Premium (or plain) economy class out, business class back.

triffid

I want to travel in August or September from Bkk to either London or Paris in premium economy and return a couple of months later in business (or premium economy if offered with very generous checked luggage allowance). Can anyone point me to airlines which allow and offer the best deals for such mixing of class of travel? Or a site which will be best to browse online for this sort of thing?

All the airline websites I use allow me to choose the class for each sector, but online booking agencies often seem more restrictive. Search engines usually only let you search for one class for all sectors.

Reading between the lines it seems that the OP is above all looking for increased baggage allowance (I know the feeling: every year I go with two completely empty cases and return with 50+kg, being my business class allowance and my FF extra allowance). If so it would be worth looking at the prices charged by airlines for one extra suitcase: some of them are surprisingly cheap when booked in advance and surely cheaper than paying the surcharge for business class.

Another option might be to look at companies that auction their unsold business class seats a few days before travel, though of course this runs the risk of not getting what you want. You would need to check that the discounted fare gets you the full baggage allowance, of course, but this is always explained in the fare rules.

Business Class always, more comfortable, you have a bed, and feel fresher when you arrive.

Premium is not much different from regular...

Worth the money I think... Both ways...

Depends on your budget/priorities. I sometimes fly LHR-BKK on EVA, business out on the night leg, PE return. PE is sufficiently better to be worth it.

Yes, I too go with little and come back with lots of stuff I've bought.

The better food and attention in business isn't worth that much to me. What I appreciate is the space and comfort of the seat and the bed if it's a night flight.

I'm surprised to nots the comment about the premium seat being not much better than the ordinary economy.

Ideal for me would be to find a premium economy out on a day flight - assuming the seat gives me noticeably more comfort and legroom than normal economy. And a business high weight allowance back. On balance I'd rather a long plus short sector for the return rather than the halfway changes on the middle east airlines.

If someone knows an airline with daytime flight out and night or daytime back that would be first online site I would look in.

All the airline websites I use allow me to choose the class for each sector, but online booking agencies often seem more restrictive. Search engines usually only let you search for one class for all sectors.

Reading between the lines it seems that the OP is above all looking for increased baggage allowance (I know the feeling: every year I go with two completely empty cases and return with 50+kg, being my business class allowance and my FF extra allowance). If so it would be worth looking at the prices charged by airlines for one extra suitcase: some of them are surprisingly cheap when booked in advance and surely cheaper than paying the surcharge for business class.

Another option might be to look at companies that auction their unsold business class seats a few days before travel, though of course this runs the risk of not getting what you want. You would need to check that the discounted fare gets you the full baggage allowance, of course, but this is always explained in the fare rules.

I will have flexibility with dates if there is that last minute auction possibility. Don't know anything about this. Are there particular airlines I should keep an eye on for this? If in the end nothing comes up would I lose anything by having missed the chance to get early, i.e. months ahead, booking deals?

I will have flexibility with dates if there is that last minute auction possibility. Don't know anything about this. Are there particular airlines I should keep an eye on for this? If in the end nothing comes up would I lose anything by having missed the chance to get early, i.e. months ahead, booking deals?

The auction is for business class seats which are offered to people holding an economy ticket to bid on as an upgrade, usually about 2-3 days before the flight. It doesnt involve changing your dates. The offer usually includes guidelines on how much you will probably need to bid.

Quite a lot of airlines seem to do it now but there is no guarantee at all of any such auction being made on any particular flight. It's pot luck depending on how full the flight is. Whilst you do get a business class seat you dont always seem to get all the business class extras like better food, drinks, chauffeured limo, fast-track passes, bonus miles etc. Depends on the airline. You would need to check carefully that you would get the business class luggage allowance too.

Etihad has an offer to bid for a price for a business class upgrade. They quite aggressively advertise it, too.

However the bid is not guaranteed.

Don't know if you're aware of this but Emirates has a 30kg baggage allowance in economy class too.

The auction is for business class seats which are offered to people holding an economy ticket to bid on as an upgrade, usually about 2-3 days before the flight. It doesnt involve changing your dates. The offer usually includes guidelines on how much you will probably need to bid.

Quite a lot of airlines seem to do it now but there is no guarantee at all of any such auction being made on any particular flight. It's pot luck depending on how full the flight is. Whilst you do get a business class seat you dont always seem to get all the business class extras like better food, drinks, chauffeured limo, fast-track passes, bonus miles etc. Depends on the airline. You would need to check carefully that you would get the business class luggage allowance too.

Thanks for the info. The system as you describe it wouldn't suit me because if I didn't win such an auction or if it wasn't even offered I be stuck with the economy flight and overweight on luggage.

But I'll ask around the airlines for their practice and rules.

Etihad has an offer to bid for a price for a business class upgrade. They quite aggressively advertise it, too.

However the bid is not guaranteed.

Don't know if you're aware of this but Emirates has a 30kg baggage allowance in economy class too.

Actually I can get 30kg on Etihad and Qatar too because I have their card.

About the bidding on Etihad please see my comments above in reply to another post.

Does Emirates have the possibility and decent savings to combine economy out and business back - vs business return tkt? Does it have premium economy. (I wouldn't mind a Dubai stop-over to catch up with people I know there.)

Thanks for the info. The system as you describe it wouldn't suit me because if I didn't win such an auction or if it wasn't even offered I be stuck with the economy flight and overweight on luggage.

But I'll ask around the airlines for their practice and rules.

Check the cost of a pre-paid extra bag. This would be a good alternative if your business class bid fails.

Some airlines are very cheap for an extra bag.

In case this turns out the best option for me financially, so that I get a premium economy return ticket, does anyone have a view on which airline has the best such seats? Best for me means comfort and legroom and weight allowance - assuming I'll buy the supplementary weight - it has nothing to do with food, entertainment and general pampering.

Frankly Id be surprised if airlines do offer reasonable rates on extra weight; I've been shocked twice when I was forced to pay for additional weight. Of course their rates may be very different if the weight is bought in advance.

In case this turns out the best option for me financially, so that I get a premium economy return ticket, does anyone have a view on which airline has the best such seats? Best for me means comfort and legroom and weight allowance - assuming I'll buy the supplementary weight - it has nothing to do with food, entertainment and general pampering.

Frankly Id be surprised if airlines do offer reasonable rates on extra weight; I've been shocked twice when I was forced to pay for additional weight. Of course their rates may be very different if the weight is bought in advance.

EVA

what ever you do, do not fly virgin in their PE. massive seats but almost identical pitch to standard economy pins you into your spot if your front person decides to lay down.

i fly thai business always. alternately fly budget (i.e.air berlin, ryan, eurowings) and pay extra for your overweight luggage. still heaps cheaper.

I checked it out myself last year. Example: BA is GBP60 for the first extra bag in economy. And it's only GBP5 more if you dont pre-book.

Given that the price premium for flying business (round trip) with BA would be around GBP1300, that price for one extra case is quite attractive. You still get the direct flight either way.

EVA but they will also sell you PE out and Business back

Sounds good. I'll check on their specifics. (I do wish they'd get their website up-to-speed, it's even worse than Thai Airways.)

Does EVA have the upgrade bidding system - online. If so, how long in advance. I can try to check with them, asking here in case you know already from experience.

I checked it out myself last year. Example: BA is GBP60 for the first extra bag in economy. And it's only GBP5 more if you dont pre-book.

Given that the price premium for flying business (round trip) with BA would be around GBP1300, that price for one extra case is quite attractive. You still get the direct flight either way.

My horrendous rates were onParis-Bangkok Thai Airways & SriLankan business class. You refer to 'per bag' - isn't there a max weight for the extra bag?

I'll check BA to see if they'll also combine premium out with business back.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds good. I'll check on their specifics. (I do wish they'd get their website up-to-speed, it's even worse than Thai Airways.)

Does EVA have the upgrade bidding system - online. If so, how long in advance. I can try to check with them, asking here in case you know already from experience.

I don't believe EVA do have a bidding system, also if you look at the Thai airways website for London they list how much to upgrade at the airport but obviously only if seats are available.

You refer to 'per bag' - isn't there a max weight for the extra bag?

I'll check BA to see if they'll also combine premium out with business back.

Thanks for the info.

I think that the normal BA maximum bag weight is 23kg. There are probably specific rules for each airline.

Finnair business is always reasonably priced and you get an allowance of a couple of bags.

Just flown Finnair business class, 3 bags allowed ,

Yep, you're right. Were you on the A350 ?

Yeh, the reverse herringbone seats. the overall experience was ok , the lounge at Helsinki a bit overcrowded, but thats down to all the asian flights leaving at the same time

Ideal for me would be to find a premium economy out on a day flight - assuming the seat gives me noticeably more comfort and legroom than normal economy. And a business high weight allowance back.

I'll second what the majority have already stated, EVA. TG obviously don't do PE, anyway.

For direct flights you're left with either EVA and BA. Personally, I've never flown direct to LOS with BA so can't comment on their product.

PE on EVA provides a comfortable seat with generous pitch. My only caveat with EVA PE is that the menu is the same as economy, so don't expect it to be superior by any means. But, overall, I've no complaints with EVA PE.

We've just flown EVA in Royal Laurel for the first time and it comes highly recommended from my wife and I, and all at a very competitive fare. Unless you're bringing a dead body back in your luggage, the business luggage allowance is none too shabby either. In fact, we can't wait to do with the return leg.

Archived