Doubts about my teaching skills

To me, it sounds like a good start on a possible teaching career. Wht not try it out and learn as much as you can along the way. There are lots of TEFL courses around in schools and on the web. Maybe it will be the start of a career that you will grow into. If your first 11 months are intolerable, you will gain experience and knowledge that will allow to get a better position after that. Don't ignore the fact that TOEFL is a world-wide industry with openings in just about any country. Good luck.

Career ? Career ? Did you write Career ? yea a real "career" at minimum wage in an education system of a "No Fail" policy. hiring "teachers" that have not been trained properly in education studies.Yea a career in learning a looser's life style..

The word is 'loser's'.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put your doubts behind you and try it. Do your best. Be kind- firm but not angry and be considerate. Learn from others Be humourous like Mr Bean. You must take this opportunity - not to do so would be cowardice. You must at leaSt try. If it does not work out - no harm no foul. You will grow through the experience. I did.something similar and years later ended up on a 75K salary 75K British pounds sterling and travelled all round the world and retired early to Pattaya and still travel where I want and when I want without fear. Ignore the naysayers and ignoramuses on TV. The negative posters are cowards and losers. Good luck mate.

FYI, I have decided against it. I have taken many things into consideration why not to go for it. Firstly the offer comes at a very bad timing, I've been traveling for six months now (yes I'm a backpacker) and almost depleted all my savings. I started to wonder how I'll even manage to save enough money for my eventual flight back home with those 35k a month. Strangely enough the pessimists here had an impact on me, including the guy calling people like me a loser. Although I don't agree on the loser part, the question why taking such a low paid job (after you earned almost 3 times more just a few months ago back home) would seem legitimate. For my part it makes more sense to go back home, build up some proper savings again and book that one way flight to BKK. It appears it's very easy to become a teacher in Thailand, I mean hey, you don't even have to actively look for a job, evening shopping at Tesco will do the trick as well.

As for being able to teach kids properly without having previous experience in that field, I can now confidently say that this won't be a problem. I followed the advice of one poster here who suggested to sit in on the other English teachers' lessons to get a feeling whether I could manage. I did that yesterday for an hour and also spent some time in the teacher's room where students regularly show up to discuss tests they failed. It was a bit shocking to learn that some of the students couldn't even answer the most basic questions like 'How old are you' 'Where are you from'. And those kids where matthayom 5! What I've learned is that the Thai teachers do the grammer and other rules with them, the foreign teacher's part is indeed to have a conversation with them and play games. To be honest I doubt I would have much or any impact on the students in terms of improving their English proficiency as I'd have around 800 students to teach, with 20 classes a week, so on average 40 students per class. So each student would see me once week for 50 minutes, together with the other 39 students. So I'd be able to focus on one student just about one minute per week. Also, I'd have to be at school at 7.30am, even if my schedule says that my first class is at 10am.

Considering all this I thought it might not be right job at the right time. It might not ever be the right job, but at least if I decided to consider it again, I will have savings to enjoy Bangkok fully without having to worry how to afford my flight back home.

Put your doubts behind you and try it. Do your best. Be kind- firm but not angry and be considerate. Learn from others Be humourous like Mr Bean. You must take this opportunity - not to do so would be cowardice. You must at leaSt try. If it does not work out - no harm no foul. You will grow through the experience. I did.something similar and years later ended up on a 75K salary 75K British pounds sterling and travelled all round the world and retired early to Pattaya and still travel where I want and when I want without fear. Ignore the naysayers and ignoramuses on TV. The negative posters are cowards and losers. Good luck mate.

Apart from on the education of the children!

Obviously not a qualified teacher. You

Will do more harm than good and be

Frustrated in an attempt to teach. Get some

Experience and go back to college and get

A degree in Education.

I love the way the onus is always on the foreign teachers here in Thailand. They've all just been grouped as bad apples. The schools and directors, etc can do no wrong. For 35k, the 'farang' teacher must have a degree in education, experience and must not ever complain.

35K a month is a TEFL job, people. These positions aren't for properly qualified teachers back in the west. No matter how hard you dress up the noble profession of teaching. For 35k, you're basically just getting a white face in the classroom. All you can reasonably expect is that these people have integrity, work hard and try their hardest. They're not Harvard lecturers.

I often find that it's the 'big shot' expats that have a genuine problem here with younger foreigners teaching 'TEFL'. Look at them with distain as if they're not good enough to be here. Well here's some news for you; many of you here are bankers, brokers and lawyers, etc. You certainly aren't pillars of society either. In fact, back in the west, many people have a large distrust in you.

As for the original sentiment, just go for it. This job is at a TEFL level. We all start off at the beginning. At 35k, just do your best. Also, do the maths. If you're teaching, let's say 100 kids in total a month, that's 35k divided by 100. That's each child's parents paying 350 Baht for a month of English. It's all about context. And as you can imagine, that's not all they're paying. But let's not get bogged down with details.

With a degree and a decent TEFL qualification you would be qualified to teach EFL anywhere in the world. Just take a look at the TEFL jobs currently being advertised for the summer in the UK.

Obviously I need the money as well. If I had the choice I would do a different job, but I don't have a choice right now. I did not fake my CV or told them things about myself which are not true. The thing is they offered me the job knowing I have no or very little experience teaching English. So I presume it must be common for newbies to start such a career in Thailand. My research online confirms that theory too.

Ignore the eternal pessimists on TV.... The fact is that Thailand doesn't pay enough to attract the sort of teachers that they refer to, and you at least sound like you care and will make an effort to teach, you'll soon know if you're doing a decent job so good luck.

Would you want him or her teaching your children?

You usually get what you pay for in this life, so if I were to send my kids to a cheap school, then I'd be happy if the teachers had a positive approach. And I know some well qualified teachers who are just dreadful..... The only difference being they think they are good.

I'm a retired US native English (well, American English) speaker with 105 graduate hours beyond my masters in education, taught high school students as a career, so I have "creds". Teaching is something of a "performing art" so those who see it as similar to being doctor or dentist are just off, imo. You will compete for their attention just like having a TV talk show. You seem to want to do well, and that is half the battle. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't and adapt. Results may vary. There are teachers with Phd's that couldn't teach a kid how to tie shoes, and there are teachers with no paperwork who are fantastic.

Wondering if doing well enough and having doubt can be a good thing. That discomfort could spur you on to do better. Don't expect lots of external rewards, praise, etc. Doesn't seem to go with the territory in my experience. I might consider it a plus that you are non-native speaker: you no doubt have bumped up against the rather chaotic areas of English so can empathize with the students in ways native speakers couldn't.

Good luck, hope you do it, and maybe report back to us in a few months.

As an educated "educator" would you willingly allow your children to be "taught" by an unqualified "teacher" who was recruited in Super market ?

Probably, depending on their role in the process.

If Christiano Ronaldo offered to come and help your kids with ball skills, would you say, "No way, you're not a qualified teacher..."?

Since when are hooligans aehh football players teachers? Please wake me up when you grew up. Thanks for your kindness. wai2.gif

FYI, I have decided against it. I have taken many things into consideration why not to go for it. Firstly the offer comes at a very bad timing, I've been traveling for six months now (yes I'm a backpacker) and almost depleted all my savings. I started to wonder how I'll even manage to save enough money for my eventual flight back home with those 35k a month. Strangely enough the pessimists here had an impact on me, including the guy calling people like me a loser. Although I don't agree on the loser part, the question why taking such a low paid job (after you earned almost 3 times more just a few months ago back home) would seem legitimate. For my part it makes more sense to go back home, build up some proper savings again and book that one way flight to BKK. It appears it's very easy to become a teacher in Thailand, I mean hey, you don't even have to actively look for a job, evening shopping at Tesco will do the trick as well.

As for being able to teach kids properly without having previous experience in that field, I can now confidently say that this won't be a problem. I followed the advice of one poster here who suggested to sit in on the other English teachers' lessons to get a feeling whether I could manage. I did that yesterday for an hour and also spent some time in the teacher's room where students regularly show up to discuss tests they failed. It was a bit shocking to learn that some of the students couldn't even answer the most basic questions like 'How old are you' 'Where are you from'. And those kids where matthayom 5! What I've learned is that the Thai teachers do the grammer and other rules with them, the foreign teacher's part is indeed to have a conversation with them and play games. To be honest I doubt I would have much or any impact on the students in terms of improving their English proficiency as I'd have around 800 students to teach, with 20 classes a week, so on average 40 students per class. So each student would see me once week for 50 minutes, together with the other 39 students. So I'd be able to focus on one student just about one minute per week. Also, I'd have to be at school at 7.30am, even if my schedule says that my first class is at 10am.

Considering all this I thought it might not be right job at the right time. It might not ever be the right job, but at least if I decided to consider it again, I will have savings to enjoy Bangkok fully without having to worry how to afford my flight back home.

Have a great flight. wai.gif

You can learn plenty from non qualified teachers and conversely some qualified teachers are not very good. My friend taught me maths tp pass an exam I needed My pal teaches my kids music. Both brilliant - neither teachers. Let me tell you this our kid. When you get back home you will be depresses and bitterly regret not taking the opportunity that was given to you on a plate. Mark my words - when back home you will be depressed and regretful. As for 35 k baht. That is a apprentice wage. It would have increased. But I will add something: it takes real courage to learn a language and real courage to teach. Obviously you do not have the 'grit'.

You can learn plenty from non qualified teachers and conversely some qualified teachers are not very good. My friend taught me maths tp pass an exam I needed My pal teaches my kids music. Both brilliant - neither teachers. Let me tell you this our kid. When you get back home you will be depresses and bitterly regret not taking the opportunity that was given to you on a plate. Mark my words - when back home you will be depressed and regretful. As for 35 k baht. That is a apprentice wage. It would have increased. But I will add something: it takes real courage to learn a language and real courage to teach. Obviously you do not have the 'grit'.

When back home he will be unemployable as a "teacher" but you will, no doubt prove me to be wrong.

When back home he will be unemployable as a "teacher" but you will, no doubt prove me to be wrong.

He can teach EFL in his home country but he'll probably find the rate of pay isn't much higher than Thailand.

He can teach EFL in his home country but he'll probably find the rate of pay isn't much higher than Thailand.

That may or may not be true but what is for certain is this unqualified "teacher" will not passing through any school gates and will not be allowed access to children in the school system of any Western Country that I am aware of.

That may or may not be true but what is for certain is this unqualified "teacher" will not passing through any school gates and will not be allowed access to children in the school system of any Western Country that I am aware of.

True. But he if he is TEFL qualified and has a degree, he can teach EFL anywhere. I can't be bothered to read back through the thread to see what qualifications he has. My point was in regard to TEFL as a career.

Although I agree with a certain aspect of your post, it has a certain flaw.

By far, the best English speaking Thai students I know, did not learn it from qualified teachers, with numerous proper degrees from their home country, but from their western stepfathers, most of whom have no qualifications at all. However, one to one teaching, with someone who the student feels comfortable with, is a hell of a lot different to teaching 40+ students, most of whom are not interested in the slightest.

Obviously I need the money as well. If I had the choice I would do a different job, but I don't have a choice right now. I did not fake my CV or told them things about myself which are not true. The thing is they offered me the job knowing I have no or very little experience teaching English. So I presume it must be common for newbies to start such a career in Thailand. My research online confirms that theory too.

From what you have said in your posts I would not want my daughters taught by you. Your English is in my opinion inadequate to allow you to teach

You usually get what you pay for in this life, so if I were to send my kids to a cheap school, then I'd be happy if the teachers had a positive approach. And I know some well qualified teachers who are just dreadful..... The only difference being they think they are good.

BOOM! There it is! After watching the venom spew from some of these "qualified teachers" in this thread, I think I'll take the "unqualified" guy with a positive attitude and who wants to do his best over the angry haters who swear they're being shortchanged. If they think their attitude doesn't seep out on the kids they teach, they are only kidding themselves.

I'm a retired US native English (well, American English) speaker with 105 graduate hours beyond my masters in education, taught high school students as a career, so I have "creds". Teaching is something of a "performing art" so those who see it as similar to being doctor or dentist are just off, imo. You will compete for their attention just like having a TV talk show. You seem to want to do well, and that is half the battle. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't and adapt. Results may vary. There are teachers with Phd's that couldn't teach a kid how to tie shoes, and there are teachers with no paperwork who are fantastic.

Wondering if doing well enough and having doubt can be a good thing. That discomfort could spur you on to do better. Don't expect lots of external rewards, praise, etc. Doesn't seem to go with the territory in my experience. I might consider it a plus that you are non-native speaker: you no doubt have bumped up against the rather chaotic areas of English so can empathize with the students in ways native speakers couldn't.

Good luck, hope you do it, and maybe report back to us in a few months.

As an educated "educator" would you willingly allow your children to be "taught" by an unqualified "teacher" who was recruited in Super market ?

Probably, depending on their role in the process.

If Christiano Ronaldo offered to come and help your kids with ball skills, would you say, "No way, you're not a qualified teacher..."?

Since when are hooligans aehh football players teachers? Please wake me up when you grew up. Thanks for your kindness. wai2.gif

You clearly enjoyed a few cold ones after school on Thursday.

I hope the head didn't hurt too much on Friday morning.

Archived