Teeth Braces

Johnniey

I took one of my kids to the dentist yesterday and was told she needed braces.

It seems to me that dentists here suggest braces much more than in the UK. I'm suspicious that he's just wanting the money. It seems a lot, 35,000 baht. I know a second opinion would be wise and am going to get one but was wondering if anyone out there has any advice regarding whether or not a 14 year old needs braces and for how long they should be worn. I've known kids to wear them for over 5 years here!

The price seems normal.

Difficult to make a comparison between private orthodontic treatment in Thailand and the options available on the (British) NHS. In the UK around 'a third of 12-year-olds would benefit from some degree of orthodontic treatment.'[1] However, the actual figure of children receiving treatment on the NHS is lower due to high demands and long waiting lists.

Yes, you should get at least a second opinion, if you think the suggested treatment is inappropriate.

Edited by Morakot

My friend paid 84K for German "Damon) type, of braces, this did include 4 teeth being removed, as the mouth was "Crowded", also one "Impacted" tooth was removed, it took about two years, to correct very badly aligned teeth back into a perfect shape. That was with the BPH. the transformation was amazing.

14 years is a perfectly fine age for braces if they are indicated. the main issue in timing of braces is to make sure the 12-year molars have fully erupted first, which by 14 they usually have.

Whether braces are indicated, obviously depends on your child's teeth and how much non-alignment/overbote there is.

Braces are usually worn for about 2 years.