Teak Logs Available

Teak trees I planted 12 years ago are now due for thinning. There are approximately 1000 teak trees to be cut in order to partially open up the canopy and allow remaining trees to grow girth. The length of the logs vary between 4 and 6 meters, that is the usable trunk. Diameters range from 8 cm (approx. 3") to 12 cm(approx. 5"). We recently cut down a dozen trees to check the quality of wood and found only a thin layer of pulp wood, perhaps 1/8". The core wood was all good and nicely ringed, thanks to controlled irrigation during try season. The ligth clay soil drain well and is rich with sediments deposited by the river Kwai over (a long) time. Thanks to the Kao Lem dam, the land does not flood, a condition that teak trees do not appreciate.

Would anyone be interested with purchasing the logs or know someone who may. Alternatively I am considering processing the logs into planks or 2"X2", 3"X3" or any combination.

By the way the trees were registered with the forestry department (Pa Mai) and can be legally cut with associated legal paper work.

The plantation is located 25 km west of Kanchanaburi town on the river Kwai Noi.

Further enquiries are welcome.

Reminder to our new member/poster: We have a classified ads section under "Business in Thailand..." which would probably be more appropriate for offers of sale such as this. Welcome, Francis, to our forum, and hope you have success with your trees. Sorry someone got 'em before I did!

Reminder to our new member/poster: We have a classified ads section under "Business in Thailand..." which would probably be more appropriate for offers of sale such as this. Welcome, Francis, to our forum, and hope you have success with your trees. Sorry someone got 'em before I did!

Toptuan,

Your reminder is appreciated and as a matter of fact I though about this posting for quite a while for the very reason you pointed out. I hope that I have not crossed the line.

Thanks.

Hi Frances,

I have a friend that are planning to do the same thing. How much do you have to pay in "tax" etc to forestry department? Price per rai or m3?

Regards

svenivan

Hi Svenivan,

I am not quite sure I understand the question. As far as planting and growing Teak trees there are neither tax nor "tax" to be paid. There is a small offical fee to get the iron stamp that the felled trees need to be imprinted with, I think it was about 400 baht. We have not made a large cut yet so I cannot positively answer. I do suspect however that there will be a small fee for processing the paper work authorizing the transport of the Trees. Depending the day of the month, the particular moon, the mia noi mood and the rest of it an attempt to levy a "tax" would not be surprising.

I hope I have answered the question....

Cheers,

Toptuan,

Your reminder is appreciated and as a matter of fact I though about this posting for quite a while for the very reason you pointed out. I hope that I have not crossed the line.

Thanks.

your post does cross a couple of sections so I really dont see a problem and it has lead to some infornation exchange.

Teak trees I planted 12 years ago are now due for thinning. There are approximately 1000 teak trees to be cut in order to partially open up the canopy and allow remaining trees to grow girth. The length of the logs vary between 4 and 6 meters, that is the usable trunk. Diameters range from 8 cm (approx. 3") to 12 cm(approx. 5"). We recently cut down a dozen trees to check the quality of wood and found only a thin layer of pulp wood, perhaps 1/8". The core wood was all good and nicely ringed, thanks to controlled irrigation during try season. The ligth clay soil drain well and is rich with sediments deposited by the river Kwai over (a long) time. Thanks to the Kao Lem dam, the land does not flood, a condition that teak trees do not appreciate.

Would anyone be interested with purchasing the logs or know someone who may. Alternatively I am considering processing the logs into planks or 2"X2", 3"X3" or any combination.

By the way the trees were registered with the forestry department (Pa Mai) and can be legally cut with associated legal paper work.

The plantation is located 25 km west of Kanchanaburi town on the river Kwai Noi.

Hi Francis,

I've been trying to evaluate the economics of growing teak up north. If you don't mind, approximately how many trees did you plant per rai? On each rai, how many will be cut in this exercise? What kind of pricing do you expect for the average tree? Thanks...

Hi Francis,

I've been trying to evaluate the economics of growing teak up north. If you don't mind, approximately how many trees did you plant per rai? On each rai, how many will be cut in this exercise? What kind of pricing do you expect for the average tree? Thanks...

Hi Loom,

This could turn out to be rather long, which by the way is fine. I planted 700 trees per rai which is a lot more than most people do but the reasoning was a little different. Most planters in Thailand plant in rows but the space inside the 4 corners is underutilized so we planted in a triangular fashion, meaning that rigt in the middle of the square there is an additional trees. Out the the 700 trees I expect anywhere between 150 to 200 mature trees (1 foot diameter and above), the rest are to be thinned out as the canopy close. I also intend to replant as the trees are thinned out as the idea is sustainable tree farming. When it comes to mature trees I would not know the pricing at time of maturity as teak price is going up all the time !!! Also pricing vary with quality that is defined by girth, length, straighness, number of knots, bug invasion, inbark to name just a few. At the moment you are looking at anywhere between 250 and 650 US$ per cubic meter for a diameter of 30 cm (1 ft) depending on the quality. The price is going up with the girth.

Thinned out trees attract a much lower price, about 5000 Baht a metric ton.

I would not put my life saving into Teak but with a small investment, patience, a fair bit of work it is worth the while.

Feel free to shoot more questions, I really don't mind.

Cheers,

Hi Francis,

Hi Loom,

This could turn out to be rather long, which by the way is fine. I planted 700 trees per rai which is a lot more than most people do but the reasoning was a little different. Most planters in Thailand plant in rows but the space inside the 4 corners is underutilized so we planted in a triangular fashion, meaning that rigt in the middle of the square there is an additional trees. Out the the 700 trees I expect anywhere between 150 to 200 mature trees (1 foot diameter and above), the rest are to be thinned out as the canopy close. I also intend to replant as the trees are thinned out as the idea is sustainable tree farming. When it comes to mature trees I would not know the pricing at time of maturity as teak price is going up all the time !!! Also pricing vary with quality that is defined by girth, length, straighness, number of knots, bug invasion, inbark to name just a few. At the moment you are looking at anywhere between 250 and 650 US$ per cubic meter for a diameter of 30 cm (1 ft) depending on the quality. The price is going up with the girth.

I would not put my life saving into Teak but with a small investment, patience, a fair bit of work it is worth the while.

Cheers,

Thanks, That helps give me a better picture.

Based on a few of the articles I've seen, density is about 670 kilos per cubic meter. 5000 baht per ton looks low considering the price for mature wood or did you miss a decimal place?

And to reach 30cm diameter would take about 20 years with the commercial volume per tree as high as 1 cubic meter? Based on what you've said above, though, it might take as long as 30 years. That may be the difference in growing conditions, soil quality, irrigation, etc.

I've read elsewhere in this forum some concern about theft and pilferage. Have you set up fencing or other system to protect against this?

Best rgds,

Freshly cut teak logs around here will just sink....this means that their density is just over 1000 kg per cubic metre. This means that one metric tonne of freshly cut teak wood would be about one cubic metre.....I guess.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

When you say 30 cm diameter is this at the small end of a log or at the big end?

Chownah

That's breast height. 30cm is also the minimum for market value, so a log regarless of the length should have a minimum of 30 cm. The bigger the more $.

Cheers,

Since the 30cm is breast height, how small can the small end of the log be? And is the log measured in increments of half a metre (since this is the incremental length that lumber is cut)? I guess I'm asking how they scale teak logs.

Chownah

Chow, he said 30cm should be the minimum, I know he said breast height and then naturally the tree tapers off with height. But he states 30cm has to be the minimum, so if it tapers of to say 25cm, then the minimum is not met along maybe half of the log. So i think he is saying it is best to wait till the narrowest part of the cut log is 30cm..... I guess !!

Also I have read many articles basing the age of maturity at 40 to 50 years, so not a short term option and if your 60yo now, not an option at all really !!

Nawtilus,

Breast height measurement is a professional forestry measurement that is used for alot of timber and especially for trees that swell alot at the butt like cedar or in this case teak. If you look at many teak trees you will see that the difference between the diameter at ground level and at breast height (I forget exactly how high from the ground is officially breast height) will be considerable. To use the ground level measurement would not be appropriate because since the tree tapers so fast the extra girth at the bottom is mostly not useable...also many times the butt of a teak tree is not round in cross section but sort of lobed.....at any rate in forestry practice for some types of trees taking a measurement at breast height is a more reliable method for measureing how much wood is in a tree than taking a ground level measurement.l I think maybe he was saying that 30 cm is the minimum breast height diameter but I'm not sure. I'm hoping he comes on and clarifies.

Chownah

Nawtilus,

Breast height measurement is a professional forestry measurement that is used for alot of timber and especially for trees that swell alot at the butt like cedar or in this case teak. If you look at many teak trees you will see that the difference between the diameter at ground level and at breast height (I forget exactly how high from the ground is officially breast height) will be considerable. To use the ground level measurement would not be appropriate because since the tree tapers so fast the extra girth at the bottom is mostly not useable...also many times the butt of a teak tree is not round in cross section but sort of lobed.....at any rate in forestry practice for some types of trees taking a measurement at breast height is a more reliable method for measureing how much wood is in a tree than taking a ground level measurement.l I think maybe he was saying that 30 cm is the minimum breast height diameter but I'm not sure. I'm hoping he comes on and clarifies.

Chownah

The correct term is "Diameter at Breast Height" (DBH). The distance of Breast Height from the ground differs between USA and Europe. Here in Laos I use 137cm from the ground to measure DBH of agarwood trees (that's the USA way - in Europe it would 130cm). I am sure the teak tree seller did mean that the trees should be minimum 30cm DBH because DBH is a common way to refer to the size of standing trees.

Hi Francis,

Hi Loom,

Cheers,

Thanks, That helps give me a better picture.

Based on a few of the articles I've seen, density is about 670 kilos per cubic meter. 5000 baht per ton looks low considering the price for mature wood or did you miss a decimal place?

And to reach 30cm diameter would take about 20 years with the commercial volume per tree as high as 1 cubic meter? Based on what you've said above, though, it might take as long as 30 years. That may be the difference in growing conditions, soil quality, irrigation, etc.

I've read elsewhere in this forum some concern about theft and pilferage. Have you set up fencing or other system to protect against this?

Best rgds,

Loom,

You certainly did your homework. You are correct about the density, although it varies a bit depending on country of origin, don't ask me why, I haven't got a clue on that one. But this is for dried wood !!!! And one could argue how dry.

The trees available are green so with a fair bit of water and a density closer to 1.

Now for diameter, I have few 12 years old right on schedule to get to 30cm in another 3 years, I would have had a few more If I hadn't been a little slow with the thinning !!!

Unless I missed your point, a tree does not have to be a full M3 to be commercial, it simply has be 30 cm in diameter to get into the international and Thai market.

Yes theft is always a concern in LOS, I have a full time land keeper who knows full well where his livehood is coming from. I you ever tried to fell a tree in the middle of the night and try to drag it a couple hundred yard in a dense forest, your truck and chainsaw is likely to wake up the neighbors.

Cheers,

Francis Maube,

I'm wondering how small a log can be at the small end. You seem to be indicating that it needs to be 30 cm at breast height for a tree to be considered to be mature and I'm pretty sure that this would be near the big end of the log. How small can it be at the small end of the log?

Also, you say that the thinnings you have for sale range from 8cm to 12cm in diameter and I'm assuming that this is either breast height.....how small are they at the small end?....or have I misinterpreted what you posted and each log is 8cm at the small end and 12cm at the big end?

Chownah

Very interesting thread. I've planted bi-culture of agarwood and teak, 400 trees per rai, in Prachin Buri province and also in Kalasin. The agarwood should appreciate the teak canopy as they mature (so I'm told). Plan is to harvest agarwood after 8 years and teak after 20.

Trees have been planted now for abour 6 months. The best of the teak has grown around 1.5 metres in that time (seedlings not more than 30cm at planting), some hardly at all with the average (i guess) at about 60 cm. Agarwood seems to be taking longer to grow with not much height increase but trunk diameter doubling (about 1m and 3-4cm diameter at planting).

Had a lot of rain at Prachin Buri just after planting and lost about 25% of the teak due to saturated soil. These are now being replaced as there is now well water available to go through the dry season. Agarwood survived the excess water more successfully with a loss of less than 10%.

The plantations are a bit of a "hobby farm" and a retirement plan. They're not managed except for cutting the grass and some watering if there's been no rain for 2 weeks. Buffalo manure is added around the tree base twice a year. I'll get more serious about care if they appear to be struggling. Seem ok so far using what nature provides them.

Happy to discuss further and make contact with other growers in Thailand.

Francis Maube,

I'm wondering how small a log can be at the small end. You seem to be indicating that it needs to be 30 cm at breast height for a tree to be considered to be mature and I'm pretty sure that this would be near the big end of the log. How small can it be at the small end of the log?

Also, you say that the thinnings you have for sale range from 8cm to 12cm in diameter and I'm assuming that this is either breast height.....how small are they at the small end?....or have I misinterpreted what you posted and each log is 8cm at the small end and 12cm at the big end?

Chownah

On a 30cm (DBH) log of, say 5 meters the small end would be around 25 cm. This is another factor that define pricing. The log diameter is a factor, the length another one. For example a DBH of 40 cm would command a price for a length of, say 2 meters, the subsequent section might be only 35 cm for another 2 meters and would command a lower price, if you are lucky to get another 2 meters of, say 30 cm, that would be yet a lower price. Don't quote me on the numbers, they are example.

OK the 8 to 12 cm be confusing, what I meant was some trees are DBH 8 cm, some 8.5, other 9, etc till about 12cm. A 12 cm DBH is probably about 10 cm 5 to 6 meters higher, I did not climb up though !!! Thinking about it I could have when I was a bit younger ( and lighter).

Cheers,

Very interesting thread. I've planted bi-culture of agarwood and teak, 400 trees per rai, in Prachin Buri province and also in Kalasin. The agarwood should appreciate the teak canopy as they mature (so I'm told). Plan is to harvest agarwood after 8 years and teak after 20.

Trees have been planted now for abour 6 months. The best of the teak has grown around 1.5 metres in that time (seedlings not more than 30cm at planting), some hardly at all with the average (i guess) at about 60 cm. Agarwood seems to be taking longer to grow with not much height increase but trunk diameter doubling (about 1m and 3-4cm diameter at planting).

Had a lot of rain at Prachin Buri just after planting and lost about 25% of the teak due to saturated soil. These are now being replaced as there is now well water available to go through the dry season. Agarwood survived the excess water more successfully with a loss of less than 10%.

The plantations are a bit of a "hobby farm" and a retirement plan. They're not managed except for cutting the grass and some watering if there's been no rain for 2 weeks. Buffalo manure is added around the tree base twice a year. I'll get more serious about care if they appear to be struggling. Seem ok so far using what nature provides them.

Would you know what is the Thai name for Agarwood?

By the way this is a great hobby. Have you had problems with crawling vines yet (the parasitic kind that wrap themselves around the trunk, choke the trees and steal the light from the canopy)?

Cheers,

Interesting that agarwood seems to be more scarce than teak. Also appears that the regulation of agarwood is much more serious than it is for teak.

We've been to our local forestry dept. nursery to see what kind of seedlings are available. Is that where you got the agarwood seeds/seedlings? I've lived in cities my whole life, so if growing something is a lot more complicated than digging a hole and planting a seedling it's probably over my head (and this is why teak has its appeal). I've been thinking for a while that there must be something other than rice, soybeans, mango, banana, sugar cane, longan......trees are looking better and better as a relatively low maintanance alternative. Thanks,

So as it says that Agarwood is hit and miss as to which trees have it, so if you plant out 5 rai or whatever, how do you know you are not sitting on empty trees ?

I read they have found a way to introduce it, has anyone experience with this yet ?

Yes, there is a very good way to induce the formation of resin in all agarwood trees of adequate age (usually 5 years plus). It is the only patented technique and is now available in Thailand from Touchwood:

Khun Amorn, Inoculation Division Manager

email: [email protected]

Touchwood Forestry Co., Ltd., 4fl Vanissa Building, 29 Soi Chit Lom, Lumpini, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330. Thailand

(+66 2 655-0055)

www.touchwood.co.th

The technique was developed in Vietnam by the University of Minnesota and The RainForest Project. See www.cultivatedgarwood.com and also check their links to the University of Minnesota.

I can assure you the technique is good. (There are many cowboys who are selling snake oil - and so unfortunately many people now doubt that any technique is good). FYI, I am the distributor for Laos but I have no vested interest in selling CA Kits in Thailand.

The CA Kit technology costs less and produces more resin in less time than other techniques. The product of other techniques is only good for oil extraction whereas the above technique (CA Kit) can produce agarwood chips that are worth much more than wood for oil extraction. See: www.scentedmountain.com

I would be happy to answer your questions but it will be Touchwood who benefits not me, so please contact Touchwood! :o However, if you have agarwood trees in Laos, then please do contact me! :D

So as it says that Agarwood is hit and miss as to which trees have it, so if you plant out 5 rai or whatever, how do you know you are not sitting on empty trees ?

I read they have found a way to introduce it, has anyone experience with this yet ?

Yes, there is a very good way to induce the formation of resin in all agarwood trees of adequate age (usually 5 years plus). It is the only patented technique and is now available in Thailand from Touchwood:

Khun Amorn, Inoculation Division Manager

email: [email protected]

Touchwood Forestry Co., Ltd., 4fl Vanissa Building, 29 Soi Chit Lom, Lumpini, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330. Thailand

(+66 2 655-0055)

www.touchwood.co.th

The technique was developed in Vietnam by the University of Minnesota and The RainForest Project. See www.cultivatedgarwood.com and also check their links to the University of Minnesota.

I can assure you the technique is good. (There are many cowboys who are selling snake oil - and so unfortunately many people now doubt that any technique is good). FYI, I am the distributor for Laos but I have no vested interest in selling CA Kits in Thailand.

The CA Kit technology costs less and produces more resin in less time than other techniques. The product of other techniques is only good for oil extraction whereas the above technique (CA Kit) can produce agarwood chips that are worth much more than wood for oil extraction. See: www.scentedmountain.com

I would be happy to answer your questions but it will be Touchwood who benefits not me, so please contact Touchwood! :o However, if you have agarwood trees in Laos, then please do contact me! :D

How much is the stuff, or what does the cost work out per tree ?

How long does it take to produce, how long after the 5 years do you cut the tree and harvest it ?

I think I read your website about this, it mentioned the rainforest project anyhow.

What is the difference between the 2 tree types mentioned as being best or only types to use.

Edited by Nawtilus