Learning to dive on a budget - any advice?

hereami

Hi folks, hoping for some advice from any diving enthusiasts out there. I live and work in Laos but will be visiting Phuket with my family in August (not great for diving, I know, but it is what it is). Finances are on the tight side but I would love to take a basic scuba diving course if possible. That said, I'd rather not die trying to get a good deal. Any advice on the cheapest high-quality dive companies there? Any of them do discounts for low season? Any other advice you'd give? Another option is just going snorkeling, which would have the advantage of being something my kids could do too, but I hear that's not great in August. Thanks in advance!

For beginners and snorkelers conditions are good in August, because we can go to the east side of Racha Yai. And that is where the best conditions are.

In general diving here is not cheap, because most of the diveschools stick to the regulations regarding permits, workpermits, insurance etc, plus the divesites are relatively far away. A one day diving experience would be around 4,500 Baht, a divecourse from around 12,950 Baht. Check out the options to do an SSI course, that will save you some money compared to PADI for virtually the same course. Also SSI is more advanced with online learning options.

If the 13,000 baht is tough at the moment I'd recommend saving your Kip until you're comfortable with the right price for the right course. Read reviews and ask here again at that time.

I think the scuba business is fairly price competitive and I'd worry where the discounters were saving their Baht.

Snorkeling is great and you'll have a ball with the family. Wear lightweight long sleeved and legged clothing when out there. Many a trip has been spoiled by sunburn on the 1st day.

For beginners and snorkelers conditions are good in August, because we can go to the east side of Racha Yai. And that is where the best conditions are.

In general diving here is not cheap, because most of the diveschools stick to the regulations regarding permits, workpermits, insurance etc, plus the divesites are relatively far away. A one day diving experience would be around 4,500 Baht, a divecourse from around 12,950 Baht. Check out the options to do an SSI course, that will save you some money compared to PADI for virtually the same course. Also SSI is more advanced with online learning options.

Just out of interest - I did my PADI Open Water in Phuket some years ago and agree that Racha Yai is a great place to do it.

Does the SSI certificate carry as much weight internationally as PADI though?

To the OP: I did a bit of diving then decided that "having been there and done that", snorkeling is just easier, way cheaper and nearly as much fun. The techniques and safety issues i learnt from my PADI course are still useful when I snorkel - this of course is just my opinion...YMMV smile.png

Oh and no disrespect to Stevenl, whom i do not know, but whilst most of the dive schools on Phuket may be reputable, be aware, if you do decide to use one, that the cheapest option may not be the safest. Do remember that your life is in their hands and that done wrongly, diving is a very dangerous sport. Done correctly and competently, it's challenging and thrilling.

SSI is becoming more popular worldwide, lots of dive schools crossing over to this..

PADI is inferior training and just legalized pyramid selling...

I presume by SSI you mean this organisation? https://www.divessi.com/

I admit to being behind the times but if one has a PADI card, can one go to an SSI dive shop and take a diving trip as a qualified diver at the equivalent level, or do SSI insist on you retraining?

There is an equivalence chart on the website (attached) that implies the former.

I do realise that after some years away from diving, one needs a refresher course but i'd hate to think that my PADI card would limit me to PADI clubs, IF I wanted to dive again.

SSI_Equivalence_Chart_ENG.pdf

PADI is fine to dive with, I'm an instructor, haven't dived for years, really you need to check if you have a hole in the heart using an contrast ECG pre diving. You won't know there's an issue until you get the bends. I guess no one will check so the alternative is hoping or praying.

You should just go snorkelling. It's far more rewarding. I personally cannot understand this obsession with scuba. Where there is clear water and beautiful corals, scuba is unnecessary. You can snorkel all day without having to come up to get a new tank of air for which you have to pay a hefty price. You'll see far more fish snorkelling, than you will scuba because the air bubbles frighten the fish away.
You could learn to free dive like I did. I could eventually get down to hundred feet and stay down 5 minutes. It's really exhilarating and very healthy.
I personally dislike the use of scuba having to swim with this cumbersome apparatus on my back. But I had to use it while I was certifying scuba instructors in Thailand in the early sixties, since then I have never used it, and enjoyed being a free diver.

The idea that one agency is better than the other is so old and totally incorrect. CMAS, SSI, PADI, NAUI and the others are all more or less the same. One is bigger, one is more advanced with online options, but in essence the differences are not that big.

They are all worldwide recognized, doing training with one will allow diving with the other. The quality will depend on the instructor.

I will assume that "learning to dive" means that you want to get basic PADI certification. This however requires time and is not cheap, especially in Thailand. If you do not plan to continue with SCUBA, then find a PADI certified at one of the big hotels and take the "hotel" course; some pool time and a walk in beach dive. Keep in mind that diving is not a cheap sport generally; it is also technical and requires that you understand the physics of what is going on with pressure and your body. You also need to know what to do in minor emergencies, like losing your mask, or not being able to equalize. All of this takes a good instructor and time.

VBF/Gamini etc have it spot on.

Diving is fun, but all the hassle and kit and safety ------- and the rest.

We did it all, PADI, Maldives, West Indies, Gili (off Lombok) and so on - but in the end, snorkelling is sooooooo much easier, safer - and pretty well often as much fun. We (memsahib et mwah) will never dive again.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Actually our original plan had been to take the kids snorkeling but I was led to believe that this is not feasible (or at least practical) during august with children due to monsoons. Was this incorrect? If so do you have any recommended places for a half-day or full-day trip where currents are mild enough for children? (They can all swim.) Thanks!!

Don't believe all this rubbish about one agency being better than the other.

PADI is the largest by a long long way but as long as you get a course from a reputable agency you will be able to dive anywhere.

Don't cut corners due to budget, the best dive shops usually have the best instructors.

Remember it is the instructor that teaches you, not the shop, get the open water wrong and you will never be a good diver or it will take a long time to correct the mistakes from a bad instructor.

Most agencies now have Online learning which saves you a day in a classroom and is slightly cheaper.

If you are limited then indeed go snorkeling.

Remember snorkeling is like looking at an aquarium, diving is like being in the aquarium.

If I was you I'd go to Koh Tao instead of Phuket.

I did my SSI OW course on Koh Tao with Master Divers. Koh Tao is several thousand Baht cheaper than anywhere else in Thailand. I paid 8900 Baht for it. SSI is great because the courses are more flexible, it's cheaper because you don't have to buy the manuals which saves you 1000 Baht per course, plus you can do the theoretic stuff online at home beforehand which saves you a day or two, which you can then spend on dives.

Koh Tao is in my opinion simply the best in terms of prices. Anywhere else in Thailand you pay at least 12500. On Koh Tao you get your course and accommodation for a week, or your course and at least 4 more dives for the same money.

Master Divers is very close to the main pier and a great diving school! I can't say enough good things about them!

Archived