Thaksin's Children To Be Forced To Pay Income Tax At 37 Per Cent Rate

Jai Dee

It will be difficult for Sirote to wriggle out of that one, even if he uses "gifted" as a verb.

Oldmanriver, I don't care about English, I only object to making up new words to explain obvious wrongdoings.

Come on, Plus. Instead of correcting poster's English, use your brains (which you were gifted) and do some homework. Why, for example, did Dep. PM Pridiyathorn try and protect Khun Sirote? I will make that one easy. It was because Dep. PM Pridiyathorn is an honest person, and he knew Khun Sirote to be the same way. None of the charges against Khun Sirote cover bribes taken, because he didn't take any. Where did this "new info" come from that Khun Sirote used when he changed his position (only to find out that this "new info" is false)? It was this change in position that you said caused him to lose his reputation.

If comments are that the head of the Revenue Department needs to take responsibility, why is Khun Sirote being hung for the Potjaman - Bannapot transaction? Somebody has to hang for no taxes being owed by the Shinawatra family for the SHIN sale, and who best but the guy that headed the Revenue Department at that time, regardless of the facts.

Khun Sirote will lose in all this, because he doesn't have support from the military. He never looked for support, because he didn't ever need it. He is a life long civil servant and that is not going to bail him out on this witch hunt.

Plus, go back and read the article you have linked. This time read it objectively. Then show me how Khun Sirote did anything wrong. His name isn't even mentioned as it pertains to the year 2000 transaction for good reason. He wasn't even at the Revenue Dept. in year 2000.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shinawatra family attorney protest AEC subcommittee member appointment

The Shinawatra family attorney has submitted documents opposing the appointment of Mr. Sak Korsangruang (สัก กอแสงเรือง) and Mr. Khra-narong Janthig (กล้านรงค์ จันทิก) as members of a prosecution subcommittee investigating the sale of Shinawatra company stocks.

The attorney to the Shinawatra family, Mr. Theera Thamasit (ธีระ ธรรมสิทธิ์), has reportedly submitted documents to the Assets Examination Committeem which stated his opposition to the establishment of a prosecution subcommittee to try Mr. Banpot Damapong (บรรณพจน์ ดามาพงศ์), the elder brother of Khunying Pojamarn Shinawatra (พจมาน ชินวัตร). Mr Banpot had reportedly received share transfers in the Shinawatra Computers and Communications company without paying taxes.

Mr. Theera stated after his meeting with AEC officials that he was among one of the legal team members assigned by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to oppose the appointment of Mr. Sak Korsangruang (สัก กอแสงเรือง) and Mr. Khra-narong Janthig (กล้านรงค์ จันทิก) to serve in the prosecution subcommittee. Meanwhile Mr. Nathapol Patama (นพดล ปัทมะ), the main attorney for the Shinawatra family, gave a telephone interview in which he said that prosecution members should be of impartiality so that the Shinwatra case could proceed smoothly. Mr. Nathapol said it was the right of the accused to protest during the judicial process.

ThaiNews

Did he give any grounds for them not being impartial?

If the AEC think there's enough grounds for prosecution the case is forwarded to the courts, which of course don't include Mr Sak or Klanarong, so Thaksin's lawyer is really crying wolf.

It's really amusing that TRT MPs are petitioning the Constitutional Court to allow Thaksin back into Thailand as the first witness in the party trial.

This is the man who perfected video conferences in Thailand!

Mobile cabinets, PM here or there, in Thailand or across the ocean, they were all linked up by the expensive hi-tech PM!

I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to.

Just send

More discussions on sale of Shin Corp stocks

A prosecution subcommittee investigating the sale of Shinawatra company stocks will be held this afternoon to schedule 6 people to give their testimonies.

Mr. Sak Korsangruang (สัก กอแสงเรือง), a member of the subcommittee, revealed that the subcommittee will join the meeting this afternoon to plan for further action. He said that the subcommittee will set time frame for those involved to give their testimonies. Eariler, the Shinawatra family attorney had submitted documents opposing the appointment of Mr. Sak Korsangruang (สัก กอแสงเรือง) and Mr. Khra-narong Janthig (กล้านรงค์ จันทิก) as members of the subcommittee.

The 6 alleged people, whom the subcommittee will summon, include Mr. Banpot Damapong (บรรณพจน์ ดามาพงศ์), Khunying Pojamarn Shinawatra (พจมาน ชินวัตร), Ms. Duangta Wongpakdee (ดวงตา วงศ์ภักดี), Mrs. Kanchana Honghern (กาญจนาภา หงส์เหิน), Mr. wanchai Honghern (วันชัย หงส์เหิน), and Ms. Pranee Wetchapreukpitak (ปราณี เวศชพฤกษ์พิทักษ์).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 December 2006

Why, for example, did Dep. PM Pridiyathorn try and protect Khun Sirote? I will make that one easy. It was because Dep. PM Pridiyathorn is an honest person, and he knew Khun Sirote to be the same way.

I don't know why exactly Pridiyatorn defended Sirote but many people objected to that right away. The Nation gave their own reason, and I'm sure it wasn't "because he is honest".

Where did this "new info" come from that Khun Sirote used when he changed his position (only to find out that this "new info" is false)?

I'm not sure anyone believed in existence of this "new info". They were just making an excuse for not taking action earlier. What I AM sure of is that Sirote wouldn't have "changed his mind" if Thaksin was still in power, new info or not.

If comments are that the head of the Revenue Department needs to take responsibility, why is Khun Sirote being hung for the Potjaman - Bannapot transaction? Somebody has to hang for no taxes being owed by the Shinawatra family for the SHIN sale, and who best but the guy that headed the Revenue Department at that time, regardless of the facts.

Sirote was Director General of the Revenue Dept at that time of Shin sale. I don't think they are trying to punish him for someone else's faults. I believe they are charging three other executives, too.

Plus, go back and read the article you have linked. This time read it objectively. Then show me how Khun Sirote did anything wrong.

The article tells about a letter sent by a Revenue Dept official to National Counter Corruption Commission. I presume that official had notified his superiors at IRD first but was ignored. At the time the article was published Sirote clearly knew about uncollected taxes (and certainly knew professionally that they should have been paid). I see no reason to question AEC investigation results if they found him guilty.

His name isn't even mentioned as it pertains to the year 2000 transaction for good reason. He wasn't even at the Revenue Dept. in year 2000.

I don't know if he had any position at IRD in 2000. If he was the Director at the time the question was raised and he avoided answering it, he should be responsible. I remember there was a case of a lawyer who set a similar transaction with his father and was taxed. He then took the matter to courts to expose IRD's double standards in Banapot-Pojamarn case but IRD quitely swept the matter under the carpet and returned the money.

Anyhow, people are very sceptical about "honest mistakes" by tax collectors helping Thaksin avoid paying taxes, especially after they have been found guilty.

AEC summons Pojaman, five others to hear charges against them

The Assets Examination Committee yesterday ordered six people involved in a controversial share transfer in 1997, including Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, the wife of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, to appear in person before the panel on January 4 to hear formal charges against them.

The AEC has mailed the orders to the six people, said Sak Korsaengruang, spokesman for the panel, after yesterday's meeting of its subcommittee charged with investigating the matter.

He said the letters also informed them that they had violated the Code of Revenue, a violation that carries a jail term of between three months and seven years and a fine ranging from Bt2,000 to Bt200,000.

Pojaman, her brother Bhanapot Damapong, and four others - including a domestic helper of the Shinawatra family - have been accused by the AEC of colluding in tax evasion.

The allegations stemmed from a share purchase in November 1997, when Bhanapot received 4.5 million shares of Shinawatra Computer and Communication worth Bt738 million from the maid Duangta Wongpakdi. Pojaman paid a Bt7.38-million purchase fee to the stock exchange.

The AEC has alleged that Pojaman paid for the purchase with an account-payee cheque to Duangta, and that the cheque was later deposited into an account in the name of Pojaman.

Meanwhile, a dispute continued yesterday between the AEC and the lawyers working for the Shinawatra family.

AEC member Kaewsan Atibodhi yesterday said the panel was empowered by an announcement of the coup-makers to seek punishment for Panthongtae and Pinthongta Shinawatra, children of Thaksin and Pojaman, if they failed to testify before the panel by next Wednesday, as had been ordered by the AEC.

Kaewsan said that in Announcement No 30 by the Council for Democratic Reform, the AEC had received authority from the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC).

Under the NCCC Act, anyone failing to abide by the anti-graft agency's order could face imprisonment of up to six months and a maximum fine of Bt10,000.

The Shinawatra family's legal adviser, Noppadon Pattama, had insisted that Panthongtae and Pinthongta would present their testimonies in writing rather than appearing in person before the AEC. He doubted the AEC had the authority of the NCCC over the matter in question.

Kaewsan said yesterday that the AEC would cite the law in exercising its power about the matter if the Shinawatra siblings failed to appear as ordered.

Panthongtae and Pinthongta were involved in the tax-free sale of Shin Corp shares held by Ample Rich Investments, their company registered in the British Virgin Islands, to Singapore's Temasek Holdings.

Source: The Nation - 23 December 2006

The Shinawatra family's legal adviser, Noppadon Pattama, had insisted that Panthongtae and Pinthongta would present their testimonies in writing rather than appearing in person

:o Surely , in person, both will contradict themselves at some point trying to explain that complicated scam in which they made no decisions whatsoever. They can thank that caring father of theirs. :D

Highlights of the week :Pojaman report goes to AEC

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) panel investigating the land purchase of Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, will today present its report to the AEC.

Pojaman bought the plot in 2003 from the Financial Institutions Development Fund, the government's financial-rescue arm. Under anti-graft laws, prime ministers and other Cabinet members, as well as their spouses, cannot enter into business contracts with the state.

11 face charges

The National-Counter-Corruption Commission (NCCC) is today scheduled to inform alleged wrongdoers of the charges against them relating to the Expressway and Rapid Transit Authority's Bt6.2-billion Bang Na-Bang Pakong-Bang Phli expressway scandals. The 11 alleged wrongdoers include former deputy prime minister Sukhavich Rangsitphol.

Shin Corp probe

On Wednesday, Thaksin's children, Panthongtae and Pinthongta, are due to testify in person to the Assets Examination Committee about their involvement in the tax-free sale of Shin Corp shares held by Ample Rich.

Budget readings

The National Legislative Assembly panel scrutinising the 2007 budget is to submit it for second and third readings on Wednesday. The panel has recommended trimming Bt5.574 billion from the budget earmarked for government agencies.

Source: The Nation - 25 December 2006

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) panel investigating the land purchase of Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, will today present its report to the AEC.

Pojaman bought the plot in 2003 from the Financial Institutions Development Fund, the government's financial-rescue arm. Under anti-graft laws, prime ministers and other Cabinet members, as well as their spouses, cannot enter into business contracts with the state.

11 face charges

The National-Counter-Corruption Commission (NCCC) is today scheduled to inform alleged wrongdoers of the charges against them relating to the Expressway and Rapid Transit Authority's Bt6.2-billion Bang Na-Bang Pakong-Bang Phli expressway scandals. The 11 alleged wrongdoers include former deputy prime minister Sukhavich Rangsitphol.

Shin Corp probe

On Wednesday, Thaksin's children, Panthongtae and Pinthongta, are due to testify in person to the Assets Examination Committee about their involvement in the tax-free sale of Shin Corp shares held by Ample Rich.

Budget readings

The National Legislative Assembly panel scrutinising the 2007 budget is to submit it for second and third readings on Wednesday. The panel has recommended trimming Bt5.574 billion from the budget earmarked for government agencies.

This is a good informative post for members who have been unable to keep up with the latest news.

Why not introduce an extended version at the beginning of the week, J.D. to include relevant issues if you or maybe Sriracha John can find the time.

Is it possible please ?

Sorry to put you both forward but you have proved your dedication on all related issues of the day and your gift for finding them.

( Just stating a fact T.Visa members ) :o

I,m sure it would be appreciated by all members.

marshbags :D:D

P.S.

I hope you enjoy today and stay safe over the holidays everyone.

Edited by marshbags

11 face charges

Shin Corp probe

Budget readings

This is a good informative post for members who have been unable to keep up with the latest news.

Why not introduce an extended version at the beginning of the week, J.D. to include relevant issues if you or maybe Sriracha John can find the time.

Is it possible please ?

Sorry to put you both forward but you have proved your dedication on all related issues of the day and your gift for finding them.

P.S.

I don't like to introduce an unseasonal note but I think Jai Dee already does an excellent job in providing TV with relevant press cuttings.What I particularly admire is that he doesn't force a particular view.In fact I don't even know what his position is in the various topics under debate - which is as it should be.

It's quite important in the provision of information that one dimensional, obsessive and one topic minded types should be discouraged.That's why I think we all value Jai Dee's fairminded service.

11 face charges

Shin Corp probe

Budget readings

Is it possible please ?

P.S.

I don't like to introduce an unseasonal note but I think Jai Dee already does an excellent job in providing TV with relevant press cuttings.What I particularly admire is that he doesn't force a particular view.In fact I don't even know what his position is in the various topics under debate - which is as it should be.

It's quite important in the provision of information that one dimensional, obsessive and one topic minded types should be discouraged.That's why I think we all value Jai Dee's fairminded service.

Oh! Ho! Ho! Y.H.

The integrities of both Jai Dee and Sriracha are more than able to provide such a facility on upcoming weekly events.

I took onboard J.D,s work load and S.J,s ability to locate and also provide us with the dairy.

I am suggesting a schedule here ( not comment ) and i am confident it will contain all important info without Bias.

I hope S.J. considers doing it to enable J.D. to do all the other important services he provides us with, in spite of where your comments are obviously directed.

I must say i kind of expected negative vibes from certain members who would always find fault in the intentions and positive imput of others.

No further comment is needed so in the spirit of christmas

Enjoy the seasons and stay safe for FAIR debate in the new year :D

marshbags :D

P.S.

JaiDee does dedicated news stories ( ALL STORIES ) and purposely doesn,t get into the debate of them.

S. J. provides news stories relevant to the debates and offers his observations as do most of us.

You of course are welcome to provide any news items you locate and offer / take part in their debate.

Positive and negative when applicable to the content of the O.P.

In my humble opinon as always and definitely without Bias

Edited by marshbags

11 face charges

Shin Corp probe

Budget readings

Is it possible please ?

P.S.

Oh! Ho! Ho! Y.H.

The integrities of both Jai Dee and Sriracha are more than able to provide such a facility on upcoming weekly events.

I took onboard J.D,s work load and S.J,s ability to locate and also provide us with the dairy.

I am suggesting a schedule here ( not comment ) and i am confident it will contain all important info without Bias.

I hope S.J. considers doing it to enable J.D. to do all the other important services he provides us with, in spite of where your comments are obviously directed.

I must say i kind of expected negative vibes from certain members who would always find fault in the intentions and positive imput of others.

P.S.

JaiDee does dedicated news stories ( ALL STORIES ) and purposely doesn,t get into the debate of them.

S. J. provides news stories relevant to the debates and offers his observations as do most of us.

You of course are welcome to provide any news items you locate and offer / take part in their debate.

I am making no comment given the festive season.The facts speak for themselves.

11 face charges

Shin Corp probe

Budget readings

Is it possible please ?

marshbags :D:bah:

P.S.

Oh! Ho! Ho! Y.H.

P.S.

I am making no comment given the festive season.The facts speak for themselves.

Any chance of making that a New Year Resolution?? :D

I don't know why exactly Pridiyatorn defended Sirote but many people objected to that right away. The Nation gave their own reason, and I'm sure it wasn't "because he is honest".

I'm not sure anyone believed in existence of this "new info". They were just making an excuse for not taking action earlier. What I AM sure of is that Sirote wouldn't have "changed his mind" if Thaksin was still in power, new info or not.

Sirote was Director General of the Revenue Dept at that time of Shin sale. I don't think they are trying to punish him for someone else's faults. I believe they are charging three other executives, too.

The article tells about a letter sent by a Revenue Dept official to National Counter Corruption Commission. I presume that official had notified his superiors at IRD first but was ignored. At the time the article was published Sirote clearly knew about uncollected taxes (and certainly knew professionally that they should have been paid). I see no reason to question AEC investigation results if they found him guilty.

I don't know if he had any position at IRD in 2000. If he was the Director at the time the question was raised and he avoided answering it, he should be responsible. I remember there was a case of a lawyer who set a similar transaction with his father and was taxed. He then took the matter to courts to expose IRD's double standards in Banapot-Pojamarn case but IRD quitely swept the matter under the carpet and returned the money.

Anyhow, people are very sceptical about "honest mistakes" by tax collectors helping Thaksin avoid paying taxes, especially after they have been found guilty.

Plus, you are confusing the cases. Khun Sirote has not been charged with anything relating to the SHIN sale. The children have been billed for taxes, but if the CNS sticks to the law as they said they would, they may well have to give the money back. As reported, the new info stated that the trades were outside of the SET and therefore capital gains taxes would be due. However, it has now been confirmed that the trades were done through the stock market, hence, no capital gains should be owing.

Khun Sirote has been charged as it relates to the 1997 transaction involving the Khunying, her maid and Dr. Thaksin's brother in law (Khun Bannapot). From all that has been reported, this looks like tax fraud. Once Dr. Thaksin was able to transfer shares of SHIN to his maid, etc., these shares had to get back into the family. To achieve this, money was given by the Khunying to Khun Bannapot (as a gift) who then purchased the shares from the maid who then gave the money back to the Khunying. It is interesting that the main issue is the gift to Dr. Thaksin's brother in law, while the maid's gift of a similar amount to the Khunying was, apparently, done tax free (the AEC is not contending that taxes are owed by the Khunying for the money received from the maid).

Although Dr. Thasin's government is thought to be one of the most corrupt government's this country has ever had, neither Khun Sirote nor any other Revenue department official is being accused of taking bribes or gaining in any way. Instead, their alleged fault is that they should have disallowed the "gift" and this is being viewed as criminal.

The bottom line is that the public wants to see the Revenue Department pay one way or another for not charging taxes on the SHIN sale, and the AEC is going to give them what they want, one way or another.

Revenue dept Siroj and five officials dismissed

Sub-committee on civil service agreed to fire Siroj Siriphanit as director general of the Revenue Department after he found guilty of negligence and malfeasance for failing to collect taxes from the purchases of Shin Corp by the family of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Five others officials of the department are also fired on the same charges. The order is to take effect within three days.

The sub-committee met Monday morning after the National Counter Corruption Commission recently found probable causes of malfeasance by Siroj Sawatphanich and five revenue officials related to tax exemption for the shares transfer of a brother-in-law of former prime minister Thaksin.

The full NCCC agreed with the report of a sub-committee and found probable causes to believe that Siroj and the five revenue officials had committed dereliction of duty for failing to collect taxes from Banaphot Damapong when receives shares which were transferred from Duangta Wongphakdee.

Duangta is a servant of Thaksin's wife, Pojaman Shinawatra

The bottom line is that the public wants to see the Revenue Department pay one way or another for not charging taxes on the SHIN sale, and the AEC is going to give them what they want, one way or another.

I see from Jai Dee's posting that the AEC has found a way to adjudge members of the Revenue Dept. guilty for non collection of taxes on the SHIN sale. At no time did the AEC charge the dismissed Revenue Dept. officials with taking bribes or gaining in any way. In addition, although the government has billed the children for taxes owing, it still has to be proven in court that taxes were owing and this may well be an uphill battle given the capital gains laws. Unless, of course, the government decides to interpret laws differently for this case.

While nobody ever likes revenue department people, to me, these careers have been wasted. A few weeks ago The Nation reported an informed source as saying that Khun Sirote was threatened by a very powerful, former minister. This is what I had heard as well. Sadly, these type of the things can't ever be proven, nor is there any inclination by this government to really get to the bottom of this case.

We'll wait and see what happens to Shin stock sale and whether Sirote will be charged with negligence of duty for that one, too.

I don't really want to know about bribes. The damage done to the country far outweighs any possible rewards for Sirote's negligence. Prime Minister's family dodging taxesa and country's top taxman covering up - this is not the image Thailand wants to project, this is not the example the richest businessmen should set.

The country will not go anywhere if everyone assumes the same attitude.

The week preview is published in The Nation every Monday, maybe Jai Dee never posted it as it's not really a news item.

Plus, you are confusing the cases. Khun Sirote has not been charged with anything relating to the SHIN sale. The children have been billed for taxes, but if the CNS sticks to the law as they said they would, they may well have to give the money back. As reported, the new info stated that the trades were outside of the SET and therefore capital gains taxes would be due. However, it has now been confirmed that the trades were done through the stock market, hence, no capital gains should be owing.

I guess I kinda missed this new evidence of the transaction occuring

through the stock market. does paying a broker registration fees

constitute a market transaction?

The original intent of tax-free capital gains on stock market transactions

was implemented to improve liquidity and hence help develop the stock

market. from my understanding this involved shares that were bought

AND sold in the market. someone with more access to the details of

the legislation might be able to confirm that an existing shareholder

could 'register' shares for sale and sell outside of an actual market

mechanism. if the market was actually involved, i doubt there

would have been such price differentials among the different stocks

involved in the sale.

either way, the spirit/intent of the law had clearly been violated. The

interpretation will be subjective. Som nam na Thaksin.

--dan

We'll wait and see what happens to Shin stock sale and whether Sirote will be charged with negligence of duty for that one, too.

I don't really want to know about bribes. The damage done to the country far outweighs any possible rewards for Sirote's negligence. Prime Minister's family dodging taxesa and country's top taxman covering up - this is not the image Thailand wants to project, this is not the example the richest businessmen should set.

The country will not go anywhere if everyone assumes the same attitude.

The week preview is published in The Nation every Monday, maybe Jai Dee never posted it as it's not really a news item.

Plus, you are proving my point. You are adopting the herd mentality that the guy that was DG of the Revenue Dept at the time that Dr. Thaksin et. al. sold SHIN to Temasek must be made to pay somewhere, somehow. Only Khun Sirote and the legal department of the Revenue Dept in 1997 have been axed as it relates to a 1997 transaction and none of these people were the "top taxman" as you put it. In fact, in a related transaction, a de-classified letter sent on Nov. 30, 2000 by Permanent Secretary for Finance Suparut Kawatkul to the National Counter Corruption Commission said that taxes should have been paid on a September 2000 SHIN share sale. Guess what? Khun Suparut was the DG of the Revenue Department (i.e. top taxman) and nothing has happened to him. Everything we are seeing against Khun Sirote is simply throwing the book at the guy who was in the wrong place in being DG of the Revenue Dept. when Dr. Thaksin et. al. sold SHIN to Temasek. Somebody has to pay from the Revenue Department and who best but the civil servant without political connections.

Please note that while you took offense earlier in the way I used the word gifted, the lead article on the front page of the Bangkok Post uses the word "gifted" similarly.

I guess I kinda missed this new evidence of the transaction occuring

through the stock market. does paying a broker registration fees

constitute a market transaction?

The original intent of tax-free capital gains on stock market transactions

was implemented to improve liquidity and hence help develop the stock

market. from my understanding this involved shares that were bought

AND sold in the market. someone with more access to the details of

the legislation might be able to confirm that an existing shareholder

could 'register' shares for sale and sell outside of an actual market

mechanism. if the market was actually involved, i doubt there

would have been such price differentials among the different stocks

involved in the sale.

either way, the spirit/intent of the law had clearly been violated. The

interpretation will be subjective. Som nam na Thaksin.

--dan

Dan, I am following this through the newspapers as most are. The "new" evidence was that the share transaction between Ample Rich and the kids was done outside of the SET, and therefore capital gains tax should apply. It was based on this new evidence provided to Khun Sirote that he switched his position and said that taxes were indeed due, despite his original contention in Jan. 2006 that no taxes were due. This switch didn't make him look good. The kids were then billed for the taxes. Recently, it was confirmed by the government entity responsible for this that the trades were done through the SET and this new info was not correct. Hence, Khun Sirote's original contention in Jan. 2006 would have been correct. Of course, this government can interpret the laws as they wish. I don't know about broker's commissions being paid, just that the government entity overseeing this confirmed the trades were done through the SET.

As it relates to the spirit of the law, all of us use this from time to time when people do something in compliance with the written law that we disagree with. The law is the law. It can be re-written to close the loopholes, but at the end of the day it is a bit weak for any of us to say that because the law should be re-written that a past transaction was illegal. It will be interesting to see how the ASC deals with this in court.

DPM Pridiyathorn is willing to cooperate with AEC on corruption case

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula has expressed his intention to cooperate with the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) in allowing the Financial Sector Restructuring Authority (FRA) to draft a complaint letter against Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, the wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin, in the 772-million-baht land deal in Ratchadapisek area with the FRA.

Minister Pridiyathorn said the Ministry of Finance and the Financial Institution Development Fund (FIDF) have not received the request document from the AEC yet. According to the committee, Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin was clearly at fault for violating the regulation of the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) after he disallowed state officials or his wife to enter a business transaction with the government unit in the case of bidding for four plots of land in the Ratchadapisek area.

As a result, the FRA could not send the complaint letter directly to the AEC unless the council has submitted the clarification letter first.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 December 2006

Bhanapot case: Revenue chief axed

The Finance Ministry yesterday fired Sirote Swasdipanich, the director-general of the Revenue Department, and four other senior officials for failing to collect tax from the family of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The five are to face charges of malfeasance and exempting tax collection under Articles 154 and 157 of the Criminal Law.

They are Sirote; Vichai Jungrakkiat, director-general of the State Enterprises Policy Office and former director of the Revenue Department's legal bureau; Moreerat Boonyasiri, director of the legal bureau; and legal officers Suchinda Saengchompu and Kulluedee Saengsayan.

They will also face disciplinary charges in accordance with the Civil Service Directive Act 1992, Articles 82, 85 and 98.

The National Counter-Corruption Commission (NCCC) has forwarded the investigation file to the Attorney-General for prosecution and to the Finance Ministry.

Deputy PM and Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula yesterday chaired a subcommittee at a civil service meeting to impose the penalties on the five officials after the NCCC accused them of failing in their duty to tax Bhanapot Damapong, brother in law of Khunying Pojaman, the wife of deposed PM Thaksin.

Pridiyathorn said the severe penalty would also cut their rights to a pension fund. The penalty will take effect within three days but they could appeal to the Civil Service Commission, he said.

Pridiyathorn expressed his personal sympathy but said the ministry had no other option due to the severe allegations made by the NCCC.

Deputy Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said the penalty was an historical case at the Finance Ministry, where many irregularities had occurred during the former Thaksin government.

He said the appointment of a new Revenue chief and head of the State Enterprise Policy Office will take place next month.

Bhanapot acquired 4.5 million shares in Shin Corp as a "gift" worth Bt738 million, for which Sirote and the four tax officials failed to collect tax.

The NCCC's decision followed the Assets Examination Committee's primary ruling in November that Bhanapot had to pay Bt546 million in tax for the Shin Corp shares he acquired in 1997 from a domestic helper of the Shinawatras.

A government official found guilty of malfeasance is subject to up to 10 years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt20,000.

Source: The Nation - 26 December 2006

Bhanapot case: Revenue chief axed

The Finance Ministry yesterday fired Sirote Swasdipanich, the director-general of the Revenue Department, and four other senior officials for failing to collect tax from the family of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said the penalty was an historical case at the Finance Ministry, where many irregularities had occurred during the former Thaksin government.

Source: The Nation - 26 December 2006

Someone needs to let the Deputy Finance Minister know that the Bhanapot case that Khun Sirote is allegedly involved with occurred in November, 1997. The Thai Rak Thai party wasn't even founded until July 1998, and the Thaksin government didn't come to power until the January 2001 elections.

Why are you so hung up on this Sirote guy? Why do you always call him Khun?

AEC has been investigating the matter for nearly three months now. Are you suggesting that they charged the wrong man and Sirote had nothing to do with it? No one, including Pridiyatorn, who initially contested Sirote's guilt, argues that anymore.

The timeline is confusing, it's true. However I posted quotes from Sirote himself showing that he WAS involved with covering Banapot share sale, though much later on. Perhaps it was his reaction to registered public complaints that put him in hot water. Prior to Director General he was a "senior adviser", and if he put his signature on paper absolving Pojamarn and Banapot, he should be held responsible. All the details should be in AEC files.

Re. Shin sale - it was known from the start that Ample Rich shares were not put through the stock market, Pin and Pan "bought" them directly for 1 baht each one day before Temasek sale. It was all over the news for months. If that is what he called "newly discovered evidence", than Sirote better plead insanity than ignorance.

Bangkok Post Today 29-12-06

Quote:-

COURTS / RULING SETS PRECEDENT

Lawyer wins share transfer tax battle

The Central Tax Court yesterday ruled in favour of tax lawyer Ruangkrai Leekitwattana who sued the Revenue Department for failure to tax him on a share transfer. Mr Ruangkrai told the court the department had come after him in 2002 for additional income tax over Bangkok Expressway Co Ltd shares he received from his father. The shares were transferred from his father outside the stock market.

He had paid the tax demanded, 21,350 baht, on June 18 and then lodged a complaint with a tax appeal committee, claiming that the department had acted illegally in demanding extra tax from him in the first place.

The committee rejected his complaint. Mr Ruangkrai said he had come to accept the committee's decision without any objection.

Later, however, a Bangkok revenue office informed him the shares his father gave him did not constitute a taxable income on his part. The office said he would not incur any tax obligation and later sent to Mr Ruangkrai a cheque refunding in full the tax he had earlier paid.

He maintained the refund contravened the law, saying it was right that he had been taxed. He accused a certain revenue official of acting to protect the interests of the politicians in power.

The case was being deliberated while then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was under fire after members of his family sold Shin Corp shares in a 73-billion-baht deal to Singapore's Temasek Holdings. The Shinawatras also did not pay tax on the transaction.

Mr Ruangkrai had cited the tax exemption applied in the Shinawatra share case to argue against a tax judgement ordering him to pay the tax on shares given to him by his father that were priced below market value.

He said the department had disallowed his claim that no tax liability had occurred as the shares had been received as a gift, seemingly a double-standard considering the ruling on the Shinawatra shares.

Yesterday, the court said the tax appeal committee's decision to reject the complaint had been final. The revenue office had no right to go against the panel's decision.

The court found the issuing of a refund cheque by the revenue office to be unlawful. The court ordered the Revenue Department to pay Mr Ruangkrai's legal fees of 2,000 baht.

Mr Ruangkrai said the verdict should help streamline the tax collection system.

''I am a good accountant who regularly pays tax. It is inappropriate to exploit an accounting loophole to take advantage of society,'' he said.

Unquote.

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else as i was unable to locate it.

This is great news and a very important ruling.

Respect due to Khun Ruangkrai Leekitwattana, especially as he took this action while Thaksin and his fellow pillages where in complete control at the time with no indication what so ever on what would happen in the future.

A refreshing change under the circumstances, one that stands out when you consider all the corrupt officials in the government of the day and right up to the forced intervention.

marshbags :o

Bangkok Post Today 29-12-06

Quote:-

COURTS / RULING SETS PRECEDENT

Lawyer wins share transfer tax battle

The Central Tax Court yesterday ruled in favour of tax lawyer Ruangkrai Leekitwattana who sued the Revenue Department for failure to tax him on a share transfer. Mr Ruangkrai told the court the department had come after him in 2002 for additional income tax over Bangkok Expressway Co Ltd shares he received from his father. The shares were transferred from his father outside the stock market.

He had paid the tax demanded, 21,350 baht, on June 18 and then lodged a complaint with a tax appeal committee, claiming that the department had acted illegally in demanding extra tax from him in the first place.

The committee rejected his complaint. Mr Ruangkrai said he had come to accept the committee's decision without any objection.

Later, however, a Bangkok revenue office informed him the shares his father gave him did not constitute a taxable income on his part. The office said he would not incur any tax obligation and later sent to Mr Ruangkrai a cheque refunding in full the tax he had earlier paid.

He maintained the refund contravened the law, saying it was right that he had been taxed. He accused a certain revenue official of acting to protect the interests of the politicians in power.

The case was being deliberated while then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was under fire after members of his family sold Shin Corp shares in a 73-billion-baht deal to Singapore's Temasek Holdings. The Shinawatras also did not pay tax on the transaction.

Mr Ruangkrai had cited the tax exemption applied in the Shinawatra share case to argue against a tax judgement ordering him to pay the tax on shares given to him by his father that were priced below market value.

He said the department had disallowed his claim that no tax liability had occurred as the shares had been received as a gift, seemingly a double-standard considering the ruling on the Shinawatra shares.

Yesterday, the court said the tax appeal committee's decision to reject the complaint had been final. The revenue office had no right to go against the panel's decision.

The court found the issuing of a refund cheque by the revenue office to be unlawful. The court ordered the Revenue Department to pay Mr Ruangkrai's legal fees of 2,000 baht.

Mr Ruangkrai said the verdict should help streamline the tax collection system.

''I am a good accountant who regularly pays tax. It is inappropriate to exploit an accounting loophole to take advantage of society,'' he said.

Unquote.

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else as i was unable to locate it.

This is great news and a very important ruling.

Respect due to Khun Ruangkrai Leekitwattana, especially as he took this action while Thaksin and his fellow pillages where in complete control at the time with no indication what so ever on what would happen in the future.

A refreshing change under the circumstances, one that stands out when you consider all the corrupt officials in the government of the day and right up to the forced intervention.

marshbags :o

Nice one.

311206_pers08.jpg

Shinawatra family facing woeful New Year

Several cases are being prepared by the Assets Scrutiny Committee against the former prime minister, his wife and his children

A Matichon editorial noted that the coming New Year's celebration may not be so joyous for the Shinawatra family, as the leader of the family, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has since the September 19 coup been forbidden by the Council for National Security (CNS) to return to Thailand. The family is also under intense public scrutiny because of charges that Thaksin abused his power while in government and sought to increase his already tremendous wealth.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/311206_Perspect...006_pers007.php