Stupid Question From A Stupid Guy

Sorry if this sounds too stupid or just not really answerable. I'm a Native English Speaker with a University Degree from an English University in a subject other than Education. I have not done any TESOL/CELTA/etc. type courses but would be willing to try. I'm not really interested in teaching children, I would prefer to work with Adults or HS Students.

Is there any availability for someone to 'teach' English on a part-time basis (weekend or a 1-2 days a week). Not looking to make a living off of it, but rather something to do to keep me active/engaged in 'work' type atmosphere (I have plenty of activities that keep me busy the rest of the day, that's why only part-time).

Or is this just something 'not done' here and I should not even bother looking.

Note: NOT looking for private tutor type jobs (I think those are of questionable legality). Would prefer to work for a company/school, all on the level.

Thank you.

Hi there,

There are probably many teachers who don't do a full 8 hour working day, so basically, if you are able to find an institution or company who is interested in employing you and who is prepared to sponsor the work permit, then I'm sure the actual working hours could be negotiated. There is no mention of hours on the WP itself, so not entirely a stupid question. The problem would be, of course, finding an employer who is looking for someone to work part-time. Small chance of that, but not impossible, I would guess.

smile.png

The work permit process requires reams of papers, first to get a Non-Immigrant 'B' Visa, then to get the work permit and then to get an extension past the 90 days that the Visa allows. Very few if any employers would be willing to do the work for a part time weekend employee.

WP is a lot of paper, but not reams, half perhaps. No one will give you WP for PT work. In fact many FT language centers from what I understand don't procure permits.

If you are not in Thailand, do not come here if you need a job to support yourself. The pay is dire. Have a look at Craig's to see what sort of rubbish is usually on offer. Finally, hiring season is essentially done so you are looking at October (September).

Good luck with China

I agree with other members that only a full time job would be 'on the level' with a non-immigrant B visa and work permit. However, the assumption that even working full time puts someone 'on the level' is sadly not always the case in Thailand. Some schools and language centers employ people full time and don't support visas or work permits. This is Thailand (TIT - you'll read that a lot!)
I've met many teachers here over the years who worked at private schools, international kindergartens and language centers where their visas were not supported and they didn't have work permits. One school would make teachers do visa runs every month or ask them to apply for student visas (at their own expense) meaning that the teachers would miss work (and therefore lose money) every time they had to sort their visas.
In answer to the other question, there are many language centers looking for weekend teachers, however they will not provide a visa or WP.

Hi there,

There are probably many teachers who don't do a full 8 hour working day, so basically, if you are able to find an institution or company who is interested in employing you and who is prepared to sponsor the work permit, then I'm sure the actual working hours could be negotiated. There is no mention of hours on the WP itself, so not entirely a stupid question. The problem would be, of course, finding an employer who is looking for someone to work part-time. Small chance of that, but not impossible, I would guess.

smile.png

About this comment, and to all teachers, I once met a teacher who was english and teaching children at a school somewhere in thailand and he was very frustrated with the work pattern which he described as:

" 45 hour week, 16 hours teaching and the rest completing office based work"

Is this correct?

Hi there,

smile.png

About this comment, and to all teachers, I once met a teacher who was english and teaching children at a school somewhere in thailand and he was very frustrated with the work pattern which he described as:

Is this correct?

Just to clarify, you never met anyone from "england", though they may have been from England and they did not work in "thailand", you probably meant Thailand.

Is this correct?

In theory only. Most teachers with their own transportation and housing nearby just go home in between classes(for example, two or more hours, not so easy with only an hour) and on days when the students go to the temple or have other non classroom activities. It's a complete myth foreigners meet the demands of the Director's and work on extra duties during non teaching time. Thai teachers of course aren't in the same position and can in fact lose face if they are lackadaisical.