Work Permit

I just quit my current position in a company and returned the WP to the HR as they have requested.

I know that i have 7 days in the country once the company cancel my WP, question is - do i need to go to the immigration to report my WP cancelation or i could just do a border run, in which will cancel my extention automatically?

Thanks

Explorer

Out of curiosity, what kind of visa did you have? And why didn't the company take you to immigration to cancell your visa?

I don't think you can cancell it yourself without it. You need to find out when your company is cancelling it I would think.

Now if say you did a border run, within your 7 day time window, would they give you a visa? or would they make you wait the 7 days for the first one to have expired?

Edited by LaReina

I just quit my current position in a company and returned the WP to the HR as they have requested.

I know that i have 7 days in the country once the company cancel my WP, question is - do i need to go to the immigration to report my WP cancelation or i could just do a border run, in which will cancel my extention automatically?

Thanks

Explorer

Just do a border run as Immigration already knows you have seven days to leave Thailand or apply for another visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks

Explorer

Just do a border run as Immigration already knows you have seven days to leave Thailand or apply for another visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks Sunbelt

Explorer

Sunbelt you are the experts but doesn't he have to get a Thai

document ( i cannot remember the name of it but it is something

10 ) which he has to give to the immigration officers before they

will agree to cancel his visa ?

I went through all this and when I went to immigration

they insisted I came back with this document before they

would agree to cancel mine ?

Sunbelt you are the experts but doesn't he have to get a Thai

document ( i cannot remember the name of it but it is something

10 ) which he has to give to the immigration officers before they

will agree to cancel his visa ?

The visa is cxl when the employer notifies the Labor Dept or the work permit is turned in.

Once the contract has been terminated, the licensee must notify the Department of Employment, and return the work permit within 7 days from the date of termination otherwise they have a penalty of 1,000 Baht. The employer must notify the Department of Employment within 15 days from the date of termination or they will be fined 1,000 Baht.

I went through all this and when I went to immigration

they insisted I came back with this document before they

would agree to cancel mine ?

If you are getting a new visa, Immigration will want to see the receipt from returning the work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt and all, I'd like your opinion about :

let's say I have the WP >

and loose the job, >

loose the WP obviusly too>

no new job possibilities at the present moment>

my visa is/was 1 year Extend non Imm B >

now in 7 days time frame >forced to go out > and back in the country

my question

when back to Thai which kind of Visa I shoud expect ?

Is my 1 year Visa somhow still is valid till the original expiration date or

they will give me a new visa ? which one ? Tourist Visa ?

Also :

in case after you back, you find a new job, we must start

all from the beginning again? Apply for a new B Visa... new Wp...

in-out out-in of the country ??

Tks

I just had my work permit cancelled today and they cancelled my visa at the same time.

The woman handling my visa asked me if I was returning to europe and I said no.

She then asked if I had my tickets, and I asked why, and she replied, you have until the 10th to leave the country.

So, maybe the 7 day extension depends on the immigration officer, but I have until this friday, the 10th of november stamped in my passport.

I told her I thought I would have until next week. At least 7 more days, and she responded, "if you need to stay longer, then go to the main immigration office and apply for a 14 day stay".

Edited by Ulysses

I just had my work permit cancelled today and they cancelled my visa at the same time.

The woman handling my visa asked me if I was returning to europe and I said no.

She then asked if I had my tickets, and I asked why, and she replied, you have until the 10th to leave the country.

So, maybe the 7 day extension depends on the immigration officer, but I have until this friday, the 10th of november stamped in my passport.

I told her I thought I would have until next week. At least 7 more days, and she responded, "if you need to stay longer, then go to the main immigration office and apply for a 14 day stay".

This is not too nice... right Ulysses ?

How is possible that a person who loose the job,(maybe after years) must leave in such short time ? At least, I think you can go out after your WP is cancelled (even the visa is cancelled ?? I'm ignorant but...) and come back in the Kingdom as Tourist for 30 days plus possible extension (max 90).

If you have no time how you can close all your pending issues for example house lease contract ?

Can somebody help about ? Tks

when back to Thai which kind of Visa I shoud expect ?

30 day Tourist Visa Exemption ( if you are from 41 countries) unless you have gone to a Embassy/Consulate

Is my 1 year Visa somhow still is valid till the original expiration date or

they will give me a new visa ?

The visa is no longer valid

Also :

in case after you back, you find a new job, we must start

all from the beginning again? Apply for a new B Visa... new Wp...

in-out out-in of the country ??

Yes new wp and visa. As for going back to the Embassy, depends on how long the company has been established and how big the employer is ( must meet the criteria to apply for the extension of stay based on business) otherwise you will need to go out and get a non immigrant visa, if you don't have one.

Could of been the employer notified them on Oct 26th, which with 15 days would make Nov 10th.

"

if you need to stay longer, then go to the main immigration office and apply for a 14 day stay".

This sure doesn't sound like it is possible and never heard of it before. More like she was trying to get rid of you. Be very surprised if you get a 14 day extension.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt Asia!

What if I have a ONE YEAR MULTIPLE ENTRY TYPE B NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, still valit for 10 months. And then, I leave my current job and my current work permit is therefore cancelled. Is my ONE YEAR MULTIPLE ENTRY TYPE B VISA still valid?

Lop is correct. The answer is yes, it still is valid.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 3 weeks later...

Sunbelt Asia!

What if I have a ONE YEAR MULTIPLE ENTRY TYPE B NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, still valit for 10 months. And then, I leave my current job and my current work permit is therefore cancelled. Is my ONE YEAR MULTIPLE ENTRY TYPE B VISA still valid?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I have the same situation, having a 1-year Multiple Entry Type B Non-imm Visa and work permit both valid for another 7 months. However, I am thinking of changing jobs as I have been offered a better one.

I have a few concerns..

If you said above that 1-year Multiple Entry Type B Non-imm Visa is still valid after I leave the company, is there any way the new company can coordinate with my current company in changing my work permit?

Or do I have to go through the whole process of getting a WP and how long does that take?

Sunbelt Asia!

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I have the same situation, having a 1-year Multiple Entry Type B Non-imm Visa and work permit both valid for another 7 months. However, I am thinking of changing jobs as I have been offered a better one.

I have a few concerns..

If you said above that 1-year Multiple Entry Type B Non-imm Visa is still valid after I leave the company, is there any way the new company can coordinate with my current company in changing my work permit?

Or do I have to go through the whole process of getting a WP and how long does that take?

If you are getting a work permit for the second company. It is a new application for the second company as a employee. It is not a simple transfer of your work permit to another company.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up Q from my previous post.. I will resign and turn in my WP some time next week.

With my 1 year- Multiple B Visa, can I stay in Bkk and wait till my new work permit is done (new company)? Or do I have to leave the country?

Also, are any other documents or payments needed in cancelling WP?

Sorry just need to clear this... Answers will be really appreciated. :o

Just a follow up Q from my previous post.. I will resign and turn in my WP some time next week.

With my 1 year- Multiple B Visa, can I stay in Bkk and wait till my new work permit is done (new company)? Or do I have to leave the country?

You can stay till your 90 day visa stamp expires. Cross the border and get a fresh 90 days as long as your one year visa is still valid. This has nothing to do with your work permit.
Also, are any other documents or payments needed in cancelling WP?

The company does the filing. You just take your work permit to the Labor Dept. Be sure to get the receipt.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I had a WP which I didn't return to the Labour Office. I had just got a new visa for 1 year. Many people told me I had 7 days to leave the country - <deleted>. The Minisry of Labour don't communicate with the Immigration.

When I got a new job, I had to go to the police station and pay 1,500 baht fine for not handing it in.

Once that visa is in your passport, NOONE can change it, I think.

I had a WP which I didn't return to the Labour Office. I had just got a new visa for 1 year. Many people told me I had 7 days to leave the country - <deleted>. The Minisry of Labour don't communicate with the Immigration.
The Labor Dept does communicate with Immigration. It is enter into the computer when you turn in your work permit or your old company had notified them.
When I got a new job, I had to go to the police station and pay 1,500 baht fine for not handing it in.

In your case, you never notified the Labor Dept when you were no longer working and I surmise, neither did the company notified them. If they did, you would have had to pay a overstay fine of 500 Baht a day ( max 20,000 Baht ).

As a result you did not have the 7 day flag in the computer to leave Thailand as the company never informed the government.

You certainly didn't inform them as you stated" I had to go to the police station and pay 1,500 baht fine for not handing it in."

Once that visa is in your passport, NOONE can change it, I think.

They do change it. It’s the law on the 7 days to leave or obtain another visa. Of course if Immigration or the Labor Dept doesn’t know at the time, (neither you or the company informed them) then they have no way to enforce it.

How they found out later is when you applied for the work permit, in their computer they still show you still working. They need a letter from the first employer that’s its ok for you to work for the second company or perhaps you were asked for withholding tax filings, which you were not able to produce as you were no longer working.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com