Doubts about my teaching skills

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a person admits they need money to stay in Thailand, do not have prerequisite skills to be a teacher and take the job anyways, that pretty much sums up the majority of foreign teachers in Thailand.

I never could understand how in the world someone would want to live in Thailand for 30k a month?

Sure you can survive but as the years click on sooner or later you release you will have no retirement or anything else in life; no house, no car, no nothing.

I would seriously not want anyone working for me with that little ambition.

You can call yourself teacher or what ever you like, however, you are not a teacher.

If you were, you would probably still be teaching in your own country instead of working for peanuts in Thailand.

Maybe some of the teachers can claim, oh but teaching Thai kids is so rewarding blah, blah, blah, but that is just a sack to convince themselves to work for almost nothing.

There isn't a thai woman in the entire country that would be worth giving up life and working for 30K a month.

For those business owners and retirees with a fat pension, good on you.

However if your only existence in life is to teach English in Thailand, you have already failed miserably.

It's a real shame the Thai authorities can't see what is staring them in the face. They could improve the teaching of English in many schools by co-opting native English speaking retirees on a voluntary or honorarium basis to teach English for a couple of hours a week. I'm sure there are many retirees who would like to contribute, if only they were allowed to.

Retirees would also benefit by more exposure to the Thai language. The ingrained Thai respect for age would also be a factor.

I wonder if the pessimists have ever taught ? Or hold a teaching degree ? Or even been to a Thai temple/village school ?

If you can play a guitar and sing -- that's what the Thai management want.

If you can joke around and encourage the kids to participate or be a person that the kids respect and can relate to, that's what the management want.

I'm not saying this is should be the case, but it's the truth as far as I can tell.

The local teachers can teach the grammar. The schools don't want western teachers imitating Thai teachers they want facilitators that can engage the kids.

It's good you have doubts - I think you should also realize it's not an easy job, for one - to get your work permit as a NNES you should require a TOEIC which you will probably have to stump of for yourself - 2,000B+
I think it took me quite a while to balance out the low salary with expenditure ( learning materials / travel cost / clothing ) / time and effort spent out of class Vs my home life and time spent doing prep out of school hours. It's in no way a money earner.

Don't worry about "teaching skills" most of these so called "international schools" will hire any one off the street that has a white face,can udder English< and is willing to work for a very low wage.The school is about making money for the owners and looking good to the parents ( white faces greeting them when they drop the students) and not about proper education.You will be adjusting all test scores to pass all students to make the school look good.Once again don't worry it is a way to enjoy a couple of years here with a paycheck. So enjoy "Teacher" 5555

Base on what you wrote you don't qualify to legally teach at the moment. And when Thais just 'bump into me' and start talking about jobs, I'm leery at best, and highly skeptical at worst, and I do qualify as a teacher here in Thailand. If you really want to teach here, look into how to go about it properly, understand the requirements, understand the scams, and then wade into the water. Just saying... there is no way you're going to accomplish that this term an obtain a job legally.

I wonder if the pessimists have ever taught ? Or hold a teaching degree ? Or even been to a Thai temple/village school ?

If you can joke around and encourage the kids to participate or be a person that the kids respect and can relate to, that's what the management want.

The local teachers can teach the grammar, pretty well - the schools want to learning facilitators that can engage the kids.

"The local teachers can teach the grammar, pretty well - the schools want to learning facilitators that can engage the kids."

Best you sign up with a local teacher for a few lessons !

The local teachers can teach the grammar, pretty well - the schools want to learning facilitators that can engage the kids.

"The local teachers can teach the grammar, pretty well - the schools want to learning facilitators that can engage the kids."

Best you sign up with a local teacher for a few lessons !

Yes, you got me there ! .. I'm tired, I have a sickness bug that I picked up in the first week of term and typing on my phone while listening to the wife rattle on. I was in the process of editing .. Hands up .. I didn't realise the post was being graded, sorry.

I have a few questions that seem to worry only me.

A man approaches me about a job teaching. Why did he approach you were you the only white peson in the building?

I did not need my CV. thought schools had to do due diligence.

I am here on a 30 day visa (how many days do you have left on the visa?

School is going to look after my visa issues. In order to stay you would have to have either a tourist visa, and Education visa, work permit and NON B or be retired.

None of which can be done in a hurry.

I have no problem with you teaching as something is better than nothing and a lot of schools even when you have the training just want something with a white face.

My only concern is that there is a lot that YOU ARE TAKING ON FACE.

to quote a good friend

BE VEWY VEWY CAREFUL

I'm neither a teacher nor a native English speaker but I would have a bit of advice for any English teacher here: use music! Thais in general and Thai kids in particular love songs. I'm sure that much could be achieved by learning lyrics. Of course even much better if you can play guitar and have them sing along.

I've never seen this happening in any English class I've witnessed in Thailand. Of course that would not replace learning the fundamentals of the language such as grammar and tenses but it's my feeling that it would tremendously help to keep interest up.

Actually, the main reason why unlike so many of my compatriots, even among young graduates, I have a decent control of the English language (or so I hope... you're welcome to tell otherwise and correct my mistakes) is that I had this wonderful young English teacher some 40 years ago, a skilled guitar player as well, who really made me love the language through learning the lyrics of some great songs. I can remember "Sounds of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel, "Epitaph" from King Crimson and so many others which I still know by heart.

i guess this kind of advice is relevant if you're the kind of person who takes medical advice from someone who has never studied medicine, let someone you met in the street carry out a dental procedure on your teeth or takes legal advice from a bloke you meet in the bar, etc, etc... coffee1.gif

Oh my, how contemptuous this is.

I made it very clear that I was no teacher and that this was only based on my personal experience. It worked very well for me and for the other kids in the classroom, but I can't put a certificate from the Ministry of Education on this.

Just my two satangs, really. Take it or leave it.

By the way, I'm a senior IT professional and I sometimes pay attention to inputs of people who have never studied IT or anything but still have a lot of common sense. They can provide valuable hints sometimes, you know. Maybe you should consider doing the the same...

Next time you are online, take a look at the site called Wikipedia. It will help your English teaching "skill" and benefit both you and the Thai students with spelling of even the most basic words.

I love the way the onus is always on the foreign teachers here in Thailand. They've all just been grouped as bad apples. The schools and directors, etc can do no wrong. For 35k, the 'farang' teacher must have a degree in education, experience and must not ever complain.

35K a month is a TEFL job, people. These positions aren't for properly qualified teachers back in the west. No matter how hard you dress up the noble profession of teaching. For 35k, you're basically just getting a white face in the classroom. All you can reasonably expect is that these people have integrity, work hard and try their hardest. They're not Harvard lecturers.

I often find that it's the 'big shot' expats that have a genuine problem here with younger foreigners teaching 'TEFL'. Look at them with distain as if they're not good enough to be here. Well here's some news for you; many of you here are bankers, brokers and lawyers, etc. You certainly aren't pillars of society either. In fact, back in the west, many people have a large distrust in you.

As for the original sentiment, just go for it. This job is at a TEFL level. We all start off at the beginning. At 35k, just do your best. Also, do the maths. If you're teaching, let's say 100 kids in total a month, that's 35k divided by 100. That's each child's parents paying 350 Baht for a month of English. It's all about context. And as you can imagine, that's not all they're paying. But let's not get bogged down with details.

Obviously I need the money as well. If I had the choice I would do a different job, but I don't have a choice right now. I did not fake my CV or told them things about myself which are not true. The thing is they offered me the job knowing I have no or very little experience teaching English. So I presume it must be common for newbies to start such a career in Thailand. My research online confirms that theory too.

Are you a qualified professional teacher with relevant experience? No.

Are you doing the job out of necessity to get some money and a valid visa / extension of stay and WP? Yes.

Do you think a non native speaker, who has lived in any country for a few years, is qualified to teach that language?

Do you think someone with a minute amount of voluntary teaching experience and no relevant qualifications can teach? I think you know the real answers.

Do yourself a favor, and more importantly do one for the children.

Are you a qualified professional teacher?

Where did you obtain your degree in Education?

What was your GPA?

Or are you like the vast majority of teachers in Thailand who either have a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field or no degree at all.

Do you honestly think that a qualified teacher from a Western country is going to work in a government or private school that pays peanuts.

I don't.

For the ridiculously low salaries they pay foreigners for teaching in this country he'd be doing the children a favor just by being there.

I love the way the onus is always on the foreign teachers here in Thailand. They've all just been grouped as bad apples. The schools and directors, etc can do no wrong. For 35k, the 'farang' teacher must have a degree in education, experience and must not ever complain.

35K a month is a TEFL job, people. These positions aren't for properly qualified teachers back in the west. No matter how hard you dress up the noble profession of teaching. For 35k, you're basically just getting a white face in the classroom. All you can reasonably expect is that these people have integrity, work hard and try their hardest. They're not Harvard lecturers.

I often find that it's the 'big shot' expats that have a genuine problem here with younger foreigners teaching 'TEFL'. Look at them with distain as if they're not good enough to be here. Well here's some news for you; many of you here are bankers, brokers and lawyers, etc. You certainly aren't pillars of society either. In fact, back in the west, many people have a large distrust in you.

As for the original sentiment, just go for it. This job is at a TEFL level. We all start off at the beginning. At 35k, just do your best. Also, do the maths. If you're teaching, let's say 100 kids in total a month, that's 35k divided by 100. That's each child's parents paying 350 Baht for a month of English. It's all about context. And as you can imagine, that's not all they're paying. But let's not get bogged down with details.

Hey ! I have news for you ! I am not a banker, broker or a lawyer but I do have a good education. Whilst at school I also learnt to speak,read and write two "foreign languages which were taught by real degree qualified Teachers who were native bi lingual speakers of those languages.

When the wannabe "teachers," those with some "tefl" nonsense (picked off the internet) can get past a school gate in the West and provide references attesting their teaching experience/skill then let me know.

If you think children should be exposed to these non teachers than begin at home. Let us chuck out all those real Teachers that infest Western schools and go for the 350 bht option.

Those who are Qualified Teachers should not look in SE Asia if they expect Western salaries

I'm a retired US native English (well, American English) speaker with 105 graduate hours beyond my masters in education, taught high school students as a career, so I have "creds". Teaching is something of a "performing art" so those who see it as similar to being doctor or dentist are just off, imo. You will compete for their attention just like having a TV talk show. You seem to want to do well, and that is half the battle. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't and adapt. Results may vary. There are teachers with Phd's that couldn't teach a kid how to tie shoes, and there are teachers with no paperwork who are fantastic.

Wondering if doing well enough and having doubt can be a good thing. That discomfort could spur you on to do better. Don't expect lots of external rewards, praise, etc. Doesn't seem to go with the territory in my experience. I might consider it a plus that you are non-native speaker: you no doubt have bumped up against the rather chaotic areas of English so can empathize with the students in ways native speakers couldn't.

Good luck, hope you do it, and maybe report back to us in a few months.

As an educated "educator" would you willingly allow your children to be "taught" by an unqualified "teacher" who was recruited in Super market ?

Are teachers in the USA recruited, at random, by people roaming around supermarkets ?

Do you know where all the agencies get their "teachers' from?

BTW, I do not believe that a guy who just wants to extend his stay can be a great teacher. Maybe a good preacher? Who knows.....facepalm.gif

I would ask to sit in on a few of the other English teachers' lessons there to see what's expected of you and just to get a feel of whether you could manage and if you're cut out for it.

To me, it sounds like a good start on a possible teaching career. Wht not try it out and learn as much as you can along the way. There are lots of TEFL courses around in schools and on the web. Maybe it will be the start of a career that you will grow into. If your first 11 months are intolerable, you will gain experience and knowledge that will allow to get a better position after that. Don't ignore the fact that TOEFL is a world-wide industry with openings in just about any country. Good luck.

Hey ! I have news for you ! I am not a banker, broker or a lawyer but I do have a good education. Whilst at school I also learnt to speak,read and write two "foreign languages which were taught by real degree qualified Teachers who were native bi lingual speakers of those languages.

When the wannabe "teachers," those with some "tefl" nonsense (picked off the internet) can get past a school gate in the West and provide references attesting their teaching experience/skill then let me know.

If you think children should be exposed to these non teachers than begin at home. Let us chuck out all those real Teachers that infest Western schools and go for the 350 bht option.

Those who are Qualified Teachers should not look in SE Asia if they expect Western salaries

Shouldn't you and the other haters like you take your complaints to the schools doing the hiring? They are in control, they can decide to listen to you and all the other hostiles in here and take your wise counsel on hiring standards.

It seems to me you are frustrated and simply lashing out a bit hysterically.

It's a 'TEFL' job. Some of you don't quite understand what that means.

This isn't a job for a fully bona fide teacher. Stop thinking of your teachers back in the west. Just because the schools have unrealistic expectations of how qualified their 35k teacher should be because they put money 1st, doesn't mean you don't know what this job entails.

Comparing your language teacher back home who was given a much better salary, paid holidays, rights and benefits is pointless.

Seems a very strange post. "....this guy comes up to me and asks me if I would be interested in teaching English at his school" Why would someone you don't know and who doesn't know you, just walk up to you and ask if you wanted to teach at his school? Something is missing, like most of the story, here.

As a non native speaker and today teaching in Thailand I would say go for it! Even if you might not be the best teacher you are better than no teacher and probably better than a Thai teacher!

It might be hard in the beginning but if you really work hard and do this because you can make a difference in the life of the children then it will be rewarding.

I'm lucky and have moved away from being English teacher to teach subjects related to agriculture (to be honest, vocational students are the worst students in the educational system). But why I really like teaching are those students who want to something with their lives; I have former students who today are working as cabin crew for Thai Airways, working and studying in Denmark, Israel and Japan and so on. They can all do this because they studied English! The best rewards are when a former student tell me that they can do something because they studied with me and that they liked to study with me as I made them like English (most thai students actually don't like to study English and students studying vocational education are even more negative to English), this is because most Thai teachers teaching English can only teach grammar and don't even know how to use the language in in an everyday situation.

I find it quite troubling that someone who has gained some experience in teaching, but is apparently not a qualified teacher, wants to encourage others to follow suit. Even if the person being encouraged seems even less qualified.

Many native English speakers couldn't teach English, nor should they be allowed to. Teaching children is a profession that required traines professional people. Not tourists and back packers looking to extend their trips and raise some finance.

I don't know where you come from but the English language of your post isn't brilliant. No idea what your pronunciation is like. You are happy to slag Thai teachers off as a stereotype generalization but we have no idea of your knowledge, competence and ability to teach English grammar.

The notion that just because you get by in English somehow qualifies you to teach is actually reason enough not to allow you to teach.

There are good, bad and excellent teachers in every educational system. But most don't allow non qualified teachers to simply walk in off the street.

You should check your own English before slagging off others.

I'm a retired US native English (well, American English) speaker with 105 graduate hours beyond my masters in education, taught high school students as a career, so I have "creds". Teaching is something of a "performing art" so those who see it as similar to being doctor or dentist are just off, imo. You will compete for their attention just like having a TV talk show. You seem to want to do well, and that is half the battle. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't and adapt. Results may vary. There are teachers with Phd's that couldn't teach a kid how to tie shoes, and there are teachers with no paperwork who are fantastic.

Wondering if doing well enough and having doubt can be a good thing. That discomfort could spur you on to do better. Don't expect lots of external rewards, praise, etc. Doesn't seem to go with the territory in my experience. I might consider it a plus that you are non-native speaker: you no doubt have bumped up against the rather chaotic areas of English so can empathize with the students in ways native speakers couldn't.

Good luck, hope you do it, and maybe report back to us in a few months.

As an educated "educator" would you willingly allow your children to be "taught" by an unqualified "teacher" who was recruited in Super market ?

Probably, depending on their role in the process.

If Christiano Ronaldo offered to come and help your kids with ball skills, would you say, "No way, you're not a qualified teacher..."?

You really don't get it, do you? This is 'TEFL'. This isn't proper teachers. They're not here to teach anything other than English as a foreign language. It's a gap year job and is geared as such. The salary is measly, there are no benefits whatsoever and a lot of places offer 9-10 month contracts. Stopped getting confused with fully qualified teachers who get paid a proper salary and benefits.

Many schools for a long time have thought that it's their god given right to be able to employ proper teaches for low salaries and no benefits. The world doesn't work like that. You want proper teachers then pay. You don't wanna pay? Well, make do with what you can get.

Again, this is 'TEFL'. We have TEFL language centres in UK, too. They pay their teachers poorly as it's 'TEFL'. There's an old expression - "Don't hate the player hate the game". When does it get to the point where you've employed so many bad teachers that you begin to realise 'Maybe I'm the problem'.

One advantage is to gain experience in teaching and the curriculum. Once you get a bit of experience you may be able to do one on one teaching or small group teaching by yourself. This is particularly the case is you are out in the country somewhere. You can work the hours that suit you the best and you are your own boss, charging about 300 Baht per hour.

That's part of the reason I was keen to get some experience at a local high school - to better understand the expectations, how the system works and to build up some contacts - in case I want to set myself up to do some teaching work on my own terms and hours.

I suppose I should have prefaced my remarks about "going for it" and taking the job. The disincentives to Western qualified teachers are numerous: poor pay, working conditions, bureaucracy, abuse, lack of respect, etc etc etc. That anyone would want to teach English in a Thai school is something of a mystery. This man wants to teach, and of course, the subsistence salary is a bit of incentive. Schools are lucky anyone applies, and given reported levels of English proficiency by certified Thai teachers, would seem to be at least a notch or two above what is available from natives. It's an imperfect world to say the least. You make do with what is available. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse so much.

See post # 35

To me, it sounds like a good start on a possible teaching career. Wht not try it out and learn as much as you can along the way. There are lots of TEFL courses around in schools and on the web. Maybe it will be the start of a career that you will grow into. If your first 11 months are intolerable, you will gain experience and knowledge that will allow to get a better position after that. Don't ignore the fact that TOEFL is a world-wide industry with openings in just about any country. Good luck.

Career ? Career ? Did you write Career ? yea a real "career" at minimum wage in an education system of a "No Fail" policy. hiring "teachers" that have not been trained properly in education studies.Yea a career in learning a looser's life style..

Archived