Thailand now has 500,000 stroke patients

rooster59

Thailand now has 500,000 stroke patients

Nattakorn Ploddee

NONTHABURI, 20 May 2016 (NNT) – Strokes are on the rise in Thailand, with the latest figures reaching 500,000 people. The general public are encouraged to immediately seek medical attention should any indicative symptoms begin to show, says the DMS.

The Department of Medical Services’ (DMS) Director-General Suphan Srithamma has said the number of stroke patients in Thailand has constantly increased. Figures are currently at 500,000 persons, while the fatality rate is three deaths per one hour.

He has said that treatment for strokes will depend on the type of disease, severity of condition, and the duration each patient has suffered from this symptom. The sooner the patient receives treatment the lower their risk of death becomes.

Stroke patients must also receive continuous treatment and obey all instructions from their doctors.

Symptoms of stroke include the inability to speak, weakened or numb limbs, blurry vision or blindness at one of the eyes, seeing composite or overlapping picture, acute headache, confusion, headache, and the loss of balance. Persons experiencing these symptoms are encourage to immediately seek medical attention.

Risk factors that could contribute to strokes include hypertension, smoking, diabetes, heart disease, high blood fat, ageing, stress, obesity, alcohol consumption, and the lack of exercise.

Strokes have a fatality rate of 20 percent, and those that survive may be inflicted with some sort of disability at a rate of 30 percent, while 50 percent will experience difficulty in speaking and communicating. Only 20 percent of survivors are lucky enough to make a full recovery.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-21 footer_n.gif

I thought that figure seemed high but according to another website, Australia, with roughly a third of the population, had almost 440,000 people living with the effects of strokes in 2015.

My Thai father-in-law suffered a severe stroke a couple of years ago. Had plenty of warning signs with high BP, a smoker, a drinker, a diet high in sodium. He was on BP medication which he hardly ever took despite everyone warning him of what could happen. Amazed he survived albeit with a large piece taken out of his skull. The only thing in his favour was he was lean and active. It's continues to be a struggle to keep him on track. A couple of other Thai men I know who survived a stroke continue to drink, smoke and eat badly. They are not interested in changing their lifestyle even if it means they will die earlier than they should.

Thailand, the Thai people - lifestyle, jobs, food, occupations - has changed dramatically in the last 20 years.

The affluent sector is pretty much Western now and this "middle class" is growing very fast - as is the waistline, cholesterol, blood pressure etc etc.

Welcome to the Western World Thailand..

Anyone got a spare pack or 2 of statins?

"Risk factors that could contribute to strokes include hypertension, smoking, diabetes, heart disease, high blood fat, ageing, stress, obesity, alcohol consumption, and the lack of exercise."

Considering the number of overweight children driving their motorbikes from the sugar syrup drink stands, to 7-Eleven for a Slushy and chemical laden/high sodium snacks, then back home where they add sugar to whatever high sodium meal was prepared for them, expect the number of strokes in the next generation to increase threefold or more.

It was interesting that sodium wasn't listed above since in the "1990s it was found that the relationship between salt intake and stroke mortality was stronger than the relationship between blood pressure and stroke mortality" . Maybe Thais aren't ready to admit that their dependence on nam pla is part of the problem that is killing them.

Edited by jaltsc

"Risk factors that could contribute to strokes include hypertension, smoking, diabetes, heart disease, high blood fat, ageing, stress, obesity, alcohol consumption, and the lack of exercise."

Considering the number of overweight children driving their motorbikes from the sugar syrup drink stands, to 7-Eleven for a Slushy and chemical laden/high sodium snacks, then back home where they add sugar to whatever high sodium meal was prepared for them, expect the number of strokes in the next generation to increase threefold or more.

It was interesting that sodium wasn't listed above since in the "1990s it was found that the relationship between salt intake and stroke mortality was stronger than the relationship between blood pressure and stroke mortality" . Maybe Thais aren't ready to admit that their dependence on nam pla is part of the problem that is killing them.

yes salt was my first thought.

but Thais smoke like there is no tomorrow (no tomorrow, get it) :)

drink like fish.

and eat garbage.

How many Thai's you seen walking? most are in cars motor bikes or there sitting on over sized butts on BTS. Yes some walk but more are rushing to sit instead of standing Every time I use BTS or MRT Thai's rush to escalator while I'm the only one using stairs Same with most Farangs too. But hey with the ambulances here getting through traffic with such ease your chances of survival are slim to none.

Strokes aren't so bad, if you die. Most of my relatives died quickly and relatively painlessly. Some young,58, some old 83. Now Alzheimers is a bitch. We've just started seeing this in my family. I'm almost encouraged to drink and smoke too much, so I don't have to go through this shit.

Terrible pollution,heavy smoking,heavy usage of salt,Unless health education is taught via the national media this will continue to be a problem but hell celebrating "the enlightenment" is far more important..How about a national health day ?

but Thais smoke like there is no tomorrow (no tomorrow, get it) smile.png

drink like fish.

and eat garbage.

Thailand has pretty strong anti-smoking laws and virtually none of my Thai friends smoke, at least not the younger ones. My guess is you are used to the working classes, who are much more likely to be smokers than the more educated class, where it's rare to find a smoker. Also, very few women smoke in Thailand.

At the very minimum of prevention a daily dose of Asprin 300mg for all men over 45 might help. But fags and cheap booze are more fun.

Let me give a personal perspective on this issue.

I have hypertension, which I control by following an appropriate balanced diet that contains sufficient naturally occurring angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. Occasionally, I fall off the wagon temporarily - there has got to be some fun in life! I also try to lead a more active and less stressful lifestyle. I monitor my blood pressure regularly. There is a history of hypertension on both sides of my family and my father died from a CVA aged 51.

Recently, my Thai wife attended the government clinic visiting the village in which we live (BTW, we are not in the middle of nowhere, we are less that 8 kms from a city that has two government hospitals, three private hospitals, and a university). She was advised that she had very high blood pressure and was at risk of a CVA. What advice did they give her about reducing the risk of having a stroke? None, nada, zilch, sod all, SFA! What treatment did they giver? None whatsoever.

Until such time that Thailand addresses the lifestyle causes of CVAs, this dismal statistic will increase inexorably, as will the statistics for the accompanying evil twins of type 2 diabetes and hypertension. Given that some of the lifestyle causes of CVAs are deeply culturally ingrained into the Thai way of life, I am pessimistic of seeing any meaningful improvement even in my Thai grandchildren's lifetime.

Strokes are on the rise throughout the world. 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, and put on a regimen of warfrin, which is a pain, due to the monthly required blood tests. But having read up on strokes and their ramifications, I would rather put up with the hassle of warfrin, than face the ramifications of a stroke. My blood pressure has never been a problem, and is currently 110 over 70, on average. Down the road I will switch to Eliquis, which does not require blood test monthly, but the cost has to come down some. I am now paying for having eaten too much, drank too much, smoked too much and didn't exercise enough. But I have few regrets about that. Now I follow the doctor's advise, while still enjoying an occasional scotch and a good meal. Life is still good.

i exercise every day, then my heart got tired.....heat and dehydration

ate "healthy" then didn't get enough B12

no stress, but i had to quit my job to relax

no money, had to get divorce since i quit my job

now i'm homeless, eating 10 baht soup, walk every day..

but no stroke!!!!

this life thing is dangerous!!!!

but Thais smoke like there is no tomorrow (no tomorrow, get it) smile.png

drink like fish.

and eat garbage.

Thailand has pretty strong anti-smoking laws and virtually none of my Thai friends smoke, at least not the younger ones. My guess is you are used to the working classes, who are much more likely to be smokers than the more educated class, where it's rare to find a smoker. Also, very few women smoke in Thailand.

It's a good thing the majority of Thais are educated.

Just wait till the Alzheimers kicks in. The educated classes won't be feeling so smug then. Society should be encouraging people to smoke, drink, and eat fatty food. Do your bit, once your productive life is over, die and go away, quickly. Seriously, I'd rather die quickly of a stroke, than live few years longer and drag it out with Alzheimers. It's a bitch, as anyone who has been unfortunate enough to have a relative afflicted with this pernicious illness will know.

Just wait till the Alzheimers kicks in. The educated classes won't be feeling so smug then. Society should be encouraging people to smoke, drink, and eat fatty food. Do your bit, once your productive life is over, die and go away, quickly. Seriously, I'd rather die quickly of a stroke, than live few years longer and drag it out with Alzheimers. It's a bitch, as anyone who has been unfortunate enough to have a relative afflicted with this pernicious illness will know.

trouble is most stroke victims dont die but suffer the consequences...loss of speech,body movement and loss of vision etc..if you want to die quickly a heart attack would be better

The younger thais are certainly getting fatter with all their sugary drink,food and no exercise.I have relocated to a village in Isaan and very rarely see a fat person(except young children)We have a 711 and a tesco express.Nearly all the houses have enough land to grow vegetables and fruit which they sell at the local market.Old men and women out cycling everyday,Everyone looks lean and healthy.Some old guys grow their own tabacco,but yes not a lot smoke these days.Isaan style food is a handicap,most of it absolute rubbish,too much salt,sugar and nam pla.

I thought that figure seemed high but according to another website, Australia, with roughly a third of the population, had almost 440,000 people living with the effects of strokes in 2015.

My Thai father-in-law suffered a severe stroke a couple of years ago. Had plenty of warning signs with high BP, a smoker, a drinker, a diet high in sodium. He was on BP medication which he hardly ever took despite everyone warning him of what could happen. Amazed he survived albeit with a large piece taken out of his skull. The only thing in his favour was he was lean and active. It's continues to be a struggle to keep him on track. A couple of other Thai men I know who survived a stroke continue to drink, smoke and eat badly. They are not interested in changing their lifestyle even if it means they will die earlier than they should.

You make a good point and some friends of mine in OZ have no intention of changing their lifestyle as well, so it isn't confined solely to Thai, there has been some moves , but ethics prohibit, that if patients don't change their lifestyles no treatment , Prayut's section 44 should cover this.

trouble is most stroke victims dont die but suffer the consequences

My mother was a stroke victim in her early 70's, no doubt due to her excess smoking and drinking. She didn't die but was physically disabled and unable to walk or function normally. Luckily, my family had funds to care for her at home. After my father died at 89 years old of a heart attack (he stood up and dropped dead), she went into a very good private nursing home. She remained there for 10 years as an advanced stroke victim, gradually losing her memory to Alchzeimers, until death finally gave her rest.

I wouldn't wish a stroke or Alchzeimers on my worst enemy. A massive heart attack is the best way if you're going to go without it being 'messy'.

The younger thais are certainly getting fatter with all their sugary drink,food and no exercise.I have relocated to a village in Isaan and very rarely see a fat person(except young children)We have a 711 and a tesco express.Nearly all the houses have enough land to grow vegetables and fruit which they sell at the local market.Old men and women out cycling everyday,Everyone looks lean and healthy.Some old guys grow their own tabacco,but yes not a lot smoke these days.Isaan style food is a handicap,most of it absolute rubbish,too much salt,sugar and nam pla.

looking lean doesnt necessarily mean healthy

To much pollution and bad food choices , Those figures will rise

Not exactly. The number one culprit has always been smoking. The high sodium content in the food facilitates sustained high blood pressure. The bad food choices comes into play with the diabetes and coronary disease epidemic. Stop smoking and the risk of heart attack and stroke is cut in half.

You make a good point and some friends of mine in OZ have no intention of changing their lifestyle as well, so it isn't confined solely to Thai, there has been some moves , but ethics prohibit, that if patients don't change their lifestyles no treatment , Prayut's section 44 should cover this.

People I know in Australia who have survived strokes or heart attacks have nearly all listened to their doctors and made major lifestyle changes e.g. exercise regularly, no longer smoke or drink and stick to a sensible diet. Only one guy doesn't and it's more his total lack of willpower rather than a care less attitude. There are a couple of Thai men, early fifties near me who have had strokes and another couple with diabetes. They don't seem to care and drink, eat and smoke like before. A couple think the medication they take is all that is required. When I was really out of shape and started having health problems I knew something had to be done and eventually turned things around. I'm not very strict with my diet and exercise but my yearly check-up results now look okay. Can't ever be sure if my previous poor lifestyle might come back to bite me one day but I was never a big drinker or smoker so that's something in my favor.

PROPER ISAAN FOOD IS HEALTHIEST IN THAILAND

Barbequed Meat, Fish, Chicken, Tom Sep, Som Tum Phu Bala, plenty of raw vegies and limejuice. Khow Niao is also more slowly digested, lower GI.

Good post. You almost never see a Thai walking anywhere either. I get looked at funny when I say I refer to walk everywhere within reason (reason being within a 16km range)

PROPER ISAAN FOOD IS HEALTHIEST IN THAILAND

Barbequed Meat, Fish, Chicken, Tom Sep, Som Tum Phu Bala, plenty of raw vegies and limejuice. Khow Niao is also more slowly digested, lower GI.

Phla ra will do your liver in, but they won't be told

Fatality rate is 3 deaths per 1 hour... So, 72 per day, 504 per week, over 26,000 per year.

Assuming the figure is true and not another figure pulled from a back pocket, that's truly significant. A decent funeral in Thailand can cost anything up to 400,000 Baht (thinking back on the last 3 I have attended, large families, lots of friends, almost 2 weeks of food,prayers etc). So that's anything up to 10 Billion Baht each year on Funerals? Wow.