AIS Fibre fixed broadband service launched as firm aims to be top player

mtls2005

AIS Fibre fixed broadband service launched as firm aims to be top player

ADVANCED Info Service yesterday officially launched its AIS Fibre fixed-line broadband service, after soft-launching it in April last year, with the aim to become a top-three player within three years and the market leader in five.

AIS is investing Bt7 billion this year to expand its fibre-optic network to cover 24 provinces by the end of 2016.

Saran Phaloprakarn, senior vice president for fixed broadband business |management at AIS, said only 6 million of the country's 20 million households were currently connected with fixed-line broadband, so the market had high potential.

From the article sounds like they are focusing on high occupancy buildings vs moobaans/villages at least in the initial stages. About six months ago in my western Bangkok moobaan of around 750 houses while the wife and I were walking the dogs we asked some contractors installing fiber optics around the main sois who the fiber was for. They answered AIS. But to this date I know of no one with AIS internet in my moobaan nor have any advertisement signs appeared. True cable/DOCSIS and TOT xDSL have been the only internet providers for years in our moobaan and True only came to our moobaan with cable TV/internet in mid 2011.

True also hung fiber optics line in our moobaan last year (once again asked the contractors installing while walking the dogs) but it turned out the fiber was just to supplement/increase the capacity of the DOCSIS lines they hung in mid 2011 which provides speed plans up to 100Mb. I called True a few days ago about a subject and also asked them to the have "fiber optics" in my moobaan...the rep put me on hold for about a minute as he checked...he then came back online to say No, no fiber optics just the DOCSIS up to 100Mb.

According to the "other" English language paper AIS was offering a service for 500 baht.

True dropped their price to 700 baht from 2,500 baht.

Isn't competition a wonderful thing?

As an afterthought if AIS had not come along would the True price still be 2,500 baht?

In November I noticed a couple of 1 x 2 meter signs posted on the main road of our moo ban of about 80 homes in Chiang Mai. At first I was wondering who was paid off as we have never had any signs posted in here before. Then I actually noticed that the signs were advertising AIS Fibre and immediately drove over to Central Airport to sign up. The first question they asked was whether any signs had been posted in our moo ban.

They installed the next day. Five people showed up to do the install. The cable was run from the entrance of the moo ban to the house. They charged an extra 500 Baht as we asked for underground conduit from the curb to the house and cable covers on the house from the conduit to the entry to my office. I think I saw it being referred to as FTTD on another thread or FIber to the Desk.

The install was free and it included the fiber modem, a dual band wifi router and a set top box. In six months we have not had a single problem. The family seems to prefer the AIS TV channels to the CTH channels. I did notice that I cannot switch to English on some channels like I can on over the air digital channels. I won't bore anyone with the speed test results.

Grin

I won't bore anyone with the speed test results.

Grin

Please do bore me with some. The AIS TV portion is of zero interest to me, but the speed (domestic and international) is important---I won't be bored.

I just called the AIS Fibre Contact number 1185 to see if they had service in my western Bangkok moobaan. Was interested especially since some contractors installing fibre optics about 6 months ago in my moobaan said the fibre was for AIS. Called the AIS Fibre number....talked to a person whose English was very good...the rep took my address/moobaan name to see if it was in their coverage area. Unfortunately it was not. The AIS rep just said watch for signs that may appear in the moobaan in the future. Since one of their plans is a 50Mb down/10Mb up plan for Bt888 (Bt799 if already an AIS customer) that would be hard to pass up if reliable and truly fast.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/contact.html#a

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

I'm not sure I get this, they have a pre-payed option?

If I take that option, do I then pay 4000 THB for instalation?

1. Service Fee is exclusive of 7% VAT.
  2. Service Fee collected as prepay starting on the first date of bill cycle
  3. Special package for SUPER Hi-Speed Broadband available to broadband users only eligible for 12 months and would be changed to the normal price.
  4. FREE installation and Wi-Fi router with a combined value of 4,000 Baht. If the customer cancels the service before the 12th billing cycle for any reason, the company reserves the right to collect the installation discount and customer must return the equipment to the company.
  5. FREE AIS PLAYBOX activation fee 2,500 baht for normal packages only
  6. Free Dual Band Wi-Fi Router that support 2 GHz and 5 GHz frequency increase efficiency improvements for any packages for condominium and up to 50/10 Mbps package for Fibre to the Home from today – 31 May 2016 (For new registration only)
  7. The customer who subscribe PowerHome Package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode.
  8. AIS customer will receive 10% discount on the monthly fee of AIS Fibre by AIS Prepaid customer who have monthly usage at least 300 baht per month
  9. The customer cannot change the package less (Speed) until the end of the contract 12 months.
  10. If services are suspended due to credit limit or unpaid bills. Services included in the package are all suspended. When payment service fee (payment channel) under the condition, the customer can use various services as normally.
  11. The Company reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice.

I'm not sure I get this, they have a pre-payed option?

If I take that option, do I then pay 4000 THB for instalation?

1. Service Fee is exclusive of 7% VAT.
  2. Service Fee collected as prepay starting on the first date of bill cycle
  3. Special package for SUPER Hi-Speed Broadband available to broadband users only eligible for 12 months and would be changed to the normal price.
  4. FREE installation and Wi-Fi router with a combined value of 4,000 Baht. If the customer cancels the service before the 12th billing cycle for any reason, the company reserves the right to collect the installation discount and customer must return the equipment to the company.
  5. FREE AIS PLAYBOX activation fee 2,500 baht for normal packages only
  6. Free Dual Band Wi-Fi Router that support 2 GHz and 5 GHz frequency increase efficiency improvements for any packages for condominium and up to 50/10 Mbps package for Fibre to the Home from today – 31 May 2016 (For new registration only)
  7. The customer who subscribe PowerHome Package receive free Private IPv4 with DDNS* and Public IPv6. Can use port forwarding and bridge mode.
  8. AIS customer will receive 10% discount on the monthly fee of AIS Fibre by AIS Prepaid customer who have monthly usage at least 300 baht per month
  9. The customer cannot change the package less (Speed) until the end of the contract 12 months.
  10. If services are suspended due to credit limit or unpaid bills. Services included in the package are all suspended. When payment service fee (payment channel) under the condition, the customer can use various services as normally.
  11. The Company reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice.

Number 4 says free installation. Most internet installations by all the Thai ISPs now days are free or very low cost.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

Get discount for SUPER Hi-Speed Broadband for 12 months*
* If the customers choose this special package will not receive AIS PLAYBOX and not get an extra 10% for AIS customer ** Subscribe from April 21, 2016 onwards
Is it for everyone or just AIS postpaid users?

PowerHome Package (Internet Only) (FTTH)
PowerHome Package for SUPER Hi-Speed Broadband only.
Package Download Speed Upload Speed Monthly service fee (BAHT)
PowerHome Package 15/5 Mbps (no Playbox) 15 Mbps 5 Mbps 440
PowerHome Package 20/7 Mbps (no Playbox) 20 Mbps 7 Mbps 590

It seems offered to everybody.

20/7 at 590 baht + vat seems amazing. Well, atleast for first 12 months. I'm sure they'll increase price back to normal after one year.

From OP's original post (the link)

"AIS's post-paid subscribers will get a 10-per-cent discount per month as long as they remain our post-paid subscribers. New post-paid subscribers will also get the privilege," he said.

AIS yesterday also unveiled a new strategy to capture more AIS Fibre subscribers with the prepaid model.

To me prepaid is a pay for a month if I do't wan't next month I don't pay. Not sign up for 12 month.

I don't think they will install a real prepaid internet for free.

I can't find 100% confirmation, any one??

AIS yesterday also unveiled a new strategy to capture more AIS Fibre subscribers with the prepaid model.

To me prepaid is a pay for a month if I do't wan't next month I don't pay. Not sign up for 12 month.

I don't think they will install a real prepaid internet for free.

I can't find 100% confirmation, any one??

Appears the prepaid model is limited to certain universities right now...see below weblink/partial quote.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/news_content4.html

AIS Fibre introduces “Dorm Net” for student dorms. A new business model of pre-paid high-speed broadband internet is a first for Thailand

Archived