My early ownership comments on the Yamaha R3

JAFO

^^ Thanks.

I'm edging towards the CBR500.

Although close, I think the low end torque makes it okay for the in town riding, and it is obviously more comfortable and more suited to the highway riding. 

I think that this advantage of the 500 is bigger than the in town advantage of the R3. 

On 2/27/2017 at 1:20 PM, DLang said:

I'd be looking at comfortable cruising at 155-160kph for 1-2 hours, when on the highway. Any comments on how the R3 is at this? comfortable/uncomfortable. 

Thanks. 

So you want to cruise at 155kph for 1-2 hrs? LOL. Good Luck with that in these parts.

FWIIW I wouldn't do that on the R3 but then again I wouldn't be on a open flat highway for that many kms. At that speed the R3 would be pulling 10K plus RPM and for 1-2 hrs is like an endurance run. I have no idea what R's you will pull on a 500 at that speed. I have had my R3 at sustained speeds of 130kms for about 20 to 30 minutes until I run into a town or a police check point. For me I can ride the R3 for appx 150kms or so before I need to stop or rest. Extremely easy to ride which makes the rider less tired but the R3 was not built or designed to be a long haul cruiser. Its a canyon carver sport bike. Sounds like your making the right choice with the CBR500 based on your style and expectations. Its sits high and upright. this position suits the highway riders.

Good Luck 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

2017 yzf-r3.

42 hp, 2 cylinders 321 cc

1989 zxr-400

62 hp.

4 cylinders, 398cc (68cc more on double the cylinders)

Absolutely insanely good road handling, rock solid chassis.

Somehow time is moving backwards, almost 30 years down the drain and counting.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:13 AM, DLang said:

Will you be getting a dyno when it has the full pipe, air filter and fuel controller set up?

Id be very interested to see it.

Yes I will DLang, if I can find a place. In fact I would like to find a place and spend a day tuning a MAP. The one I downloaded is some guessing and I haven't installed the PC5 yet so its all a complete unknown at this juncture

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

I have a CBR 300 R looking to move up to the CB 500X.

When I was looking for my next bike, went to Pop and rented a bunch. Versys 650, 500X, CB650F. Found the 500X to be down on power quite a bit compared to the others.

R3 its normal if you not more 170 cm tall and not more 70 kg( so for children) if 180cm and up and 90 kg and up its discomfort and moped not GO... in mountainsIf you competent ofcouse you can ride moped for children or for guus who start drive.
No slipper clutch
Non-adustabke front fork.
Sport bike? [emoji6]
Yes its moped look as sport bike. And yes this is moped can give some fun.
Company need make money. So do it.
And for Thailand its not very usable.
In the city is slow slow traffic and requires sharp turns in the lane.
So niked(street) bike or moped be much better. I am even not talking about small scooter.
in the mountains a lot of steep descent, and Wake up. This scooter is not very good engine braking. and obviously do not have the power to feel confident on the steep hillup road in mountains an normal adult male of 90 kg.
PS
Try RC390 its much more better on track for children;)
Or duke 390 much better for Thai road. Or even duke 200.
Duke 690 ...?

A moped is usually max 50 cc and has pedals so as the R3 is 320 cc and does not have pedals I don't see how you can call it a moped!!
I ride an R3 and with my gf have ridden many trips around Thailand and have found that the R3 is great even on the climbs and is also great in bkk traffic so a very good fit for me
The extra weight of any luggage when traveling is not an issue for us as my gf has a Z300 so she carries her own stuff lol
I would agree that it is a great "entry" bike but to be honest at the moment I don't feel the need to step up
I don't find that riding long distances a problem, I'm 6 ft tall and am around 80 kg but have never felt uncomfortable riding for any distance
Im enjoying the post and to all you fellow bikers out there "enjoy and stay safe" what ever your chosen ride is

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 1:20 PM, DLang said:

I'd be looking at comfortable cruising at 155-160kph for 1-2 hours, when on the highway. Any comments on how the R3 is at this? comfortable/uncomfortable. 

Thanks. 

Sorry but where do you plan to drive 2hrs at 160km/h on a highway in Thailand ...

Bikes = no tollways and on "highways" = stick to the left lanes or pay 400 THB, anyway i don't even know how we call call these mains roads "highways".

Best case you open the throttle a couple of minutes and just pray for nobody to make a savage god save the queen u-turn right in your face (which are usually every 1km on highways).

But anyway, definitely the CB500 is much more comfortable compared to the R3 or ninja due to the riding position which is not torturing your back and arms at every seconds. The taller you are the worst it's gonna be for you to be riding a R3 or Ninja.

Some people say it's a good bike (CB500), i tried it and i found it slow as hell with no soul, no charisma, also i hated the ABS system which i found to be triggered way too early, i felt like the wheels were going to jump out every time i was breaking. I don't know if it was just bad luck or if this problem was solved on later versions (i tried it like 2-3 years ago).

The best all around big but not too big bike you can find around here is the CB400 VTEC or Revo, nimble as hell, and a true lovely soul, impressive power too for a 400CC (stock is like 57HP with a few mods you can hit 60+HP, especially with the carbs one), excellent ridding position, exceptionally well balanced and very low ground clearance.

Only one thing i wish it had better stock shock and fork springs which i found way too soft for thailand's roads.

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

That's going to be one lovely light and nimble piece of fun. 

Well done. :thumbsup:

Well HG, It is what it is. Have to keep in mind that it isn't a top flight liter bike with the best tech like an R1 but if one enjoys it as such then it is quite fun and doesn't kill the pocket book.

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Honestly I haven't spent much at all. The cost of what I have put in it (Including original moto purchase) will not exceed 200K bht however that aside and more importantly I am doing it for the fun of it. I like messing around with things. I considered bigger bikes initially but did not want to plunk out the cash as it not a primary mode of transpo and I wanted to play around on a smaller CC bike. My YZF is now down to probably 350lbs wet versus the 465 wet of the Honda and is narrower in width. It just makes the lil thing fun to ride up in the mountains and even easier in traffic.

Don't get me wrong, the 650F is a nice moto (albeit I have always been a Yamaha owner). 

Cheers

Aha it's fine i was just playing around !

Just by curiosity if you wana tell, how much does the full system leo vincy cost ? i guess it's somewhere around 20K ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Jafo, 

So, how's the R3 doing? 

I also got one withe full line, hf air filter and pcv. 

Did you get a good map for it? I noticed leaner fuel goes better as we are in a hot and humid country. 

Did you change the tires? Those Michelin are bad. Went down on the track. Got some irc 003, a pure joy. 

Here's the bike waiting for more upgrades ;)

Cheers 

IMG_20170613_183116.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...