Do international schools pay much more than language schools?

I spent a couple of years in bkk with a big language school. The pay was relatively good (70k/month).

I'm now back in the UK soon starting a pgce. And Really missing Thailand - England is so depressing!

I was wondering if I returned after my pgce with QTS, could I expect better pay than as an efl teacher? The adverts I have seen... the pay is about the same, which seems like a waste of changing my career.

I'm sure other people have also gone from esl to regular teaching, any experiences?

Any "international" school paying 70k baht/month is most likely just a for-profit sweatshop with no accreditation or curriculum, run by a local businessman. At a real international school you could clear 200k a month if you include the housing and flight allowances. These types of schools won't hire locally, and with zero post-QTS experience even getting an interview would be extremely tough.

Big and reputable international schools do hire locally but chances are very slim, you need to have the correct qualifications - basic requirement is a degree with education background / or degree related to the field that you wish to teach + teaching experience at a reputable schools - not language schools. A certificate completed within a year to add to your resume just won't cut it. Most local hires are on one year contracts. Your chances of landing an interview greatly increases if you are a graduate of that school or other reputable international schools, and if you can get a recommendation from teachers in the school to land you an interview.

Starting salary is easily 200k with all the benefits such as housing, round trip air ticket, etc. Other benefits is that the pay is greatly increase during summer schools, its easy money for half day of work, something along 200-300k.

I do know that part-time substitue teachers make pretty damn good money as well, have a friend who makes 30k on the side for doing just couple hours of work per week. Believe it or not, part time substitue teacher are a very competitive position as well due to the high pay and minium work required - you don't need to teach, just hand out some course work / watch a video, whatever the teacher wants you to do other than teach. Favorism is at play here with the school officials, they tend to call up on people they like / prefer more often.

This is an oft asked question...the answer is "it depends".

Thai International schools salaries vary; the better ones pay comparably to true international schools such as ISB the highest paying and probably the best international school although the Brits would argue with that claim; it certainly is the most comprehensive and best paying. Some Thai "int schools" are not really international and so look for their WSAC accreditation. are they current. Ex. ASB has been accredited but may or may not be today...their salaries have ranged from 30-100K...and can change...

Salaries of all can range between 30,000 - 120,000 for comparable qualifications. It is best to be certified to receive highest pay and with several years experience.

So do your research...

http://www.thailandguru.com/international-schools-bangkok.html

You won't find the real International schools advertising on here or other Thai based web sites. They go to job fairs worldwide and pay real money. As was mentioned, it's often a network of referrals and Thailand is a very popular location so needless to say, no shortage of truly qualified teachers. There should be no comparison to this and so called "language schools" or as was also mentioned, a business modal including the words "International School".

Im at a language school now on about 50k. I am doing my educarion degree from a reputable overseas uni in the hope of getting a high paying job when im finished. A 70k job at an international school is apparently not difficult to get with the ed degree. I dont want to be teaching esl for the rest of my life!

I was making 120K baht at Ruamrudee International School when I left in 2001 because I couldn't stand getting up in the morning for such a pittance after having worked at a much higher paying international school elsewhere in Asia.

At the time it was, in my opinion, the 4th highest paying international school in Thailand after ISB, Pattana, and NIST.

If you are a certified teacher and go to the international recruiting fairs and are open minded and mobile, you can have great adventures and make great money.

Oh I see. Yes I was just looking on school websites and local listings, and I was surprised the pay would be so low for qualified teachers. It seems I was looking in the wrong places.

So it sounds like post PGCE experience in the UK would really be essential. At least one year post QTS? That's a pity because I dont want to be negative about my home country, but I can't wait to leave again. After 8 years out of England it feels very alien.

The pay could be more, but competition for the best jobs can be fierce. How were you managing 70K a month in a language school? How man teaching hours a week?

I dont really want to post the exact place I worked. But there are a few language schools paying that much, the big foreign-run schools, as long as you have prior experience. And as the guy above said, IELTS related work is lucrative.

I'm working in a mid - tier international school at the moment. Our school does hire locally, but mainly through job fairs. Salary starts around 110k/m (including housing allowance). I don't think they have a strict policy when it comes to experience, but none of my colleagues have less than 2 years of teaching experience.