US drone strike against Taliban leader angers Pakistan

snoop1130

US drone strike against Taliban leader angers Pakistan

606x341_333436.jpg

• Pakistan says US drone strike violated its airspace
  • US says Islamabad was informed
  • Body still to be formally identified

PAKISTAN -- The apparent death of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour in a US drone strike has caused a diplomatic row. Pakistan has accused the United States of violating its airspace by targeting Mansour’s vehicle in south-west Pakistan, near the Afghan border.

Islamabad has issued a press release saying the US government did not inform Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif beforehand.

US Secretary of State John Kerry has defended the strike:

“We have had longstanding conversations with Pakistan and Afghanistan about this objective with respect to Mullah Mansour, and both countries’ leaders were notified of the air strike. Mullah Mansour, as I said a moment ago, has been actively involved in planning attacks in Kabul, across Afghanistan, presenting a threat to Afghan civilians and to the coalition forces that are there.”

A taxi driver is also thought to have been killed in the strike. The passenger thought to be Mansour had a passport under the name Wali Muhammad and was returning from Iran. Pakistan says he has yet to be formally identified. So far only Afghanistan has confirmed Mansour’s death, however Taliban sources claim possible successors are being discussed by its leadership council. There is also speculation that the talks could spiral into a battle for the leadership.

Mansour became chief of the Afghan Taliban in July 2015, replacing Taliban founder and spiritual head Mullah Mohammad Omar.

Analysts say he was consolidating his power over the movement by bringing in a son and a brother of his predecessor and by launching large scale attacks on Afghan security forces.

Under his leadership, the Taliban managed to capture an important city last year for the first time in 15 years.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-23

If you tell Pakistani officials before a strike like that, it likely the strike won't be successful. Many Pakistani officials are buddies with the bad guys, so it's likely they'll tip off their pals. It's similar to operations in Thailand. That's why the local officials in Thailand can't be trusted to pull off a sting operation. For example; when farang investigators are planning a sting operation on a trafficker of endangered animal parts, the farang have learned to only tell one or two of the most trusted Thai officials (the ones who are going along in the vehicle), and only tell them as late as possible, and don't lose sight of them after you tell them. Same with Pakistani officials. That's why US special forces didn't tell any Paki officials prior to taking out O.Bin Laden. There's a zero chance the hit would have been successful if Paki officials had been forewarned.

Screw them. We got a bad guy and I'm sure the USA will do it again. Bravo

Sure, the USA will do it again and again, but it's a strategy that won't be any more successful in the future than it has been in the past.

They don't do anything right. This is a country that has an unbroken record of military failures since 1945.

Edited by JingerBen

Sure, the USA will do it again and again, but it's a strategy that won't be any more successful in the future than it has been in the past.

They don't do anything right. This is a country that has an unbroken record of military failures since 1945.

1945 was probably the last war that was engaged in with the intent to "win". Engagements during the Cold War and beyond were intended to be strung along as long as possible to generate the most return for the profiteers

The US kicked the Iraqis out of Kuwait.

It enabled Bosnia to become independent of Serbia. Prior to that were drawn-out mass killings of civilians.

US enabled East Timor to break free of Indonesia. Prior there had been many murders by Indonesian authorities.

The US's military history has patchy since it liberated Europe twice and China once in the 20th century. But give credit where credit's due, unless you're determined to see the US as always failing - then nothing will sway your view.

It enabled Bosnia to become independent of Serbia. Prior to that were drawn-out mass killings of civilians.

US enabled East Timor to break free of Indonesia. Prior there had been many murders by Indonesian authorities.

The US's military history has patchy since it liberated Europe twice and China once in the 20th century. But give credit where credit's due, unless you're determined to see the US as always failing - then nothing will sway your view.

You forgot to mention Grenada in 1983.

Operation Urgent Fury resulted in a decisive US victory in a matter of weeks.

Have another Kool-Aid.

Putting the evocative issue of terrorism aside for a minute. How would you feel if the US had decided your country had people it would like to get rid of and started using drone strikes, without even considering the amount of dead innocent civilians from "collateral damage"?

Seems to me that it creates a very ugly precedent for fascist oppression. Who will be next? Drug lords, environmentalists, anti-vacciners, anti-government types? No one rational likes terrorists, but empowering any government with this type of totalitarian life and death power is very dangerous, what ever happened to the land of free?

You can speak freely like this because USA ended WWII. Yes, the MIT seems an uncontrollable machine now, but we should all remember the past. I'm sure many US soldiers roll their eyes wondering what the hell they are doing protecting countries that give a rats a$$ about their presence in any way shape or form.

Edited by steve654

What I despise the most, are people that refuse to realize the options.

This month, two or three top leaders were exterminated.

You just don't fight wars the same way, anymore. Victories are not body counts.

In the meantime, europeans are being victimized by their own people, whom they let in.

You can sit there and criticize, but what is your plan, bubba?

Putting the evocative issue of terrorism aside for a minute. How would you feel if the US had decided your country had people it would like to get rid of and started using drone strikes, without even considering the amount of dead innocent civilians from "collateral damage"?

Seems to me that it creates a very ugly precedent for fascist oppression. Who will be next? Drug lords, environmentalists, anti-vacciners, anti-government types? No one rational likes terrorists, but empowering any government with this type of totalitarian life and death power is very dangerous, what ever happened to the land of free?

First they came for the leaders of totalitarian religious death cults and I did nothing....

You forgot to mention Grenada in 1983.

Operation Urgent Fury resulted in a decisive US victory in a matter of weeks.

Have another Kool-Aid.

And don't forget the S. Korean's that were saved from the nut job North, oh and don't forget Panama, which have been very successful,

You need to get a whole jug of Kool-Aid.

And since kicking Iraq out of Kuwait, we've being in a state of permanent war.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

1945 was probably the last war that was engaged in with the intent to "win". Engagements during the Cold War and beyond were intended to be strung along as long as possible to generate the most return for the profiteers

Your first point is nonsense.

There is no substitute for victory in military confrontations. If you don't ​win you lose.

True, many of the post WWII conflicts were milked for profit by the war-based industrial complex, but to think that the US had a no-win strategy from the outset is ridiculous.

The land of the free is an 'illusion of sorts' as in reality nobody except the mega wealthy are free.

It's a bit like 'terrorism', the way its sold and the reality of it are completely different.

And since kicking Iraq out of Kuwait, we've being in a state of permanent war.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

And it will never end Mosh, never.......and they were told before they went .......

you might want to include WW2.

I don't believe for one minute that Pakistan didn't know. I have a feeling they are covering their backside with the Taliban by showing anger. They were informed.

Right on. Standard procedure for the Pakastani government. And I am of the opinion they were informed of the raid to assassinate Bin Laden before hand too. But played dumb to stay cool with the Muslim brotherhood. Fighters didn't scramble, mysterious blackout over Abbottabad throughout the entire time the operation went down etc etc. Then take a look at the spike in US diplomatic activity in the weeks prior to the raid. Culminating in Admiral Mick Mullen, as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, visiting Islamabad in late April 2011. UBL was rubbed out on the 2nd of May. They knew. And they know.

As Bruce put it "Born in the USA" and damn proud of it! Anyone who disparages my country is just a jealous loser

I think you forgot to add "Whoop! Whoop! Yeaaahhhh! USA! USA!" etc.

You Brits come up for the bait almost as easy as catching crabs with a chicken bone 55555