the reception wouldnt check for overstay as they have to fill in forms to send to emigration.

stange story indeed

Edited by nationalInquirer