Bus schedule Koh Samui to Hat Yai

Hi! Try checking out the schedules for the bus and ferry packages from Samui to Hat Yai here www.ferrysamui.com/ferry-schedule.html I used FerrySamui several times before and never had any problems. They offer the lowest ferry prices and are partnered with reliable buses and ferries. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Update after some investigation, there's only one big bus service to Hat Yai, twice a day. All other offers are by minibus/van.

and which service is that ....or are you going to keep it a secret! ?tongue.png

i thought Raja ferry had one, but wanted to check first wink.png

Sorry Jimmy, that will be Hat Yai Malay service, and they do use the Raja service indeed.
Toilet onboard, reclining seats (well, on one bus) takes 6 hours from Don Sak to Hat Yai bus station or other way around. I though it was comforatble enough, although seating space is a bit on the small side for a Westerner. On both trips to/from, the bus was not crowded so I could use two seats easily.

I bought my ticket at the big station at the entrance of Nathon, coming from Maenam but you can buy tickets at the bus station in Nathon (the road to the Government hopsital, right hand side, or same road where immigration is, further downm the road, opposite side of road). Bus left bus terminal at 7.30am for the 8am ferry. There are two buses per day.

Sorry Jimmy, that will be Hat Yai Malay service, and they do use the Raja service indeed.

Toilet onboard, reclining seats (well, on one bus) takes 6 hours from Don Sak to Hat Yai bus station or other way around. I though it was comforatble enough, although seating space is a bit on the small side for a Westerner. On both trips to/from, the bus was not crowded so I could use two seats easily.

I bought my ticket at the big station at the entrance of Nathon, coming from Maenam but you can buy tickets at the bus station in Nathon (the road to the Government hopsital, right hand side, or same road where immigration is, further downm the road, opposite side of road). Bus left bus terminal at 7.30am for the 8am ferry. There are two buses per day.

If you don't like mini buses, and doing a visa run, there is a new train service Hat Yai to Padang Besar (Malaysia). Very comfortable aircon rail car, leaves at 7:30, returns at 9:50, or leaves at 13:05 returns 15:35. Cost is B80 each way.

Both ways, links up with Malaysian train, so immigration staff on hand for stamps.

IF, and its a bloody big if, the 8:15 train from Surat arrives at Hat Yai as scheduled, possible to do 3 connecting trains to Penang in one day. Train from Hat Yai gets to Padang at 15:00 (malaysia time) and there is either a Kommuter diesel rail car (RM11+) at 15:15 or an ETS service at 16:15 (RM29). The Kommuter was as full as a fat girl's sock, standing room only, and rattled along. the gold service was literally that, top notch, well worth the wait and extra dosh. 140km/h cruising, but still stops at every station, so not that much faster.

I rode to Hat Yai, but interested to know if the Surat - Hat Yai is running to schedule. If anybody uses it please give a report.

http://www.train36.com/ets-timetable.html

http://www.train36.com/penang-padang-besar-komuter-train.html

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2016 at 7:21 AM, limbos said:

Quick update - hope it's in time . . . .  ;-)

No longer ticket sales at the Nathon bus station. Need to go to the Lipa Noi ('new') bus station. Had Yai Thai Malay 2011 (or something!) big VIP bus leaves there at 7.30 am. Can't buy a ticket over the internet. Cash over the counter only.

There's a problem leaving your car / m'bike though - can't leave it at the bus station.

So I take my car direct to the Raja terminal at Lipa Noi and park it there for a coupla days. Then take the ferry and jump on the bus when it pulls over at Donsak and do what all the Thais do - simply pay on the bus. (Do NOT do this at peak holiday times unless you want to stand up all the way to Had Yai . . . )

Coming back is a hassle as the 2 mini buses ( Pantihp company, 8:00 am and 10:30) from Had Yai bus station go to Seatran at Donsak then on to the ferry pier at Nathon. But if you ask for a ticket to Donsak only and tell the bus driver you want to go to Raja ferry, there's no problem, he'll drop you off on the way.

The other option is the big VIP coach (Had Yai Thai Malay 2011 (or something) that leaves Had Yai at 11.30 am (and goes via Raja ferry to Lipa Noi.)  But it sometimes misses the last ferry at 6:00 pm meaning an overnight stay in Donsak.

ALSO - be aware that sometimes one of the early mini buses might not run for some reason - so always aim for the first one at 8:00 am.

Also note that the lady who sells the tickets for the (Panthip) early mini buses is only in the ticket window between 7.30 am and 10.30 am - meaning you can't buy an advance ticket the day before unless between these times. (But if you do, check the date on the ticket - she gets totally confused selling tickets in advance!)

Archived