Schools told to have fire response plans in place after Chiang Rai blaze

webfact

Schools told to have fire response plans in place after Chiang Rai blaze

BANGKOK, 24 May 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Education has instructed all schools to be ready to respond to fire accidents after many students were killed by a fire in Chiang Rai.

In the wake of the recent blaze that occurred at a girls’ dormitory of Pitakiatwittaya School in Wiang Pa Pao district, Chiang Rai province, Education Minister Gen Dapong Ratanasuwan revealed that related officials have been dispatched to the site to investigate the cause of the deadly incident as well as to inspect the school’s security and alarm systems. He said he has assigned the Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC) to provide assistance for all affected students and people.

Deputy Secretary-General of OPEC Peerasak Rattana said an initial assistance fund of 5,000 baht has been given to relatives of each victim for organizing the funeral rite.

In the meantime, the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security is considering a plan to compensate injured students at the rate of 8,500 baht each and families of the deceased at 2,000 baht each.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-24 footer_n.gif

Quick shut the gate, the horse has bolted. Isn't it better to have evacuation plans and fire equipment in place before a fire? Yes I know this is Thailand and if I don't like the way things currently are then go home to my nanny state.

2,000 baht for the death of your child in our care, what and insult. How much did the families pay in annual tuition and boarding fees? The school is still going to be well in front.

Edited by Thechook

More absolutely meaningless words after the event......the authorities here are disgusting....!

Nothing ever changes with these dolts, and in reality, there are no better people to replace them!

Absolute terrible response. Life is so cheap.

However, I do have a meeting with the local school director today and I'll be drawing up an emergency response plan similar to the ones we use in Australia, along with pushing him to get smoke alarms installed in all classrooms and making sure the students are briefed every 3 or 4 months about what to do in case of such an event. I wish I had more time here, I'd visit all the schools in the surrounding area and doing the same.

sometimes horrible incidents create solutions to inherent problems in many things eg aircraft, cars, building codes etc.

but in thailands case, we may have a media shoot of safety precautions at 'such n such' demonstration school in bkk.

outside of that i think not much will be done.

In 11 consecutive years teaching here I only ever experienced one fire drill, and conversely to how i remember the evacuation process, the Thai teachers were screeching hurry up , GO GO! to the kids, creating a little pandemonium along the way.

The paltry money being offered to the tragic victims families is absolutely insulting and insensitive.... Especially when you think about how much money is being wasted/siphoned on mega projects by the Govt....

And why aren't such plans in place now? Why is everything reactionary here? Is thinking of risk, consequences, planning and purpose so difficult?

Edited by jerojero

The story didn't even make the headlines. Presumably because the girls were from ethnic minority families . This, and the insulting compensation says it all.

This horrible tragedy has made the international news but that won't be of any consequence here.

Absolute terrible response. Life is so cheap.

However, I do have a meeting with the local school director today and I'll be drawing up an emergency response plan similar to the ones we use in Australia, along with pushing him to get smoke alarms installed in all classrooms and making sure the students are briefed every 3 or 4 months about what to do in case of such an event. I wish I had more time here, I'd visit all the schools in the surrounding area and doing the same.

Good luck with your meeting but I cant see it getting past sagely nods from the director then forgotten about when you leave.

to true gandy, nice maps, evacuation plans, assembly points, fire wardens.

all will gather dust once the farang with the sensible ideas leaves.

the director will get 'face' points when some high roller visits.

Quick shut the gate, the horse has bolted. Isn't it better to have evacuation plans and fire equipment in place before a fire? Yes I know this is Thailand and if I don't like the way things currently are then go home to my nanny state.

2,000 baht for the death of your child in our care, what and insult. How much did the families pay in annual tuition and boarding fees? The school is still going to be well in front.

As I understand it, the school educated children for free.

However even in Thailand 2000 baht is a very low sum. Perhaps it is a typo, or an initial cash payment to tide families over with more to come later. One would hope so. Money payments can never be enough but grieving in relative financial security has to be better than grieving in poverty.

I don't think I have ever seen a muster point in any establishment , I bet they aren't at any school or factory, every building where people gather should have one , a general rule it is the car park , not the 2nd or 3 rd floor ones , the one's outside on the ground away from the building , just thought Id throw that in , in case work safe is reading TV....................................coffee1.gif

Number 1 on the list of regulations should be don't lock people into buildings from the outside.

Section 1a and scope of the new regulation should be the responsibility of someone to ensure competent people are trained to adhere with regulations already in place.

Personally the immediate question is answered seeing that there was at least an alarm system, then looking further it appears the NFPA is apparently the enlightening body in this country too. Which perhaps prematurely leads to the conclusion that it probably wasn't working, may not have been for some time and there was probably nobody even trained to look at it to ensure the "on light" was even on.

Now my guess is that they probably did have automatic detection, but it doesn't mean squat if there's no power and ain't nobody nowhere in the world is admitting anything like that now. Been there, done that.

As I understand it, the school educated children for free.

However even in Thailand 2000 baht is a very low sum. Perhaps it is a typo, or an initial cash payment to tide families over with more to come later. One would hope so. Money payments can never be enough but grieving in relative financial security has to be better than grieving in poverty.

It's not a low sum for Thailand; it's fairly typical.

My school is a death trap too. It has an emergency fire hose like this:

post-140919-0-32008300-1464061008_thumb.

But it's just lying in a big tangled pile in the bottom of the case, and the water main it's connected to is dry. There are no fire extinguishers, even in my science classroom. I bring my own small extinguisher when I do any chemistry demonstrations that have the potential to release heat.

During the break times and holidays, when most students are away but there are still plenty of faculty and staff in the building, all the exit doors get locked except for one. If a fire were to break out during this time, you'd likely be toast.

Edited by attrayant

Some factories here have Emergency Response Plans in place, schools never do.

I appreciate the comments made about the meeting. Unfortunately I also think that will be the case, but I still have to try. I asked my teacher girlfriend if her of any of the kids know how to use a fire extinguisher..of course her answer was no.

I realize this is an uphill battle but will still be pushing hard regardless.

Some factories here have Emergency Response Plans in place, schools never do.

I appreciate the comments made about the meeting. Unfortunately I also think that will be the case, but I still have to try. I asked my teacher girlfriend if her of any of the kids know how to use a fire extinguisher..of course her answer was no.

I realize this is an uphill battle but will still be pushing hard regardless.

good on you, maybe your meeting may plant the small seed in your colleagues minds.

The story didn't even make the headlines. Presumably because the girls were from ethnic minority families . This, and the insulting compensation says it all.

This horrible tragedy has made the international news but that won't be of any consequence here.

The story was all over the Thai newspapers these last few days.

Number 1 on the list of regulations should be don't lock people into buildings from the outside.

Does that regulation also apply to nightclubs which are overcrowded and using fireworks as entertainment?

1. Get rid of the English emergency signs since Thais apparently don't know the language.

2. Stop stealing smoke alarm batteries.

3. Don't lock in the students in dorms.

4. No fake fire sprinklers should be installed just to pass inspections.

This is a very sad thing that's happened, but allow me to to ask the all knowing farang's commenting on this topic, insisting "Thai's" must do this or that...how many of you:

1. have smoke detectors in your own homes, condo's or squats your living in ?,

2. how many of you have fire extinguishers/fire blankets in said homes, condo's and squats ?

3. how many of you who own a motor car have an extinguishers in the car ?

4. how many of you have your own escape plan or emergency response plan ?

I would hazard a guess very few, most the judgmental types wouldn't want to spend the money on things like extinguishers, and smoke detectors, most of them wont even pay for their own medical insurance and whinge about a thb 5 increase in a bottle of beer...

My point is before your start accusing other people take a look at yourself...to paraphrase an old blues song...