I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

for increased savings we could increase the caviar tonnage from Russia and decrease the number of baths we take.

Fill our baths with caviar... That would not be considered as savings, right?

We would actually save on water and food though...

bathing in caviar cannot be considered savings even if our Russian friends deliver tons.

but we could teach our dogs not only to hunt cats but how to prepare a tasty cat curry as well as stealing food from the neighbours' dogs. this would add up to considerable savings over a period of 175 years due to fictive compound interest on the basic savings.

note: the dogs should be made aware that is doesn't pay stealing from people who live in shoeboxes located in highrise buildings because some dirty old socks are not exactly palatable!

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for increased savings we could increase the caviar tonnage from Russia and decrease the number of baths we take.

Fill our baths with caviar... That would not be considered as savings, right?

We would actually save on water and food though...

bathing in caviar cannot be considered savings even if our Russian friends deliver tons.

but we could teach our dogs not only to hunt cats but how to prepare a tasty cat curry as well as stealing food from the neighbours' dogs. this would add up to considerable savings over a period of 175 years due to fictive compound interest on the basic savings.

note: the dogs should be made aware that is doesn't pay stealing from people who live in shoeboxes located in highrise buildings because some dirty old socks are not exactly palatable!

:) :) :) :)

Too good :)

A Bangkok developer found a way for us to save on parking costs (and parking tickets).

Isn't that great?

You would need a suitable car to fit into that super luxury garage though...

(Sukhumvit 31).

post-12654-14666699916304_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14666700083823_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14666700195777_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14666700297205_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011

So I was sitting at home all day and beginning to fret. I hadn't left the house since I woke up so I didn't spend anything but it seemed like a hollow win for me. How could I come up with additional savings although I hadn't been anywhere? how can i cheat old man inflation from the comfort of my house? I turned off the TV, fan and every other electrical device possible, yet this wasn't enough to soothe me. Luckily the neighbor doesn't save power by turning his wifi router off so I can relate to you my great existence with no burden or cost to myself.

Then it dawned on me. It was like some sort of divine epiphany, I hadn't even looked in between the cushions of my sofa since I had moved into my condo. I found around ten Baht worth of coins! The icing on the cake is the five Baht coin in this picture is definitely not mine and from the previous tenant. I would have most certainly noticed a discrepancy of that level when I do my nightly audit of my pocket change savings. This just goes to show the reckless oversight of others is a win for us savers!

Never give up hope there are many forms of savings and in this case sometimes even opportunities for earnings such as this one. So please everybody take a break from this forum and go discover the treasure trove of newly found wealth in your sofas! This will be a great win for all of us! The collective wealth of TV will go up upon reading this post. Not only do I win for me but I win for all of you as well! We should all be jelus!

post-57867-0-73484500-1466672799_thumb.j

So I was sitting at home all day and beginning to fret. I hadn't left the house since I woke up so I didn't spend anything but it seemed like a hollow win for me. How could I come up with additional savings although I hadn't been anywhere? how can i cheat old man inflation from the comfort of my house? I turned off the TV, fan and every other electrical device possible, yet this wasn't enough to soothe me. Luckily the neighbor doesn't save power by turning his wifi router off so I can relate to you my great existence with no burden or cost to myself.

Then it dawned on me. It was like some sort of divine epiphany, I hadn't even looked in between the cushions of my sofa since I had moved into my condo. I found around ten Baht worth of coins! The icing on the cake is the five Baht coin in this picture is definitely not mine and from the previous tenant. I would have most certainly noticed a discrepancy of that level when I do my nightly audit of my pocket change savings. This just goes to show the reckless oversight of others is a win for us savers!

Never give up hope there are many forms of savings and in this case sometimes even opportunities for earnings such as this one. So please everybody take a break from this forum and go discover the treasure trove of newly found wealth in your sofas! This will be a great win for all of us! The collective wealth of TV will go up upon reading this post. Not only do I win for me but I win for all of you as well! We should all be jelus!

This thread is getting better and better.

From savings to earnings...

Who would have guessed that our efforts to not open our wallet would lead us to new opportunities for earnings.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I thus went immediately to check this theory by myself in my own living room...

I lifted the cushions of the sofa...

And... THERE IT WAS !!!

As unbelievably as it may seem, there WAS something: Half a peanut !!!

I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed to find only half a peanut rather than plenty of money, as you miraculously found under the cushions of your own sofa.

But then, I realized that there was no point in being disappointed, and that I should be very happy with my finding.

Indeed, for many on this planet, as well as on this forum, saving peanuts seems to be of paramount importance to reach a better life.

So, the fact that I actually "made" half a peanut by simply looking under the cushion of my sofa can already be seen as a super great achievement.

I can't believe I made peanuts today.

Pure happiness :)

(Well, half a peanut) (But happy anyway) :)

Edited by gerry1011

Let's hope tomorrow is a repeat of the manna from heaven we have been lucky enough to receive today. Gerry you really have learned to be happy with what you get and not worrying about what others save compared to your own savings seems to be a large part of this. It is very admirable you aren't even a tad envious of my huge score. Well i am guessing you are a tad bit envious but you are handling all of this very well.

Slander is a criminal offense in Thailand.

Moderators can absolutely prove that I do not have more than one account on this forum.

Hopefully this will shut you up.

You should take this slander matter further... some coin in it for you for sure = more winning !!

Rather pointless to pursue slander charges as the written form of defamation is called libel.

Ohhh. we have a toffee nosed one amongst us it seems.

if using the correct term makes me toffee-nosed so be it.

Let's hope tomorrow is a repeat of the manna from heaven we have been lucky enough to receive today. Gerry you really have learned to be happy with what you get and not worrying about what others save compared to your own savings seems to be a large part of this. It is very admirable you aren't even a tad envious of my huge score. Well i am guessing you are a tad bit envious but you are handling all of this very well.

I sincerely do admire your creative ways and ideas, taking advantage of all these marvelous opportunities to make more and more savings, and thus reaching incomparable happiness in Thailand, without the necessity of any all these evil material things that make the life of most of us look like the worst of the worst nightmares... In simple words, thanks to you we now understand that "less is a big plus". Thank you !

I do admire you, your discipline, your innovation in not only saving money, but also, sometimes, make money (!), while saving at the same time, keeping all that money we made, in order to make even more savings, making our life safe... and happy.

It's difficult to explain the feeling that all these successes can procure. I don't have the words for it. It's too beautiful.

At the same time... Yes, I am envious of your skills. Even jealous. Sometimes terribly frustrated because I know very well that I will never be able to reach your level.

But you are right. I think that I can handle all these bad feelings quite well, and still chat in a friendly way with you and Naam (even if he seems not as good as you at saving peanuts)(Sorry, I mean money).

But, if I can handle all this very well, as you say, and thank you for saying that, it is because of the good education I received in my early years. Same as for the schools and university, there were no savings on that side, be reassured.

But nowadays is different.

I can't believe how much I saved just by chatting with you guys :)

Do not forget that wealth protection is an equally important part of the equation. I foolishly let my savings slip into the cracks of my sofa but luckily i fished it out of the brink of fiduciary disaster and immediately deposited it in the bank. Now it is safe and it is in an interest bearing account. Pure profit. I win again how about that?

Edited by anotheruser

This however would have been consigned to obscurity without the latest posts. The original thread had it been thoughtful could have been useful. Something like "Creative ways to spend less in Thailand" might have been a thread that made it. 20,000 views says that at least somebody is amused by this thread. You seemed to love it when the whole point of it was to antagonize everybody else and now that the shoe seems to be squarely on the other foot, you find it absurd. The ridicule and general juvenile nature in the subsequent posts have actually been more light hearted and amusing then the original tone of the thread. An obvious troll took a severe beating and we all win. My obnoxious posts simply parrot the OP and his infantile, maniacal, tone.

Anyway back on topic, just got back from 7/11. noticed they had just started stocking umbrellas and went to buy one. Seems they are some promo for the 7/11 top up card. 190 Baht to open for the card and an attractive umbrella that says hello in three different 4 different languages, sawasdee, nee hao, sabai dee, and ming ga sapaa which is evidently Burmese although I only can read the

Thai script which accompanies it. So I win again. I am now a member of the exclusive 7/11 top up card privilege system. I a sure some members will feel this should be farmed out in annual installments to make entry to the club more reasonable

I also have a new card to add to my portfolio! The newest addition to my card collection looks like this.... How about that level of prestige? Who else garners such high esteem for such a low amount? How about that?

post-57867-0-16365900-1466691415_thumb.j

This however would have been consigned to obscurity without the latest posts. The original thread had it been thoughtful could have been useful. Something like "Creative ways to spend less in Thailand" might have been a thread that made it. 20,000 views says that at least somebody is amused by this thread. You seemed to love it when the whole point of it was to antagonize everybody else and now that the shoe seems to be squarely on the other foot, you find it absurd. The ridicule and general juvenile nature in the subsequent posts have actually been more light hearted and amusing then the original tone of the thread. An obvious troll took a severe beating and we all win. My obnoxious posts simply parrot the OP and his infantile, maniacal, tone.

Anyway back on topic, just got back from 7/11. noticed they had just started stocking umbrellas and went to buy one. Seems they are some promo for the 7/11 top up card. 190 Baht to open for the card and an attractive umbrella that says hello in three different 4 different languages, sawasdee, nee hao, sabai dee, and ming ga sapaa which is evidently Burmese although I only can read the

Thai script which accompanies it. So I win again. I am now a member of the exclusive 7/11 top up card privilege system. I a sure some members will feel this should be farmed out in annual installments to make entry to the club more reasonable

I also have a new card to add to my portfolio! The newest addition to my card collection looks like this.... How about that level of prestige? Who else garners such high esteem for such a low amount? How about that?

Aaaaaaaaargh !!!

You kill me !!!

I want that card too !!!

And it goes soooooooo nicely with the Thailand Elite and Amex Platinum cards. Wonderful colors combination.

And look... In the bottom right of the card it is written "Smart Purse" !!! Exactly what we needed in this thread :) :) :)

Speaking about umbrellas, do you know that if you buy a Rolls Royce you get free umbrella?

It is nicely stored inside the door. Very convenient in case of rain, and totally free!

You may have had a good deal with the 7/11 umbrella, but the Rolls Royce umbrella is free.

I beat you on this one, sorry ;)

Great savings again.

(For those who don't believe I can always take a picture) (of the umbrella).

Edited by gerry1011

Aaaaaaaaargh !!!

You kill me !!!

I want that card too !!!

And it goes soooooooo nicely with the Thailand Elite and Amex Platinum cards. Wonderful colors combination.

And look... In the bottom right of the card it is written "Smart Purse" !!! Exactly what we needed in this thread smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Speaking about umbrellas, do you know that if you buy a Rolls Royce you get free umbrella?

It is nicely stored inside the door. Very convenient in case of rain, and totally free!

You may have had a good deal with the 7/11 umbrella, but the Rolls Royce umbrella is free.

I beat you on this one, sorry.

Great savings again.

(For those who don't believe I can always take a picture).

Few years ago I got a free umbrella with opening a SCB bank account. I had to deposit some money, forgot how much, but for sure it didn't come even close to the amount a RR cost.

Aaaaaaaaargh !!!

You kill me !!!

I want that card too !!!

And look... In the bottom right of the card it is written "Smart Purse" !!! Exactly what we needed in this thread smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I beat you on this one, sorry.

Great savings again.

(For those who don't believe I can always take a picture).

Few years ago I got a free umbrella with opening a SCB bank account. I had to deposit some money, forgot how much, but for sure it didn't come even close to the amount a RR cost.

It's far more difficult to be driven in an SCB bank account than in a Rolls Royce though...

Even if both have a free umbrella.

Both are offering a great way to save on our umbrella costs anyway. Thank you for sharing :)

Aaaaaaaaargh !!!

You kill me !!!

I want that card too !!!

I beat you on this one, sorry wink.png

Great savings again.

Maybe you are right and I got a raw deal on the umbrella, I think it was a promo and you would pay for the card anyway, like an MRT card. I wanted to buy the umbrella outright but there was a lengthy conference and I walked out with the card and an umbrella. I had never seen or heard of the 7/11 card before and they were just setting up the umbrellas and it was raining. I fell victim to my desire to stay dry and should have consulted this thread before such an impulse purchase.

Part of life is understanding when you are wrong and now I am down 185 +/- with this latest fiasco. I was utterly elated at my savvy and thriftiness before I read this thread and now that I can see and acknowledge the errors of my way I can get back on track, hopefully.

The only defense I have is it is a pretty nice umbrella and the hello kitty style top up card speaks for itself. So we can all learn lesson in life and one of them is to always think before you act. I should have slept on it.... My umbrella came with a complimentary case though. Did RR give you one? How about that? Sometimes buyers remorse is a fact of life we all suffer, please be gentle on me in my time of grieving.

post-57867-0-45111300-1466700613_thumb.j

Aaaaaaaaargh !!!

You kill me !!!

I want that card too !!!

I beat you on this one, sorry wink.png

Great savings again.

Maybe you are right and I got a raw deal on the umbrella, I think it was a promo and you would pay for the card anyway, like an MRT card. I wanted to buy the umbrella outright but there was a lengthy conference and I walked out with the card and an umbrella. I had never seen or heard of the 7/11 card before and they were just setting up the umbrellas and it was raining. I fell victim to my desire to stay dry and should have consulted this thread before such an impulse purchase.

Part of life is understanding when you are wrong and now I am down 185 +/- with this latest fiasco. I was utterly elated at my savvy and thriftiness before I read this thread and now that I can see and acknowledge the errors of my way I can get back on track, hopefully.

The only defense I have is it is a pretty nice umbrella and the hello kitty style top up card speaks for itself. So we can all learn lesson in life and one of them is to always think before you act. I should have slept on it.... My umbrella came with a complimentary case though. Did RR give you one? How about that? Sometimes buyers remorse is a fact of life we all suffer, please be gentle on me in my time of grieving.

The umbrella seems to be of remarkable value, but the complimentary day old baguette sleeve that comes with it is to die for. Edited by HooHaa

I don't understand. Is this exchange supposed to be humorous? Coz it's pretty sad, to be honest.

What's a shame is your inability to appreciate frighteningly accurate satire.

Thanks for posting this finally somebody seems to get what this thread has become. None of my comments are meant to be hurtful or taken seriously. If it was a bar I would ring the bell but would rather have somebody else do that for obvious reasons.

Come on kids, no matter how much we save at the end of the day we are all of equal value.

Arguably when it comes to the overall value of our constituent elements, the morbidly obese are worth more.

I don't understand. Is this exchange supposed to be humorous? Coz it's pretty sad, to be honest.

What's a shame is your inability to appreciate frighteningly accurate satire.

Thanks for posting this finally somebody seems to get what this thread has become. None of my comments are meant to be hurtful or taken seriously. If it was a bar I would ring the bell but would rather have somebody else do that for obvious reasons.

Uh?

Not serious?

But but but... You really got that umbrella for free, right?

Come on kids, no matter how much we save at the end of the day we are all of equal value.

I allow myself to disagree with you.

We have saved so much in this thread that I am afraid you and me are now undervalued :)

Edited by gerry1011