Phuket officials bust B10mn ‘recycled’ boat engine scheme

snoop1130

Phuket officials bust B10mn ‘recycled’ boat engine scheme
Darawan Naknakhon

post-249866-0-38008400-1463400728_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Customs officers and Marine Police have seized 44 boat engines and generators with an estimated value of B10 million after busting a scheme to sell old engines from foreign-flagged boats in Phuket without paying import duty.

The engines and generators were seized at Rassada Pier today (May 16), where officers also took into custody Chanwit Piyapanon, 43.

The operation was a joint-investigation by the Phuket Customs Office and Marine Police, explained Phuket Marine Police Chief Lt Col Panya Chaichana.

“Mr Chanwit has admitted that the items seized were in his possession,” Col Panya said.

“He now faces charges of illegally importing items without obtaining Customs clearance and avoiding paying import duties.”

The arrest and raid today followed two months of investigation, said Lt Col Prasert Srikhunrat, Chief of Region 8 Marine Police.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-bust-b10mn-recycled-boat-engine-scheme-57455.php#mZ3sjfqtEhA7Q5DT.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-16

The old recycled boat engine scam.

People avoiding tax. In Thailand of all places. Who would have thought.

I would put customs in third place in the corruption ladder, not second.

The police and army are doing everything to stop corruption I am sure.

The old recycled boat engine scam.

People avoiding tax. In Thailand of all places. Who would have thought.

I would put customs in third place in the corruption ladder, not second.

The police and army are doing everything to stop corruption I am sure.

Or at least on par with high ranking monks.

Are they sure the engines are not a decoy for the importation of second hand plastic wrapping?

Edited by Reigntax

" The arrest following two months of investigating" meaning two months of negotiations of how much the bribe money to be paid to customs officials.".OK Mr. Chanwit, times up we need money for our new Mercedes or we take the engines and sell them our self's"..

Edited by sanukjim

" The arrest following two months of investigating" meaning two months of negotiations of how much the bribe money to be paid to customs officials.".OK Mr. Chanwit, times up we need money for our new Mercedes or we take the engines and sell them our self's"..

On that very point, it would be most interesting to track the engines from this point on and see what happened to them.

I have heard of a way of importing used engines from Malaysia by road and avoiding taxes by declaring them as scrap iron. The cost is apparently about 5000 baht per engine direct to the head customs official at the border post. I understand no receipts are given.