Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Wilkins - Blues more dangerous

Ray Wilkins believes last term's disappointments have made Chelsea a dangerous beast this season.

Chelsea endured a 2007/08 campaign of near misses after finishing runners-up to Manchester United in the race for the Premier League.

United also beat Chelsea on penalties in the UEFA Champions League, with the Blues having earlier lost the Carling Cup final to Tottenham after extra time.

Under new boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, the Blues have made an encouraging start to the new season and sit top of the table.

New assistant first-team coach Wilkins has been impressed by the players' determination and expects silverware to arrive at Stamford Bridge.

"This is why I think we'll be so dangerous this year, because the players are smarting from last year," said Wilkins in the Daily Mirror.

"The first day I walked in I could see the determination.

"Chelsea are a bunch of winners, but were second in the Premier League, lost the Champions League final and lost the final of the Carling Cup.

"No wonder they're smarting."

"Chelsea are a bunch of winners, but were second in the Premier League, lost the Champions League final and lost the final of the Carling Cup"

Interesting logic this sentence is.

I'm sure he is referring to actual spirit and ambition rather than actual facts, anyway they will all be winners come May!! :o

"Chelsea are a bunch of winners, but were second in the Premier League, lost the Champions League final and lost the final of the Carling Cup"

I'm sure he is referring to actual spirit and ambition rather than actual facts, anyway they will all be winners come May!! :o

Sounds like sour grapes to me !

Seapok members are guaranteed 1 ticket :D then an extra two after at the next stage along with the seaosn ticket holders. Us members get quite a good deal :D I am planning to go to about 7 matches over december and obviously the 30th nov match. Got spammers as well early dec COME ON CHELSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !

Edited by bravingbangkok

Seapok members are guaranteed 1 ticket :D then an extra two after at the next stage along with the seaosn ticket holders. Us members get quite a good deal :D I am planning to go to about 7 matches over december and obviously the 30th nov match. Got spammers as well early dec COME ON CHELSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !

Yeah I know about the 1 ticket rule mate but by the time the extra tickets are available the game has already been sold out, especially for the big games, thats handy knowing you are a member, maybe when your not around I could use your No. to get 2 x tickets for the big games, we could do each other a favour, with the loyality points scheme, what do you think?

I'm sure he is referring to actual spirit and ambition rather than actual facts, anyway they will all be winners come May!! :D

Yeah I know about the 1 ticket rule mate but by the time the extra tickets are available the game has already been sold out, especially for the big games, thats handy knowing you are a member, maybe when your not around I could use your No. to get 2 x tickets for the big games, we could do each other a favour, with the loyality points scheme, what do you think?

That would be fine with me :o I can buy the ticket and then send it to you and you can pay me through paypal or put the cash in my bank. Yes I would agree that the 2 extra tickets are always hard to get but at least we get 1 which is good enough :D

I'm sure he is referring to actual spirit and ambition rather than actual facts, anyway they will all be winners come May!! :D

That would be fine with me :o I can buy the ticket and then send it to you and you can pay me through paypal or put the cash in my bank. Yes I would agree that the 2 extra tickets are always hard to get but at least we get 1 which is good enough :D

You don't need to do that mate, just add each other's membership No.'s to our friends and family and just use it that way!, PM me your number and I will give you mine.

seapok did u ever used to drink in the Fineline In the northcote road ? I used to work there when I was younger and I remember one of the locals went by your first name and was chels supporter as well.

I've been in there a few times but wasn't a regular, drank mostly in The Northcote on the corner.......

Honesty isn't a word I ever thought I would hear being said about the Drog! :o

Gullit hails honest Drogba

Former Chelsea manager Ruud Gullit believes current Stamford Bridge star Didier Drogba has learned to eliminate 'diving' from his game.

Ivory Coast forward Drogba has come in for criticism for theatrical falls when challenged by opponents in the past.

But Gullit believes Drogba has taken heed of his previous mistakes and no longer attempts to 'cheat' decisions from referees.

And Gullit feels Drogba's Chelsea team-mates have played a major part in educating the former Marseille ace.

Gullit told Ford's FeelFootball.com: "When you complain all the time and when you try to cheat, that is against the honesty of the game and the laws of the game.

"But you can educate people and Drogba has been taught by his own players that he had to stop diving.

"When he stopped diving, all of a sudden he was getting things (going) his way."

And Gullit, who has also managed Newcastle United, has suggested that the increasing number of players from abroad in the Premier League has caused a rise in attempts to deceive match officials.

"If you are in Italy and dive and you get a penalty that is not cheating, it's like you have been clever," he added.

"But if you do that in England then you are a big cheat - so this is a difference of mentality."

Scolari clued up on Cluj

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari insists his side will not come unstuck in Transylvania on Wednesday.

The Blues head to the home of Dracula in midweek for the latest instalment of their UEFA Champions League adventure - a clash with CFR Cluj.

The Romanian minnows are something of an unknown quantity in Europe's premier club competition, gracing the group stages of the tournament for the first time in their history.

However, the man who is currently plotting their downfall is well aware of the task facing his side and is confident of avoiding the same fate which befell Serie A giants Roma in Matchday One, when Cluj pulled off a major shock in the Italian capital.

"I know about Cluj from Romania. I know more than you think," Scolari has boldly stated.

"I know they have 11 Portuguese people playing there, and I follow them. When I was with the Portugal national team, I heard news about Cluj every week.

"I have all the information I need about them. I have told my players what to expect."

CFR Cluj v Chelsea

Chelsea midfielders Joe Cole and Deco are still recovering from thigh muscle tears and will miss the Group A match against Romanian minnows, Cluj.

But striker Salomon Kalou has shrugged off an ankle injury he picked up in the win against Stoke on Saturday.

Chelsea beat Bordeaux 4-0 in their opening match and are big favourites.

But Cluj, who have several Portuguese players, caused a major upset with a 2-1 win over Roma in Italy in their first ever Champions League tie.

And Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari is adamant that his side will not take the Romanian champions lightly, insisting: "It would not be a big surprise if a team like Cluj beat a team like Chelsea any more.

"Now all teams know all teams, we know Cluj and they know us. There are no small teams in the Champions League anymore and Cluj are in the competition because they have good players. They are Romanian champions and deserve our respect.

"We win lots of games because we respect our opposition and we will respect Cluj just the same.

"Cluj are thinking about going as far as they can in world football and if they keep improving as they are, they will be a team that we will have to know for many years.

"So if they beat us it is not a surprise, it will be because they are better on the day."

With Deco and Joe Cole missing, more will rest on the shoulders of striker Didier Drogba, who is still making his way back from a knee injury.

But despite featuring in the club's last three league games, Scolari has warned Chelsea fans it could be as many as 10 more matches before they see the best of the Ivorian frontman.

"When Drogba has played more games, of course he'll arrive at the same level as last season," said the Brazilian. "But I need more time with him, he needs more time to get fit and the team needs more time to get the understanding back.

And Cluj coach Maurizio Trombetta, an Italian who took over the team a month ago, admits he is hoping to make the most of Chelsea's current injury worries to cause a shock.

"I know they have three important players who won't be playing so I am looking forward to the match," he said: "I want to defeat Chelsea and show I am a good coach."

Chelsea (from): Cech, Ivanovic, A Cole, Lampard, Di Santo, Drogba, Mikel, Ballack, Malouda, Sinclair, Bosingwa, Bridge, Ferreira, Kalou, Cudicini, Terry, Alex, Belletti, Anelka, Hilario.

To be fair to Cluj they played some good counter attacking stuff but couldn't penetrate our defense, another key injury soured the point gained :o

CFR Cluj 0-0 Chelsea

A below-par Chelsea side were held to a goalless draw away to Romanian champions CFR Cluj.

Blues striker Didier Drogba had a frustrating game and was stretchered off with what looked like a serious injury in the second half.

Eugen Trica and Alvaro Pereira threatened in the first-half for Cluj, while Salomon Kalou wasted a couple of chances for the visitors.

Trica clipped the post late on and Petr Cech denied Pereira with a smart save.

Cluj showed their 2-1 win in Rome was far from a one-off as they made life difficult for the visitors.

On this performance the Champions League debutants will be anything but pushovers.

But Chelsea will still feel this was a missed opportunity to take a firm grip on Group A.

The early signs were good with Drogba linking up well with Kalou inside five minutes, only for his team-mate to scuff a shot at keeper Eduard Stancioiu.

But it was a rare sight on goal as Cluj got men back, defended deep and cut off Chelsea's supply from the flanks.

They also showed plenty of ambition on the counter-attack, providing more worrying moments for Chelsea's backline than manager Luiz Felipe Scolari would have wanted.

He will have been alarmed at how Trica was allowed so much room in the box but relieved that the Romanian miscued in front of goal.

Drogba tried to put Kalou through on goal with a neat ball over the top, but again he lacked the necessary sharpness to test Stancioiu.

Chelsea threatened again when Frank Lampard picked out Drogba with a free-kick routine straight from the training ground, but the striker failed to connect cleanly in front of goal.

Nothing was going right for the Blues' Ivory Coast striker as he continually came off second best to some fully committed Cluj defending.

Scolari tried to offer Drogba more support with the introduction of Nicolas Anelka for Kalou at half-time.

But 12 minutes after the break, Drogba was forced off when he landed awkwardly trying to get on the end of a Florent Malouda cross.

He looked to be in severe pain as he stayed down for several minutes and was clearly in some distress as he was stretchered from the field.

Lampard had a couple of sights at goal as he looked to rescue Chelsea's evening, but he shot weakly and then produced a dipping effort too close to Stancioiu.

But it was the home side who looked the more likely to steal the three points in the dying stages, with Trica's shot edging the outside of the woodwork and then Cech had to be alert to deny Pereira's effort.

Anelka had a half chance at the other end and Lampard shot wide in the second minute of injury time, but a Chelsea winner would have been cruel on Cluj.

CFR Cluj: Stancioiu, Tony, Souza, Cadu, Pereira, Culio, Muresan, Dani, Dubarbier, Yssouf Kone, Trica (Didi 88).

Subs Not Used: Nuno Claro, Panin, Hugo Alcantara, Deac, Emmanuel Kone, Ruiz.

Booked: Pereira, Dani.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Bridge, Mikel, Kalou (Anelka 46), Ballack, Lampard, Malouda (Di Santo 74), Drogba (Belletti 57).

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Ivanovic, Ferreira, Stoch.

Booked: Alex, Anelka.

Att: 22,000.

Ref: Florian Meyer (Germany).

Any news on the extent of Drogba's injury?

This from the independent..

No goals in Transylvania. But another horror show. Didier Drogba was carried off last night with suspected ligament damage to his right knee and, possibly, although as yet unconfirmed, a fracture to his ankle after crumbling under an innocuous looking challenge. If the early fears are realised – and he was being X-rayed after the match and will undergo scans today – then it is a hammer blow to Chelsea's ambitions this season.

Injuries are piling up everywhere.

can't say the heart bleeds for drogba. karma for all those ridiculous dives he's put in over the seasons. :o

I hear ya, not my favorite but then again I prefer to beat Chelski this year with a full team. Less excuses = more satisfying. :D

I hear ya, not my favorite but then again I prefer to beat Chelski this year with a full team. Less excuses = more satisfying. :o

it's times like this you realise the transfer window has its benefits as otherwise chelsea would probably just go out and pay 10m for amir zaki or something.

Out for 6 weeks ! the silly bugger deserves it for all that stupid f'ing rolling around he did yet again. When will this guy learn ?

To tell you the truth we will finish top of this table. I am more concerned about the EPL game Vs Villa on sunday, a team which is only 1 point behind us and has played the same starting team every game so far this season :o Oh yes the team who beat us last year and then put 4 in our goal at the bridge.

However I think we will win 1-0 :D

Chelsea suffer Drogba injury blow

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba suffered suspected knee ligament damage in the Champions League goalless draw with Romanian side CFR Cluj on Wednesday.

Drogba, who has just returned from knee injury, left the stadium on crutches and is set to have a scan on Thursday.

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari also said John Terry and Alex suffered knocks in the game.

But he said Ashley Cole will be fit for the weekend after missing the game against Cluj with a back problem.

Chelsea, who are already missing injury victims Joe Cole, Deco, Michael Essien and Ricardo Carvalho, face in-form Aston Villa at home in the Premier League on Sunday.

Scolari said: "I don't know now what the possibilities I have for Sunday are, maybe after Thursday I have a chance to say something more.

"I didn't see the challenge on Drogba. Injuries come in training and on the pitch. This is normal for players."

BBC 5 Live's Simon Brotherton was in Romania and believed the injuries would test a Chelsea squad which was smaller than previous seasons.

"Injuries are starting to mount up," he said.

"Drogba was stretchered off with ligament damage, Ashely Cole was left out with lower back pain, John Terry was holding his back by the end of the game and they were already without Deco, Essien,

Carvalho and Joe Cole.

"The squad, smaller this season, may well be stretched and we're only just into October."

Brazilian coach Scolari was not too disappointed with the result against a side making their debut in the group stages of the Champions League.

"We didn't play well, but one point is better than zero points," he added.

"They beat Roma, they are confident, they're playing at home and they wanted to show to the people they are very good.

"Cluj were confident, they wanted to prove something. Maybe they will have a problem in their next game because they ran for 95 minutes."

"We knew this and we prepared but we missed one or two times in front of goal.

"But in the end I am happy with one point because Didier is out, Terry for 15 minutes played with problems, Alex played 15 minutes with problems."