And he called me 'Ting Tong'!

I was out walking my dog the other day, a Black Lab spayed bitch of 27kgs. She is on a short (30cm) lead so is always at my heel. She likes to carry her Frisbee in her mouth as she walks. We play Frisbee when we get to an undeveloped plot.

On the way back we had to pass an open fronted Thai restaurant in which were seated a few Farang having beer. Out ran two dogs barking, snarling, and generally threatening me and my dog. My dog as usual was unfazed (she didn't even drop the Frisbee) by all this and wanted to carry on. I waved my walking stick, which I always take with me when walking my dog, at the two ferocious hounds and they backed off. One of the Farangs shouted something at the attacking dogs then looked at me and said "Ting Tong".

Rather off topic, but as well as a big stick, you might consider carrying a few pebbles in your pocket. Take one out, crouch to the ground as if you're picking something up, then threaten to throw it. I find that dogs will then usually back off. Occasionally you may need actually to throw the stone. By the time a dog is close enough for you to hit it with a stick, it's way too close.

Only farangs (and bar girls?) seem to use this expression. Never heard it in over 25 years although it keeps popping up here.

It would seem to indicate that the foreign gents had probably attended a Thai Language Training Facility that involved pool tables and vertical poles on a raised floor.

No doubt they heard this term used whenever their scantily clad teachers addressed them. "Oi! Ting Tong!"

Their near perfect grasp of the intricacies and tones also makes them think that when tee-ruk calls them 'dark-ling' they believe the lasses are saying 'darling' cutely.

Rather off topic, but as well as a big stick, you might consider carrying a few pebbles in your pocket. Take one out, crouch to the ground as if you're picking something up, then threaten to throw it. I find that dogs will then usually back off. Occasionally you may need actually to throw the stone. By the time a dog is close enough for you to hit it with a stick, it's way too close.

Get a couple of steaks and tie them around the dudes necks. Do post video.

Its obvious from the OP that his dog wasn't bothered, so the other dogs were just showing off rather than being genuinely aggressive.

The Westerners are just the stereotypical, stupid Westerners who think they know a little of the Thai language and want to show off their 'linguistics' biggrin.png - and its best to ignore them, just as your dog ignored the other dogs.

Its obvious from the OP that his dog wasn't bothered, so the other dogs were just showing off rather than being genuinely aggressive.

The Westerners are just the stereotypical, stupid Westerners who think they know a little of the Thai language and want to show off their 'linguistics' biggrin.png - and its best to ignore them, just as your dog ignored the other dogs.

Jing lor??biggrin.png

Edited by andrew55

Jing lor??biggrin.png

...bar...bark...barking...bar king

I've never come across this phrase - i I skipped the 'bar girl Thai' module. What is it supposed to mean?

The module that you skipped is very important. I had to repeat a couple of times myself.

Expensive, but an important learning experience (read- 'error') but good for your snooker skills and 'alcohol tolerance' (read- 'alcohol dependancy' according to my EX-doctor) An 'initiation' I would dare to suggest.

Do check the link I previously gave and and don't use the term I'd suggest. You'd look lower than two lizards arm-wrestling.

Generally, Thais will expect better of a relatively educated foreigner..

My alcohol tolerance doesn't need any help, believe me.

Alcohol dependency?

EDIT - Sorry. That was my ex-doctor hacking my I account again. Ignore comment. He's a troll.

You and I know we only drink socially, whether it be with friends or alone.

Edited by andrew55

I've never come across this phrase - i I skipped the 'bar girl Thai' module. What is it supposed to mean?

its from "LITTLE BRITAIN" david wallams supposed thai GF. TING TONG.

seems it came from a couple of brits with "LITTLE BRAINS" while sat on their bar stools.

Edited by meatboy

its from "LITTLE BRITAIN" david wallams supposed thai GF. TING TONG.

seems it came from a couple of brits with "LITTLE BRAINS" while sat on their bar stools.

what a series,the best since SPITTING IMAGE.

wasnt it matt lucas that played TING TONG so funny.

i got the whole series.

The time taken in removing stone out of pocket, crouching down, pretending to pick up something, threaten to throw it, would have had these dogs on top of me and my dog. This kind of attack by pets on the loose as well as stray/street dogs has happened many times and only a few times have they continued to approach my waving stick close enough to receive a sharp wallop on the snout or back which has sent them packing tail between legs.

Once I was threatened by an angry dog's angry owner for hitting his dog. 'Go ahead' I said 'call the police, they will be very interested to know that you allow your vicious dog loose on the street.' He backed off and then until he moved chained his dog.

The time taken in removing stone out of pocket, crouching down, pretending to pick up something, threaten to throw it, would have had these dogs on top of me and my dog. This kind of attack by pets on the loose as well as stray/street dogs has happened many times and only a few times have they continued to approach my waving stick close enough to receive a sharp wallop on the snout or back which has sent them packing tail between legs.

Once I was threatened by an angry dog's angry owner for hitting his dog. 'Go ahead' I said 'call the police, they will be very interested to know that you allow your vicious dog loose on the street.' He backed off and then until he moved chained his dog.

I doubt it, as your dog wasn't bothered.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill about this incident.

There are rarely (I can count the incidents on one finger over the last 10 years) when it is genuinely a problem. As your post was largely about being called 'ting tong', I'm pretty sure this wasn't one of those incidents.

Edited by dick dasterdly

I doubt it, as your dog wasn't bothered.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill about this incident.

There are rarely (I can count the incidents on one finger over the last 10 years) when it is genuinely a problem. As your post was largely about being called 'ting tong', I'm pretty sure this wasn't one of those incidents.

You doubt WHAT?

Thank you for adding to the mountain.

Meaningless post.