I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

some of you only spend and make fun of my super savings, good for you... , but when it s time to give little money to a poor guy or a beggar, suddenly you are broke. what a coincidence!

be careful, Buddha is watching you.

I see many poor guys and beggars and give them nothing, not because iam broke but rather I want to be a winner like you. Just today I saw 3 beggars and I save much bathes by giving them nothing.

Winning does feel awesome !!

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't be jealous Gerry.

more savings I did in my life : I didn't pay one penny to study when I was young . all paid by my government. I saved 150'000$ plus compound interest. with the money saved I can buy your house (probably filled with junk) . but why should I? I have a great life in my high rise condo and lot of free time for myself. I rent.

you don't impress me with your Ferrari, Caviar and expensive watches. my account is fully loaded and I can rent a car if I want . I can change car every day if I want, get a Ferrari today and a Lamborghini tomorrow, ....you don't impress me but you know that already.

having a car parked is a waste of money. think about it , 1 million baht spent (not invested, many people use the wrong word, the right word is spent, not invested ) on a dumb car used only a few hours a week, you have to pay for maintenance, insurance, depreciation, tires, fuel ... idiots even borrow money for these dumb plastic cars.

solution is the bus baht, 10 baths and you are good to go anywhere you want . even idiots pay 20 baths because they think farang should pay 2x more.

I save probably another 15000 baht a month by not owning a car. what about that?

You small needs. its nod bad not good.

all people different.

i do not like bus..many strange people. slow. lost time..

Oulaaaaaa... returnofthailand is persistent indeed, even in defeat.

Here we go, now we switch from savings to giving money away for charity.

That is certainly another veeeeeeery interesting subject to chat about.

If some of you are in, I'm in :)

But be ready to speak about large amounts then (but not as large as the mega savings we made previously in this thread, of course).

Edited by gerry1011

Looks like returnofthailand keeps his donations to the poor guys and beggars secret.

I, for once, would be happy to learn if his donations match his money savings.

This new turn in our conversation may even lead to the set up of a new charitable foundation: The Great Savers Foundation (Farang chapter).

Let's help the society a bit.

Besides making savings, it is also a great way to reach happiness in Thailand ;)

Edited by gerry1011

I save lot of money by giving money and for each baht I give, I make 100x more for my next life. for me it's a good investment. Again, I m a winner here.

i applaude your attitude and your first reasonable posting although i don't believe in a next life wai2.gif

I save lot of money by giving money and for each baht I give, I make 100x more for my next life. for me it's a good investment. Again, I m a winner here.

I think you are losing your inspiration...

You should lift the level up a tiny bit ;)

I've never seen you use humor, but you could give it a try.

When combativeness is gone, humor is a good alternative.

Thanks for your post(s) anyway :)

Edited by gerry1011

i applaude your attitude and your first reasonable posting although i don't believe in a next life wai2.gif

prove it!
Prove you dreams its not true?

:)

Charity unless you are an organization is best left unsaid. It is simply given out of goodness and not based upon boasting about it to others. For this reason I will just say that I do more than my share of giving and leave it at that. I am not going to be dragged into a contest of who gives more.

One funny thing though was I was in LAX years ago and was asked to give a few bucks in the charity box for the homeless. Back in those days I wasn't at all well off and told the guy if I gave him any money I would soon be homeless myself. So he replied "So make an investment in your future." I thought it was clever so he got a couple of bucks.

Well, yes.

But nowadays charity / social responsibility / sustainability goes along with business development.

The good thing is that, in today's world, large corporations and wealthy business individuals, see that helping the society in a way or the other can be beneficial to the business.

Of course, philanthropy is usually more discreet. But not always.

The disadvantage of keeping good deeds too discreet is that we also keep the good examples too discreet.

Edited by gerry1011

I always give money. and look at me today? I m a successful money maker and brilliant ideas always come to my mind everyday.

just today :

this morning when taking my usual cold shower, I calculated briefly that I was using 30 litters/daily for 2 showers and water to brush teeth. my bill is for 100 liters a day, where these extra 70 liters comes from? probably flushing the toilet . so this is where I need to save now . flush less or drink less. as I m a genius saver(and a winner) , I got the bright idea to hold my pee. 2 advantages (if you are not too old) : 1.you create muscle body and 2.you waste less time and electricity in toilet.

total saved after a life : 2.5 millions baths that can be invested in something else than wasting flush water(time, electricity, toilet cleaning...) .

Edited by returnofthailand

I always give money. and look at me today? I m a successful money maker and brilliant ideas always come to my mind everyday.

just today :

this morning when taking my usual cold shower, I calculated briefly that I was using 30 litters/daily for 2 showers and water to brush teeth. my bill is for 100 liters a day, where these extra 70 liters comes from? probably flushing the toilet . so this is where I need to save now . flush less or drink less. as I m a genius saver(and a winner) , I got the bright idea to hold my pee. 2 advantages (if you are not too old) : 1.you create muscle body and 2.you waste less time and electricity in toilet.

total saved after a life : 2.5 millions baths that can be invested in something else than wasting flush water(time, electricity, toilet cleaning...) .

NOW you become creative :)

Good. At least you made me smile. It is a very good start :)

Saving money seems a more inspirational activity for you than donating it though...

Edited by gerry1011

just today :

Are you new to the rodeo? Most of us more experienced hands haven't flushed for decades, and earlier I was making ice cubes from my toilet. You need to become smarter as a guru or find new groupies. if it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow. Trickle down economics at their finest.

many farangs in Thailand are now gone. strange no? .. seem you didn't save enough when the <deleted> hit the fan...

with your little pension of 1200$ going down and down, what will you do in 5 years? british guys just lost 10% in 2 days and they made fun of me... now who is laughing.?

many farangs in Thailand are now gone. strange no? .. seem you didn't save enough when the <deleted> hit the fan...

with your little pension of 1200$ going down and down, what will you do in 5 years? british guys just lost 10% in 2 days and they made fun of me... now who is laughing.?

You look down and laugh at your own kind now?

You will never stop to surprise us :) :) :)

(Not speaking about the nationality).

Edited by gerry1011

Still here. Just amazed that this thread is still going.

best topic of the year. I agree with all of you.

I m still in my high rise building with full equipment for much cheaper than a farang usually pay.

how? this is simple, in Thailand, as you certainly know already , there are 2 prices, one for Thai and one for farang, but apparently you guys still didn't figure this yet you all think you are soooo smart. but not so smart when it s a question to pay less. you can easily get more for less if you follow my million £ advices.

I give you an example, a guy rent a condo, he pay more than me because he has ac and hot shower installed , he pay 2000 or even 3000 baths more and barely use the ac.

instead he could simply rent a condo with nothing inside in a nice condo, for half the price and buy the equipment. installing hot shower will not cost you very much. as for ac, forget about it. in a high rise building with fresh air from sea you don't need anything. a fan will be enough.

you can live very comfortably with 3k a month and buy what you need. I know of a guy he rent an empty house at 5k. he is probably richer than you. why richer, because he doesn't spend his money in unnecessary things like most American do. anyway, up to you, when the shit will hit the fan, you will all be back with mommy.

Still here. Just amazed that this thread is still going.

and everybody who reads it is laughing gigglem.gif

best topic of the year. I agree with all of you.

Have you analyzed the economics of cost/frequency of haircut vs cost of shampoo & conditioners? I'm sure there are potential savings to be found here.

And of course I am sure you are familiar with the front/back inside/out underware rotation scheme to save on laundry.

Edited by Aussie69

I checked out of hospital yesterday and the bill was 150k, my free health insurance covered it.

today i feel 150k richer..

iam a winner too much

Don't forget all that delicious free food you got.

A real winner !

We should all try it ;)

Edited by gerry1011