Recommended Travel Health Insurance Companies

I am not sure if i have seen this topic come up often on this thread or not, if this subject has come up before someone please post the link. I am trying to find out what companies are recommended for buying travel health insurance while visiting another foreign country that will cover me during my trip

I've seen names like AIG, Cigna, AXA, are they any good or not?

Also I would like to know if any of you have actually had to use any of these companies while overseas, did they actually cover you when you were sick or hospitalized. or did you have to pay everything up front then the insurance company reimburse you

Look forward to your responses

Whichever one you choose, make sure they cover nurse practitioners. During the holidays in the US, I went to the local hospital to get some meds for an ear infection. I assumed the guy who prescribed the medicine etc. was a Dr., only to find out he was an NP, and my travel insurance carrier (Pacific) stuck me with a USD 1200 bill.

Apparently, several hospitals, for non life threatening issues, have you see an NP, with the Dr. also charging a smaller fee when they review what the NP has prescribed. This happened in Florida at a large hospital.

Worldnomads are just brokers. I just got a very good policy for 2 months of travel, some 2MM in coverage, emergency evacuation, 5k/day coverage, etc. For $233.

I've compared it with others and they are competitive. You can get much cheaper policies, but look at the details. Typically, the coverage amounts are much less. This one covers trip cancellation, lost luggage, dental, chiropractor, etc.

Edit: it's with Bupa.

Edited by craigt3365