will my MacbookAir work without a battery?

watcharacters

I fired up an old 2009 Air the other day and found it's still working although the battery died long ago so there is no stored charge.

Long story about not getting a battery replacement so I'll skip that.

The battery has started to expand and force the case open several inches in the front. I'm not concerned so much about that but I don't want to tempt fate with an explosion.

My question is does anyone know if the Air will continue to perform as it currently does if the battery is totally removed from the laptop?

I would guess it'd be OK but I'm not certain.

TIA

Yes, but processor speed will slow. Have a look at Lazada, they might sell batteries. Can't be any worse than the Apple ones, who buy their batteries in anyway.

Thanks daveAustin,

Done and dusted as our Brit friends say. I took it to a local place today where I'd gone in the past and the fellow removed the battery on the spot.

From start to finish, it took probably 15 - 18 minutes. He needed to use three different screw driver sizes none of which I had. Then to my surprise when he screwed it together again, the case went back into its original shape. As I said it was racked in the front to the point where it wouldn't even close. Almost looks new now.

This model is one where the hinges are not strong. The screen support is only two one inch hinges on either side of a roller. Apple already replaced the screen once due to it being extremely loose.

Now the kicker is this. Two years ago I took the same lap to an iService shop which is an authorized apple repair/reseller and was told it wasn't possible to get a replacement battery for my 2009 model. Well I asked these people today who are located close to the former iService and the lady clerk took less than a minute to tell me they could get a battery for 4500 thb and it would likely arrive in 3 days. I really can't understand why iService didn't want to order and replace said battery. But I do know they're no longer in that location for over a year now. They may have moved to Bangkok. I forget what their sign on the front said.

After he was finished the fellow today said no charge but that doesn't work for me, I first asked the Missus to give him 100 thb then said make it 150. By the time I got in the car and we started to drive off, I wish I'd have given him a simple 200. Enough for him and his co worker to buy lunch. Next time.

And thankfully for what I use it, it seems fast enough.

All's well that ends well..