white tooth fillings

phka

Does anyone know about white tooth fillings, i keep getting them done in thailand but they never seem to last more than a few weeks, even though i live on soft baby type food they still keep falling off, i had one done in the uk 30 years ago and its still good more expensive there but if they last its worth it, is it because they use different materials here or is it because they dont know what they are doing.

it means a crown now every time

I hear what you are saying, I always request White Tooth Fillings, but they always fob me off with dark fillings..., but why can't they invent White Fillings, so much nicer.....

the dark ones are amalgam supposed to be a bit toxic my recent one is one of the two front ones so needs to be white

What Types of Filling Materials Are Available?

Today, several dental filling materials are available. Teeth can be filled with gold; porcelain; silver amalgam (which consists of mercury mixed with silver, tin, zinc, and copper); or tooth-colored, plastic, and materials called composite resin fillings. There is also a material that contains glass particles and is known as glass ionomer. This material is used in ways similar to the use of composite resin fillings.

ferk that I got some implants ( in the Uk where there is accountability) best things ever, Id have my whole face done if i had the time......teeth..bane of my life

Ive had white fillings for years they last ok but all done in the UK

All my filling in Thailand use the white material and have lasted just as long as ones i had done overseas, are you using a cheap dentist by any chance ?

Is this an anti Thai rant?

I have had white fillings done years ago, 400 baht per filling, they are as good today as the day they were done.

As said fillings done here should be no different than anyplace else and those I have had have lasted fine - but dentist needs to shape the hole to hold the filling and not all cavities can be successfully done so there is the crown option.

I hope the OP is not getting his white fillings done by the guy who travels from area to area doing dental work for really cheap...cheap even by Thai standards. That dental work just don't last...my Thai in-laws have told me stories of some that dental work...story lines how the filling fell out within weeks...the dental bridge broke after a month...etc...etc.

But the dental work the wife and I have had here in Bangkok at our local dental office is definitely quality work...no problems like white fillings falling out.

The durability of a filling is largely contingent on the preparation of the tooth. This is where the skill and experience of the dentist comes in. He/ she needs to prepare the site with the drill to ensure good support, adhesion and anchoring of the filling material. This is even more critical with white (ceramic or porcelain) filling materials. Metals like gold and amalgam are more physically compatible with the tooth material, as they expand and contract in changing temperatures, at similar rates.