Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Terry & Cole face injury lay-offs

Chelsea captain John Terry has been ruled out of action for up to three weeks after the club confirmed he underwent surgery on his injured knee.

Chelsea have also confirmed full-back Ashley Cole will be out for around four weeks after injuring his ankle while on England duty last weekend.

Both players missed Wednesday's 2-1 Euro 2008 qualifying defeat to Russia.

Boss Avram Grant said: "John's had an operation and Ashley is also injured and likely to be out for four weeks."

Terry missed last week's 3-0 win over Estonia with the injury and then aggravated the problem in training, forcing him to sit out the defeat to Russia which hit England's hopes of qualifying for next year's European Championships.

He had only just returned from a broken cheekbone, but will now miss the Premier League games against Middlesbrough, Manchester City and Wigan, as well as the Champions League showdown with Schalke.

Grant added: "John had a problem and tried his best to be available for the national team but in the last moment of the training, he got injured again.

"He has had an operation and will be out for two or three weeks."

It is the worst possible preparation ahead of Saturday's visit to Boro, but the Israeli is confident he has a big enough squad to cope.

Either Tal Ben Haim or Alex will deputise for England skipper Terry and Grant said: "We have a big squad and we need to handle this situation."

Middlesbrough v Chelsea

Riverside stadium

Saturday, 20 October

Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Score and Final Score.

Middlesbrough's Egyptian striker Mido could return after missing the last three games with a groin strain.

Jeremie Aliadiere (hamstring), Robert Huth (ankle) and Matthew Bates (knee) are all still out.

Chelsea welcome back Didier Drogba and Mikel John Obi after suspension, but Wayne Bridge serves the second match of a three-game ban.

Blues defenders Ashley Cole (ankle) and captain John Terry (knee) are both definitely out of the match.

Middlesbrough (from): Schwarzer, Young, Taylor, Wheater, Woodgate, Boateng, Rochemback, O'Neil, Downing, Tuncay, Mido, Lee, Craddock, Jones, Steele, Davies, Riggott, Hines, Owens, Cattermole.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim, Obi, Lampard, Essien, Kalou, Shevchenko, Sidwell, J Cole, Malouda, Drogba, Pizarro, Wright-Phillips, Carvalho, Sinclair.

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate:

"These are not games we go into frightened. We have shown over the last few years that we are competitive in every game we got in to.

"Lots of other teams write off games against the top four but we've deserved to get results against them.

"It's very important when results haven't gone as you'd hoped that you remember the things you've done well."

Avram Grant on Didier Drogba's decision to make public his desire to leave Chelsea.

"I know that it is not the first time he has said it. But I have not seen him yet. I need to do that first. It is internal business.

"I cannot tell you anything. I have read many things that were not true about problems in the dressing room.

"I am very happy with the atmosphere and the attitude of the players."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea have the weakest attack of top half clubs in the Premier League, but travel looking for a second league win under Avram Grant and third on the bounce in all competitions.

Dutchman Henk ten Cate will be involved with his first match for Chelsea since his appointment as assistant first-team coach.

Middlesbrough are in danger of suffering three successive defeats for the first time in the tenure of Gareth Southgate, on his 500th day in charge.

Both Middlesbrough and Chelsea have opened the scoring in fewer Premier League games than any other clubs; two each.

This is the 101st league meeting; Middlesbrough are chasing a third home win on the bounce against Chelsea.

CLUB FORM

MIDDLESBROUGH

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 11th

Lowest could realistically fall: 17th

1. Not won in five league and cup matches.

2. Picked up one point from the last possible 12.

3. Managed one win in six Premier League outings.

4. Managed just one league clean sheet this season; 2-0, home to Birmingham on 1 September.

5. Conceded the opening goal in more Premier League matches than any other club; seven.

6. The most ill-disciplined club in the Premier League this season; 27 cards (all yellow).

7. Scored in each of the last eight home league matches, and failed to score in one of the last 16; the 0-2 defeat to Manchester City on 17 March.

8. Scored two goals in each of the last three Premier League fixtures at the Riverside.

9. A trip across the Pennines to meet Manchester United follows this match.

CHELSEA

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 4th

Lowest could fall: 9th

1. Won one, drawn one and lost one in the Premier League under Avram Grant, scoring just one goal in the process.

2. Scored eight goals and conceded eight from nine league outings, so far this term.

3. Seven points worse off than at this identical stage last season, and 12 points inferior to the title winning campaign of 2005-06.

4. Completed 14 league games since a win by more than a single goal; 1-4 away to West Ham on 18 April.

5. One of six clubs with a 100% record from Premier League matches in which they opened the scoring (won two of two).

6. Failed to score in four Premier League matches this term; only Derby exceed that with five such blanks.

7. Gained an unrivalled seven Premier League points from losing positions this term.

8. Gained just one point from their last four trips to the north-east, since a 1-2 win at Sunderland on 15 January 2006; 0-0 v Newcastle on 22 April.

9. Defeat here would see them equalling their total number of league losses on the road for the whole of last season.

10. This match precedes the Champions League Group B tie, home to Schalke of Germany on Wednesday, before a home clash with Manchester City next weekend.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

MIDDLESBROUGH

Stewart DOWNING is Middlesbrough's top scorer, with three Premier League goals - one more than he managed in the whole of last season.

DOWNING and Mark SCHWARZER are the only remaining players to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Middlesbrough's Premier League matches this season.

If he plays:-

Andrew TAYLOR will be making his 100th club career appearance (Bradford City and Middlesbrough).

Robert HUTH will be facing the club where he started his career. The 23 year old Germany international defender made 62 appearances (42 in the league) and scored two goals for Chelsea between February 2002 and his £6m move to the Riverside in August 2006.

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD and Salomon KALOU are Chelsea's leading scorers with three goals each.

LAMPARD is also the club's leading Premier League marksman, as all three of his goals were in the league.

Goalkeeper Petr CECH is the only player who has been on the field for every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premier League matches this season.

Didier DROGBA has scored five Premier League goals in five appearances against Middlesbrough.

If selected:-

DROGBA will be making his 150th appearance in a Chelsea shirt.

Suspended:-

Wayne BRIDGE (three matches)

HEAD TO HEAD

Middlesbrough had picked up one point in four home Premier League matches against Chelsea, prior to winning the most recent two; 3-0 and 2-1.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Middlesbrough 28 wins, Chelsea 43, Draws 29

Prem: Middlesbrough 5 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 6

at Middlesbrough only

League (inc PL): 23 wins, Chelsea 11, Draws 16

Prem: Middlesbrough 5 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 3

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Middlesbrough 2-1 Chelsea

23 August 2006 - Ref: Howard Webb

Middlesbrough scorers: Pogatetz 80, Viduka 90

Chelsea scorer: Shevchenko 16

REFEREE

Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

Drogba 'wants to leave Chelsea'

Striker Didier Drogba is unhappy at Chelsea and wants to leave the club, according to France Football magazine.

In an interview due to be published on Friday, Drogba, 29, says morale is low since Jose Mourinho left as manager.

"I want to leave Chelsea. Something is broken with Chelsea," said Drogba. "The damage is big in the dressing room."

But Chelsea said: "Didier signed a new four-year contract last year. As a top professional we're sure he is committed to Chelsea and intends to honour it."

France Football is a well-established magazine in France that awards the Ballon d'Or for the European Footballer of the Year.

Drogba joined Chelsea from Marseille for £24m in July 2004 and has been the subject of regular speculation since then despite a prolific record with the Blues.

He signed his new deal last November but told the BBC the following month that he had considered leaving the previous summer in the wake of Chelsea's second successive league title.

In the France Football interview, Drogba is quoted as saying he wanted an even earlier exit and will not change his mind even if the club make high-profile signings next summer.

"Nothing can stop me from leaving now," he said.

Drogba says Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan or Inter Milan would be his preferred destination.

"Since the day I arrived, I wanted to leave Chelsea and then again every summer," he said.

"I know that Ronaldinho and Kaka are linked to come next season but even that won't change my mind."

Is this the type of player you need in your team at a time when the club needs eveyine to be pulling in the same direction :o:D:D .

He wouldnt last another week in the first team at Liverpool if thats the way he's acting.

Drogba to be dropped this weekend then :D .

Its not something we need right now but you can never take for granted what you read in the papers, he has already come out and said he regrets making those comments in a French magazine. If he doesn't improve his form I will be glad to see the back of him, it will be interesting to see if he can find a better club than Chelsea, like all the others that have left I'm sure he will just fade into obscurity :D

So Drogba starts the game and scores after 7 minutes :bah: , maybe he's not leaving after all.

So Drogba starts the game and scores after 7 minutes :o , maybe he's not leaving after all.

Or maybe he's playing at his best for the January sales :D

I can't see him being released as early as January but if he beats his performance last season and wins us the title or champions league then he will be a free man in May.

Middlesbrough 0-2 Chelsea

Didier Drogba's cool finish set Chelsea on their way to victory and increased the pressure on Gareth Southgate's struggling Middlesbrough side.

Drogba showed great composure to slot home after racing through following a slick one-two with Frank Lampard.

Mido missed a glorious chance to level moments later, Petr Cech reacting brilliantly to keep his header out.

But Chelsea sealed the win after the break when Alex crashed a wonderful 30-yard free-kick past Mark Schwarzer.

Up until Alex's stunning strike the game was in the balance but the second goal relaxed the visitors who suddenly started to play with a swagger and saw out the remaining half an hour in relative comfort.

It was Drogba, who this week went public with his desire to quit the club, who eased the early pressure on both himself and the club with the crucial opening goal.

Florent Malouda fed the ball into the Ivorian whose cushioned pass found Lampard.

The England midfielder then played a first-time pass through to Drogba who raced towards goal and coolly guided his shot across Mark Schwarzer and into the far corner.

But Boro, who had beaten Chelsea in the corresponding fixture for the past two seasons, should have levelled almost immediately.

Gary O'Neil skipped past Paulo Ferreira - playing out of position at left-back - and his teasing cross found Mido whose powerful close-range header forced a fine instinctive save from Cech.

After that the visitors seemed content to sit back and defend their lead and Boro had plenty of possession but the closest they came to the Chelsea goal were a couple of dangerous crosses which Juliano Belletti did well to clear.

At the other end, Chelsea's only noteworthy chance of an error-strewn first-half saw Drogba curl a free-kick wide from the edge of the box.

Boro upped the pace after the interval and looked threatening. Mido should have done better with a floated Stewart Downing cross as the home side enjoyed a decent spell camped in the Chelsea half.

But the game was effectively over when Alex spanked Chelsea 2-0 ahead with a thunderous free-kick on 57 minutes.

Lampard touched the ball to his right and the Brazilian smashed it high into the right-hand side of the net from 30-yards - his first goal for the club.

The Londoners then had a couple of half-chances to increase their lead through Malouda and Lampard.

O'Neil blazed a shot over the bar in the dying seconds after some dreadful defending but Boro never looked like avoiding a third consecutive Premier League.

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate:

"Against a team with their quality you can't concede early and that's the problem.

"We didn't get close to them until they scored their goal but maybe by then it's too late.

"Petr Cech made a fantastic save (from Mido) we created two or three very good chances and are well in the game but the free-kick was top drawer and that killed the game off.

"When you have a spell like this you need to stick together and roll your sleeves up."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant on the win and Didier Drogba's comments in the French press that he wants to quit the club:

"We played good and we won. I'm happy with win and happy are playing better from game to game.

"We started well, scored and could have scored more. Alex has a terrific shot and it was a fantastic goal and the first goal was a good combination too.

"I have seen Didier in the last month in training, in my room, on the pitch and I haven't had one problem. If he has done something off the pitch and he regrets it, it's good.

"He is not a negative person. If he was negative on the pitch or in the dressing room or when he spoke to me, that is another story. But it's not like this. Players need to speak on the pitch, and he did that very well."

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer, Young, Woodgate, Riggott, Taylor, O'Neil, Boateng (Cattermole 67), Rochemback, Downing, Sanli (Craddock 84), Mido.

Subs Not Used: Turnbull, Lee, Wheater.

Booked: Boateng.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Alex, Ferreira, Obi, Essien (Sidwell 81), Lampard, Joe Cole, Drogba (Shevchenko 85), Malouda (Wright-Phillips 75).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Malouda.

Goals: Drogba 8, Alex 57.

Att: 27,699.

Ref: Mark Halsey (Lancashire).

Grant eager to entertain

Chelsea manager Avram Grant has revealed that he wants to bring more entertaining football to Stamford Bridge.

The Israeli made the comments after The Blues' 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough at The Riverside on Saturday.

He told the Daily Star Sunday: "I feel an obligation to entertain. That's the right way in modern football.

"We have to win - but not like it was before. We want to play better football, but you can't do it in one day.

"I can't say I'm not happy with a 2-0 win, but in the last two games we have missed 50 per cent of the chances we created."

Grant also claimed striker Didier Drogba remains committed to Chelsea despite earlier stating he wanted a move away from the London club.

He said: "I don't know what will happen in the future but for me and the players it is an honour to belong to Chelsea.

"I am convinced he is 100 per cent committed to Chelsea. I don't see one player who isn't."

Cech: Drogba's committed

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech believes Didier Drogba's performance in the 2-0 win over Middlesbrough reaffirmed the striker's commitment to the club.

Last week, Drogba conducted an interview in France Football in which he stressed his wish to leave Stamford Bridge following Jose Mourinho's departure as manager.

The 29-year-old has subsequently expressed his regret at his comments and will not discuss his future again until the end of the season.

Drogba netted the opener in the Riverside Stadium encounter, and Cech has praised the powerful forward's display.

Cech said: "Didier's best answer was on the pitch. He gave 100 per cent for us. He played an important game and found a crucial goal. What more can you say?

"Of course we are together as a team. He explained himself, which he has a right to do.

"As long as he plays 100 per cent for the team - and he has been doing that for years - then that's fine."

Following an unfamiliarly inconsistent start to the season, Chelsea sit seventh in the Premier League table - seven points behind leaders Arsenal.

But Avram Grant's men have shown signs of improvement of late, and Cech has backed the side to put together a consistent run of form.

"We hope to close the gap on the leaders as quickly as we can. December and January is usually our strongest period, when there are a lot of games coming," he added.

"We're looking to go into that period full of strength and in a good position.

"You can see from the direction that we are going that everyone is giving their all, even though it [losing Mourinho] was a big shock.

"We've tried to help the new manager and the new coaches by getting good results."

So Drogba starts the game and scores after 7 minutes :o , maybe he's not leaving after all.

I can't see him being released as early as January but if he beats his performance last season and wins us the title or champions league then he will be a free man in May.

Are you ready for this weekends little tustle Seapok :D

We are a different force to last year :D

If he's moaning then there should be no sentiment, get rid. He could end up being a very disruptive influence which in the end could cost the club dear.

Personally, no sympathy for Chelsea, as they are starting to reap what they have sowed.

We are a different force to last year :D

Yeah I am looking forward to the game, I think our confidence is coming back now and we are starting to deliver, so it could be a very hard game for your boys!, I must admit you've had a great start this season, very good at home but playing at the Stamford Bridge fortress will be a different story. :D

We are a different force to last year :bah:

Yeah I am looking forward to the game, I think our confidence is coming back now and we are starting to deliver, so it could be a very hard game for your boys!, I must admit you've had a great start this season, very good at home but playing at the Stamford Bridge fortress will be a different story. :bah:

Unfortunately chelski don't lose at home Mr b , an easy win for Avram and his boys I reckon :D ........... crisis....what crisis :D .

Ten Cate looks for style

Henk ten Cate is determined to add some style to Chelsea's play.

During Jose Mourinho's tenure, The Blues were perceived as professional but far from entertaining - despite their success.

Now Ten Cate - recently appointed number two to Avram Grant - is looking to add a little sparkle to Chelsea's football.

"It will cost a lot of energy and effort working on the training ground, trying to convince the players there is also another way of playing football that is fun to do and which pleases the crowd," Ten Cate told the club's website.

"This has to go step-by-step. You cannot go for a miracle change, it is impossible.

"We are a big football club and we need results along the way and you have to do it step-by-step."

Ten Cate admitted he would like Chelsea to play in a similar style to Barcelona - whom he coached for three years while working alongside Frank Rijkaard.

"I think you can play a certain way of football that is very similar to Barcelona but you need the players for that - and Chelsea doesn't have (Andres) Iniesta, doesn't have Deco, doesn't have Xavi which are players with a certain quality.

"But Chelsea on the other hand has (Michael) Essien and (Claude) Makelele and (Frank) Lampard - different players with different styles.

"But I think it is not the style of Barcelona players, it is the way they play that is attractive - and with Chelsea with all the players we have and all the quality we have, we can play attractive football that is fun to watch, with the intention of winning the game, not with the intention of not losing the game."

So Drogba starts the game and scores after 7 minutes :D , maybe he's not leaving after all.

Or maybe he's playing at his best for the January sales :bah:

Yeah I am looking forward to the game, I think our confidence is coming back now and we are starting to deliver, so it could be a very hard game for your boys!, I must admit you've had a great start this season, very good at home but playing at the Stamford Bridge fortress will be a different story. :o

Unfortunately chelski don't lose at home Mr b , an easy win for Avram and his boys I reckon :D ........... crisis....what crisis :D .

:o

EASY !!

Wait till the boys from Brazil turn on the style ;)

So Drogba starts the game and scores after 7 minutes :D , maybe he's not leaving after all.

Yeah I am looking forward to the game, I think our confidence is coming back now and we are starting to deliver, so it could be a very hard game for your boys!, I must admit you've had a great start this season, very good at home but playing at the Stamford Bridge fortress will be a different story. :o

:o

EASY !!

Wait till the boys from Brazil turn on the style ;)

I hope they do mate :D

Drogba '100% committed to Blues'

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has reiterated his commitment to the club after going back on comments suggesting he was seeking a move.

He told BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat: "If you are not happy to be somewhere it is difficult to give 100%.

"Now I'm giving 100% because I feel good. I love the fans - I think they show me the respect I deserve and this is very important."

Drogba also said he was in regular contact with former boss Jose Mourinho.

The 29-year-old admitted he was upset to see Mourinho leave the club in controversial circumstances last month.

"How could I not be emotional when he brought me to England, to the best league in the world," added Drogba.

"He was always behind me and protecting me, If I had a good season last year, it was because he was behind me and the team was behind me.

"I'm still in touch with him, the relationship is good. It's important to keep in touch with people you worked with for four years."

Drogba, speaking at an event to promote the new anti-racism single he has recorded with team-mate Michael Essien, said Chelsea had not written off their Premiership title hopes despite their poor start to the season.

"Being eight points behind is a situation we are not used to," he said.

"Now what is good is that there are a lot of teams who are competing to be champions, more than two or three years ago. Maybe this will help us.

"It was very painful to lose the league last year - when you get used to something, it's difficult to lose it."

Last week, Chelsea issued a statement on Drogba's behalf in which he said he regretted his comments to a French magazine in which he made it clear he wished to leave.

"I am a Chelsea player and will be 100% committed and supportive to my manager, my team-mates and the club," he said.

"I will not be discussing my future any further until I meet privately with the club at the end of the season."

In an interview with France Football, he said he "wanted to leave Chelsea".

"Something is broken with Chelsea," he was quoted as saying. "The damage is big in the dressing-room.

"Nothing can stop me from leaving now," he added, listing Barcelona, Real Madrid, and both Milan clubs as possible destinations.

Drogba, 29, joined Chelsea from Marseille for £24m in July 2004 and has been the subject of regular speculation since then despite a prolific record with the Blues.

His comments suggested the Ivory Coast star was keen to leave the club in the January transfer window.

But Chelsea manager Avram Grant said he was keen to speak to the player in private to quell any further dressing-room unrest.

Drogba signed a four-year contract in November 2006 but told the BBC the following month he had considered leaving the previous summer in the wake of Chelsea's second successive league title.

Chelsea v Schalke 04

Champions League, Group B match

Date: Wednesday, 24 October

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Stamford Bridge

Listen: BBC Radio 5live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile; Score on BBCi (1930 BST)

Chelsea are again without injured defenders John Terry (knee) and Ashley Cole (ankle).

Striker Didier Drogba is expected to start despite his troublesome knee injury while left-back Wayne Bridge is also available.

Schalke have a host of injuries and were only able to name a squad of 17 for their weekend league game.

Influential midfielder Christian Pander is among those missing, along with Halil Altintop and Mesut Ozil.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim, Lampard, Obi, Essien, Bridge, J Cole, Carvalho, Makelele, Sidwell, Malouda, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"I have vision of how I think Chelsea need to play; entertaining football and results.

"First we want to win, but the way of winning is also important.

"We cannot play the best every 90 minutes but this is our goal; to play good football and win games. That is what I want to see on Wednesday."

Head-to-heads

Chelsea and Schalke 04 have never met in any European Cup competition.

Chelsea are unbeaten in five home matches against German opposition (four wins, one draw); Schalke have never won on English soil.

European history

This is Schalke's third Champions League season. In 2001-02 and 2005-06 they were eliminated in the group phase.

Chelsea have always survived the group phase in their five CL participations.

Current European form

Chelsea are unbeaten for seven CL home matches, recording five wins and two draws. Their last CL defeat at Stamford Bridge dates back to 22 February 2006, when they were beaten 1-2 by Barcelona.

Two weeks ago, Schalke posted their second CL away win, beating Rosenborg 2-0 in Trondheim. Their only previous victory in seven CL away matches came six years ago, on 16 October 2001 at RCD Mallorca (0-4).

Player and disciplinary info

Andriy Shevchenko is Chelsea's most seasoned squad member, having featured in 90 CL matches. He is also the leading career marksman in the Chelsea squad, having netted 47 times in the Champions League (four as a Chelsea player). Frank Lampard's 43 CL appearances for Chelsea is a club record.

If he plays, Claudio Pizarro will be making his 50th career CL appearance.

Shaun Wright-Phillips will turn 26 the day after this match.

Only three players have been on the field for every minute of Chelsea's CL campaign this season. They are Petr Cech, Claude Makelele and John Terry.

Schalke's most experienced CL player is Peter Lovenkrands, who has made 17 CL appearances. Kevin Kuranyi is their leading career marksman, having netted six times in the Champions League.

Other miscellaneous facts

On Saturday, Chelsea won 0-2 at Middlesbrough, but are only seventh in the Premier League, seven points off the pace.

Meanwhile, Schalke stumbled to a 1-1 draw at Hansa Rostock, and are in fifth place in the Bundesliga table, trailing leaders Bayern Munich by 26 points.

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Chelsea 2-0 Schalke 04

Goals from Florent Malouda and Didier Drogba put Chelsea within sight of the Champions League knockout stages in a comfortable win over Schalke.

Malouda put Avram Grant's side in front inside four minutes when his left-foot strike squirmed through the legs of embarrassed German keeper Manuel Neuer.

Drogba made the game safe two minutes into the second half when he dived to flick home Paolo Ferreira's's cross.

Soren Larson was closest for injury-hit Schalke when he headed against a post.

Chelsea came into the game in buoyant mood, on the back of three straight wins under Grant and keen not to suffer a repeat of the previous Champions League night at Stamford Bridge last month.

On that occasion, a disappointing 1-1 draw with Rosenborg spelt the end of Jose Mourinho's Chelsea reign and saw Grant ushered in as head coach.

On the eve of his first home Champions League game, Grant pledged attacking football and pure entertainment - and it took less than four minutes for his side to make good that promise.

Frank Lampard - captain in the absence of John Terry - floated a long ball forward and Drogba brilliantly flicked a header into the path of Malouda.

The French winger cut inside and then out again to leave defender Rafinha dizzy and Malouda's left-foot shot took a slight deflection off the defender before squeezing through the hands and legs of the befuddled keeper.

The Germany Under-21 international was left painfully red-faced by his error and the early breakthrough hinted at a hammering for the Germans, who have failed to get past the group stages in their two previous Champions League attempts.

But Chelsea, despite hogging possession, were unable to turn the screw and failed to provide further proof of the expansive style promised by Grant.

That fact was even more surprising given that Schalke were without seven first-team regulars, exacerbated by the withdrawal of Kevin Kuranyi with a leg injury following the pre-match warm-up.

So bad were their injury problems that coach Mirko Slomka was able to name only five of his permitted seven substitutes on the bench.

Yet, despite the lack of personnel, the German side provided a stubborn resistance and could easily have been on level terms midway through the first half.

With two half-hearted penalty appeals already waved away, Schalke were left cursing the officials again on 28 minutes when Carlos Grossmuller turned and fired home, but only having first leaned fractionally into an offside position.

The hard-working Fabian Ernst then dipped a long-range effort just over but Chelsea finished the half strongly and Joe Cole's injury-time drive forced Neuer to redeem himself with a fine save lown down to his right.

And the home side put the result beyond reasonable doubt as they started the second half the way they had begun the first.

Ferreira was allowed space down the right and floated an inviting cross for Drogba to dive and flick a header beyond the advancing Neuer for his 14th goal in 30 Champions League games for Chelsea.

This was Drogba's first Stamford Bridge appearance since his outspoken views on his future at the club and a handful of disgruntled Chelsea fans took the opportunity to air their opinions.

But if those views were still being voiced in the early stages of the second half, they were drowned out by the celebrations of those who have clearly forgiven the Ivorian striker.

Cole and Claude Makelele both narrowly failed with long-range efforts but Chelsea again took their foot off the gas and Schalke served notice that the game was not yet won when Larsen headed against a post, the rebound flying straight into the arms of a grateful Petr Cech.

And Chelsea had a lucky escape five minutes from time when Alex's mishit back-pass let in Larsen, who was clearly tugged back by the desperate Brazilian only for referee Peter Frojdfeldt to wave away Schalke's frantic appeals.

It was a clear foul and an obvious red card, yet Frojdfeldt was at least consistent as he then denied Drogba a penalty after the striker had been chopped down by Marcelo Bordon.

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"We wanted to start well and we did that - not just the goal but by playing good football.

"Then we rested but we scored early again in the second half and could have had more goals, but the important thing is that we won and continued to improve.

"Schalke hit the post and I didn't see what happened with the Alex incident, but we had four or five chances to score again.

"Today was Roman Abramovic's 41st birthday so, for him, it's good. He deserves it and has done so much for the team and the fans, so I wish him a happy birthday."

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho, Alex, Bridge, Essien (Obi 70), Makelele, Lampard, Joe Cole (Shevchenko 89), Malouda (Kalou 83), Drogba.

Subs not used: Cudicini, Pizarro, Ben-Haim, Belletti.

Goals: Malouda 4, Drogba 47.

Schalke 04: Neuer, Rafinha, Westermann, Bordon, Rodriguez (Bajramovic 81), Ernst, Jones, Grossmuller (Azaouagh 76), Asamoah (Rakitic 61), Lovenkrands, Larsen.

Subs not used: Schober, Howedes.

Booked: Jones, Rodriguez.

Attendance: 40,910

Referee: Peter Frojdfeldt (Sweden).

Edited by Seapok

Hi you experts Chelsea Gents!

Not being an expert on Chelsea I would like to ask how much 'credit' the new manager Avram Grant has from Abramovitch ?

The same question about Henk ten Cate; how much credit does he have ?

The reason I ask this is the special link & contact from Abramovitch to Guus Hiddink, the present manager of the Russian Team..... :o

I have a feeling that Guus Hiddink could be the next manager at Chelsea in the not too far distance.

Could that be a reason why Ten Cate was hired ?

What do you think ?

LaoPo

We are a different force to last year :o

Yeah I am looking forward to the game, I think our confidence is coming back now and we are starting to deliver, so it could be a very hard game for your boys!, I must admit you've had a great start this season, very good at home but playing at the Stamford Bridge fortress will be a different story. ;)

Unfortunately chelski don't lose at home Mr b , an easy win for Avram and his boys I reckon :bah: ........... crisis....what crisis :D .

I didn't think it would be 6-0 though :D , Jose who ?????? :o

I don't know quite what to make of it ? Yes, Chelsea actually made better watching than Arsenal's 7-0 drubbing of Slavia Prague because how ever bad Citeh, they were better opposition than Arsenal had to face.

But Citeh's bubble had to burst, although I'm not sure if I'm suprised that it didn't come earlier or later ? So Chelsea were in the right place at the right time. Although with the likes of Drogba and Joe Cole playing then they're overdue defeat perhaps wouldn' have been so comprehensive. Had it not been Chelsea ,Arsenal or even Liverpool that they were up against then still a three or four nil was always on the books by someone at some time soon.

I think that Citeh have had their Litmus test and predictably failed. But that doesn't mean that Chelsea will do much under their present manager either. Yesterday was impressive, but a one-off for Chelsea and a putting of Sven's team into their real perspective as early season over_achievers.

But Citeh's bubble had to burst, although I'm not sure if I'm suprised that it didn't come earlier or later ?

Back to our "Plan A" now. Just need 18 points for safety :o

but a one-off for Chelsea and a putting of Sven's team into their real perspective as early season over_achievers.

Bit harsh there HH. Over achievers!! We won the games and got the points. The point where gained on meritimple really :D

Bit harsh there HH. Over achievers!! We won the games and got the points. The point where gained on meritimple really

I know that's probably right, mate. But it grates a bit when it's on the backs of a bunch of mercenaries that Sven brough in with him. :o

Chelsea 6-0 Man City

Didier Drogba scored twice as Chelsea thrashed Manchester City to claim their third successive victory in the league.

The hosts dominated throughout and were 2-0 up at the break as Michael Essien and Drogba got on the end of passes from the outstanding Frank Lampard.

Drogba made it 3-0 when Lampard's shot was saved, before Joe Cole, Salomon Kalou and Andriy Shevchenko netted.

Stephen Ireland and Martin Petrov came close for City in the first half but they were strangely subdued otherwise.

For Chelsea, however, it was a fifth straight win in all competitions, confirmation that the trauma of former boss Jose Mourinho's departure was well behind them.

They were simply too quick and too clever for a lethargic City side who gave them too much time on the ball and looked a shadow of the team which had also earned four victories in a row.

Chelsea did have an early scare when Ireland almost got on the end of Elano's delightful chip, which Petr Cech had to push past his left post.

Later in the half Petrov forced the Blues keeper to palm away a long-range free-kick, and Ireland should have done better when given time to pick his shot.

Other than that it was pretty much one-way traffic.

Essien gave the home side a deserved lead when Lampard slipped him in and it was no surprise when the England midfielder produced another quite sublime pass with the outside of his boot to send Drogba racing past Micah Richards for his third goal in as many games.

Chelsea were rampant and should have had a penalty moments later when Dietmar Hamann hacked down Drogba, while Joe Hart saved well from Kalou, who then appeared to be tripped by Richard Dunne in the box.

It proved academic, however, with the game over as a contest thanks to two further Chelsea strikes within 15 minutes of the restart.

Drogba hammered in his second after Lampard's shot had been brilliantly kept out by Hart and he squandered a fine opportunity to complete his hat-trick when Lampard unleashed another drive which Hart palmed away.

The powerful striker made amends with a cushioned header that sent Cole surging clear to finish with aplomb and pile on the misery for City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

With the visitors now concentrating on damage limitation, Chelsea could afford to bring on the out-of-sorts Shevchenko.

Chances continued to come their way and Essien carved open the shell-shocked City defence twice more to serve up opportunities which Kalou and Shevchenko gleefully accepted.

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"In the last month we have improved in every match. The players want to be better and have shown full commitment to positive football and winning - there are no big secrets behind this. "We will enjoy this but we are in the middle of the process and want to continue it. I don''t think we will win many games 6-0. Manchester City are not an easy team to beat but we made it easier.

"We moved like we needed to and played our football. The fans know now we are trying to play positive football."

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"We forgot how to defend. If you give a team like Chelsea space and time that will happen. It was very bad defending from our side - we have to be much better than that.

"It has been a good story so far this season but I'm sorry for the fans who travelled here. There were a lot of them here, they wanted to see us play good football - not see us lose like we did.

"People are talking about us playing good football but you have to defend and be very aggressive. If you don't do that against a team like Chelsea this happens."

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Alex, Ferreira, Joe Cole (Shevchenko 67), Essien, Lampard, Obi, Kalou, Drogba (Pizarro 80).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Makelele, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Essien, Lampard.

Goals: Essien 16, Drogba 31, 56, Joe Cole 60, Kalou 75, Shevchenko 90.

Man City: Hart, Corluka, Dunne, Richards, Garrido, Ireland (Vassell 63), Hamann (Ball 66), Johnson, Petrov, Elano (Bianchi 73), Samaras.

Subs Not Used: Isaksson, Onuoha.

Booked: Richards, Johnson.

Att: 41,832

Ref: Mike Riley (Yorkshire).

Cech: Chelsea are back

Petr Cech has warned Chelsea's title rivals that The Blues are back at full power following their 6-0 thrashing of Manchester City.

Avram Grant's side endured a difficult month in September, but have been back at their best over the past four fixtures.

"The last four games we have played great, we have won them and not conceded," Cech told MF Dnes. "We went through a dark spell in September but now we are back. Chelsea are a big power."

Cech, who reached a century of Premier League appearances on Saturday, kept his 58th clean sheet in the English league against Sven Goran Eriksson's City.

"It's very nice. The Premier League is extremely tough and to have 58 per cent success is a really great result," the Czech Republic international goalkeeper said.

"It's like strikers trying to score goals, I hate if I concede a goal, and especially in that game, it would have been a pity if we spoiled the score."

Cech believes his Chelsea team-mates have got over the sudden departure of Jose Mourinho, saying: "Once you are winning, all the problems are forgotten. We are okay."

Chelsea are currently fourth in the Premier League, five points behind Arsenal and Manchester United, and Cech is delighted with the turnaround.

He added: "It is important that we climb the table. We are already within sight of Manchester United and Arsenal and we are prepared to cut the margin completely.

"The objective is clear - we must be winning and winning as we have already lost a lot of points."

Kalou: We have moved on

Chelsea striker Salomon Kalou insists life at Stamford Bridge is back to normal following the departure of former manager Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho surprisingly left Chelsea by mutual consent last month and a number of Blues players admitted their disappointment at the Portuguese's departure.

However, Chelsea have lost only once - against Manchester United - since new boss Avram Grant took charge and Kalou believes the side have now grown accustomed to life after Mourinho.

Kalou, who Chelsea signed from Feyenoord in 2006, admits it was difficult to see Mourinho leave but he believes the Blues squad have now moved on.

"I had it (managerial upheaval) at Feyenoord when Ruud Gullit left. But in that situation Gullit left at the end of the season," said Kalou.

"In this case, it didn't happen like that, but it's all experience. It's all part of football. In this game you meet people, you work with people, but things change.

"Jose Mourinho brought me to Chelsea so in that respect it was difficult to see him go.

"But for me, it is also important that you keep the great memories of that person and look back on it as a good time.

"I'm a professional footballer and these things happen so we have to move on.

"The most important thing is the team. As professionals, that's all that matters, so we have to give our best to whoever we are working with.

"Avram likes his players to be focused on their jobs and their goals. He knows what he wants and where he's going. So we have to make his job as easy as we can by giving him our best."