Mozilla Hassles

bkkmadness

Sting, I don't mean I want my starter page to be set at a certain website, I mean I have two Mozilla Browser settings on my computer.

One is in my name and is personalised, with all the bookmarks in it that I have made over the months.

And the other is just a plain google page with no bookmarks at all, the standard browser page you get when you first download it.

Sometimes the computer seems to forget this and gives me a choice as to what I want set at 'default' so I choose my name and my browser comes up as I want it for a while. Then it goes again and resets back to the old browser and I lose my bookmarks until one day the box just appears again and I can set it properly.

Its an old crappy computer and has a bit of a mind of its own. :o

How do I get that box up so I can set the default as my name again?

Sting, I don't mean I want my starter page to be set at a certain website, I mean I have two Mozilla Browser settings on my computer.

One is in my name and is personalised, with all the bookmarks in it that I have made over the months.

And the other is just a plain google page with no bookmarks at all, the standard browser page you get when you first download it.

Sometimes the computer seems to forget this and gives me a choice as to what I want set at 'default' so I choose my name and my browser comes up as I want it for a while. Then it goes again and resets back to the old browser and I lose my bookmarks until one day the box just appears again and I can set it properly.

Well, please browse back andread what you wrote, then assuming I am not a native speaker, nor I intimatly know you or your computer, you will easily understand that I asnwered the most accuratly I could to a very general and badly formulated question :D

In the case of the very precise and rightly formalated question, I am affraid to be totaly useless. I use Mozilla (FF or Opera) only to test the cross browser compatibility of the javascript I create, or if the design still is the one asked to me (IE, FF and Opera have 3 different rendering engines, so a wrong style="position: " will render okie in IE (because a bug) but will be ugly in FF.

Appart that I do not use FF

1) buy a new computer

It would seem to me when a case arises that you are prompted to choose which profile you want to use at startup, that this would indicate that you already have Mozilla running. There might not be a window that is visible, but I bet if you check your task manager that you would see something there.

Btw, after updating to a newer version of Mozilla, I believe it always displays the Mozilla-default page first. If you click on the "Home" icon of the browser, it should take you to your preferred startup page.

You can force firefox to use a specific profile by using command line parameters.

P "<profile name>" e.g firefox.exe -P "Joel User"

or

profile "<path>" e.g firefox.exe -profile "E:\myprofile"

Modify your shortcut to use these.

or if you want the profile manager to popup everytime you can use

firefox.exe -ProfileManager

Just for reference....

Complete list of command line arguements

Edited by Indifferent